Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 CB900F Honda Hornet Review

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by parsley
    Agreed, but in my experience most bikes have a crap view out the mirrors. Are there bikes out there where they work?
    K75 BMW. Absolutely no vibration, crystal clear at all speeds, and excellent field of view. Far and away the best I've ever seen on a bike. As good as any cage. Maybe the only good thing going for the K75, but it dead smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Avignon
    As for being twitchy on the initial throttle, I dont really notice that, I'd call it precise fuel mapping with instant response. As for you sore arse I'd recommend lower and slightly further forward handlebars which would change your riding position and get you out of the windblast, and bars are quite cheap - made in NZ etc. The seats got a ton of padding esp compared to my gixxer and all I can say is you must have a bony ass or be a scrawny unit (no offence) to think its uncomfortable, however a custom saddle like a corbin etc is appealing. But im going to do the exhausts first and liberate a bit of sound.
    I'm going to give the bike another try. Maybe its just me prefering slightly more throttle movement for the initial opening, helping smooth things out.
    Would have to get different bars, the seat is really good, but I was just at the wrong angle. If I take it out again I might have to jack the preload on the rear up a couple of notches. I'm around 85-90kg and it wasnt really turning in like I think it should.

Didnt mind the mirrors. I've seen worse, like the sv650s which I rode on the same day. Talk about useless.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    I've had my 04 Hornet since last November - done approx. 27,000Kms and still enjoying the bike very much. Goes plenty fast enough for me - sometimes too fast!

I get roughly 230-240Kms before the reserve warning light comes on. Depends how you ride of course, although if you ride this bike you already know how you want gas it out of every corner regardless. If I'm travelling long distances then a smidge over 240Kms. I've filled up at just over 280Kms a few times now with probably only a litre or less remaining in the tank.

I fitted a Corbin seat which I got through an Australian company - Kenma. It was on special at the time, $380 but I didn't get to choose styling or colour as it was old stock.

The seat has definitely made a difference for me in both handling and comfort departments. I used to find the edges of the stock seat would put pressure right on the bone at the top of my thighs. The contoured shape of the Corbin seat is a lot more forgiving and fantastic on long trips. There is an increase in height however and the downside of this is that I'm already a short arse! The upside is that my weight is slightly more forward, over the handle bars and hence turning in is a little more responsive and the front feels more 'planted'. My partner who rides pillion sometimes also benefits from the new seat as she has more seat area, doesn’t slip forward under breaking and can now see over my helmet – makes her feel a whole lot more comfortable being able to see the road ahead!

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to mention about the 'floppy' /delayed throttle response. My mechanic just adjusted the play in the throttle and it's much better now. You just need to take some of the slack out. To test you haven't tightened it too much turn your steering full lock in both directions, if the RPMs increase then you've tightened it up too much i.e. shouldn't be any throttle on when at full lock.

P.S. I have a sheepskin cover made by Charmans to fit a stock seat if anyone’s interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornet_small.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	16106  

Bike
    Various
    The fireblade engine has been retuned to deliver low to midrange grunt, perfect for fast starts (read 10s 1/4 mile) effortless overtaking ...
    That is pretty impressive 1/4 mile time.
    Top Speed Shootout
    Just about as quick as a Busa.

Bike
    05Honda CB900FHornet, 95GSXR750W
    QUOTE]I fitted a Corbin seat which I got through an Australian company - Kenma. It was on special at the time, $380 but I didn't get to choose styling or colour as it was old stock.[/QUOTE]

The seat looks good, it also looks colour matched, black - black.

As for the mirrors, they are fine, I have a great view of my elbows! I might try some rectangular jobbies.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Cheers Avignon,

Have you seen the mirrors with integrated turn signals? I haven't seen them in the flesh, just on the web so might actually be a bit tacky? Could be good for your conspicuity though... if you're into that.

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Quote Originally Posted by Groins_NZ
    Cheers Avignon
    Mate, when are you going to go on one of the KB rides (that im on anyway) so I can have a look at your bike ?
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    Mate, when are you going to go on one of the KB rides (that im on anyway) so I can have a look at your bike ?
    Good point, I haven't been on one for ages. Mostly go out on Sundays with the e-Rider crew. I think there is an organised brunch ride this Sunday - usually go over the Takas through to Wild Oats @ Carterton for some breaky. 09:30 start.

