Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 CB900F Honda Hornet Review

Bike
    Honda Hornet 900
    I have a Jap aftermarket pipe on my 250 called a Faddy Daddy. God only know what it's supposed to do - the website isn't really written in English. Mind you, they do have .wav files of different bikes.

"It bellows out the sound so racy."
    http://www.faddy-daddy.com/e/products/index.htm
    Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. And don't start a sentence with a conjugation. (William Safire)

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by Avignon
    I just got a honda jobbie. I like the look good enough. The surprising thing is how much wind the thing deflects. Its tiny but makes a massive difference. The stainless radiator guards on the nest were 60 pounds, which is $180 plus shipping etc, probably $300 landed. I might take your advice and get one made. A mate of mine makes medieval armour for the movies, he did Lord Of The Rings etc, his name was in the credits. Anyway, he's got a computerized laser cutting machine which cuts 16 guage sheet stainless like its paper, so I might be able to make one cheapish. Ill talk to him and see what he says. Maybe we can make 2.
    Yeah, sounds good - I'd be keen. I don't think the radiators have changed dimensions between the 2004/2005 models.

We could look around the Web for designs we like the look of and go from there - make some changes maybe. Presuming your mate can do it - does he need a certain amount of patterns to fill one sheet of stainless to make it worthwhile?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by parsley
    I have a Jap aftermarket pipe on my 250 called a Faddy Daddy. God only know what it's supposed to do - the website isn't really written in English. Mind you, they do have .wav files of different bikes.

"It bellows out the sound so racy."
    http://www.faddy-daddy.com/e/products/index.htm
    They don't seem to have a product for the CB900 Hornet? Not sure about the name aye...

I researched aftermarket exhausts some time ago and found a couple that I really like the look of - just can't afford them!

This ones a great idea, plus you're meant to get better performance by using just the one silencer, yet the package doesn't spoil the Hornets styling:
    The Stash

Moriwai pipes look awesome to me - the best I've seen on a Hornet. They're meant to have a nice sound to them too. They can be seen at the following site:
    Moriwaki Experience

Lots of other examples:
    919.org

What do you other 919 owners reckon?

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Im not an owner but I reckon this looks cool.
    http://www.919.org/919exhaust_files/two_bros3.jpg
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    06 Ducati Monster S4RS, 04 Ducati 749R

Hornet 900 DIY Radiator Guard

For those who do not want to spend big $: I made my own guard out of grill sheets you can get from Repco/Super Cheap (approx $30) - available in various colours eg silver, red, blue, black. I have fitted these to several bikes - just cut it to size and secure it with cable ties in a couple of places. On the Hornet it was dead easy - I just placed it