Bike
    Yeah Im usually heading to Martinborough much later with VTWIN et al. Only for the last couple of months though (newbie).

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Have you seen the new 2006 model?

The only differences I found are:
    Seat height reduced by .2 of an inch,
    Weighs a pound of butter more than the 2005 model,
    Available in a new candy red colour (I thought the 2005 model came in red also - maybe it's not candy red huh?),
    4.3 inches of travel instead of 4.7 in front suspension.

Not a great deal to look forward to in the 2006 model aye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	919_medium_01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	16285  

Bike
    Yeah, there is a candy apple 2005 bike. I chose the black one because . . . well because it looked harder. I havent seent the intergrated indicator/mirrors, however I did see a Brutale headlight fitted to a bike in a magazine somewhere which looked cool, but is probably price prohibitive. The hornet owners website 'hornetsnest' is full of crazy ad-ons, paintjobbies and things you can buy for hornets, theres some wild stuff. Im thinking of buying a stainless steel radiator guard to keep stones from fucking my radiator. Theres one guy in Japan who's spent a packet on his bike upgrading it with the best of everything possible, ohlins suspension, mavic magnesium wheels etc he even replacing the std donk with a tuned and blueprinted 919 fireblade engine, which begs tthe question why he didnt just buy a blade or a CBR1000, oh well, you probably couldnt ride it and use it in Japan anyway.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by avignon
    Yeah, there is a candy apple 2005 bike. I chose the black one because . . . well because it looked harder. I havent seent the intergrated indicator/mirrors, however I did see a Brutale headlight fitted to a bike in a magazine somewhere which looked cool, but is probably price prohibitive. The hornet owners website 'hornetsnest' is full of crazy ad-ons, paintjobbies and things you can buy for hornets, theres some wild stuff. Im thinking of buying a stainless steel radiator guard to keep stones from fucking my radiator. Theres one guy in Japan who's spent a packet on his bike upgrading it with the best of everything possible, ohlins suspension, mavic magnesium wheels etc he even replacing the std donk with a tuned and blueprinted 919 fireblade engine, which begs tthe question why he didnt just buy a blade or a CBR1000, oh well, you probably couldnt ride it and use it in Japan anyway.
    Yeah I've checked out the 'Hornetsnest' before. Have you stumbled across Wild Hair Accessories? A lot of stuff there, including radiator covers but hugely expensive!

I'm been keen to get a new radiator guard too and have thought about asking a local engineer to make one up which might work out cheaper, plus you can customise it to suit your preference.

What fly screen have you got fitted? I've been looking for one for ages but didn't like what Honda were offering (style and price), nor did I like the givi screens you can get - to me it blows the Hornets styling. I did order a National Cycle F-18 screen which took longer than 8 weeks to get here after a lot of 'chasing up' the supplier. When it finally got here I found they had supplied the wrong mounting hardware! So I have what looks like a really nice screen off the bike but I can't fit it until I receive the right mounting hardware - probably in another 6-8 weeks!!!!!!!!

Bike
    I just got a honda jobbie. I like the look good enough. The surprising thing is how much wind the thing deflects. Its tiny but makes a massive difference. The stainless radiator guards on the nest were 60 pounds, which is $180 plus shipping etc, probably $300 landed. I might take your advice and get one made. A mate of mine makes medieval armour for the movies, he did Lord Of The Rings etc, his name was in the credits. Anyway, he's got a computerized laser cutting machine which cuts 16 guage sheet stainless like its paper, so I might be able to make one cheapish. Ill talk to him and see what he says. Maybe we can make 2.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Hey Groins, I just checked out the Wild Hair site, wicked. Some tempting stuff on there.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Anyway, he's got a computerized laser cutting machine which cuts 16 guage sheet stainless like its paper.
    I reckon you guys could make something quite trick. Just have to come up with a nice design or something.

Thread Information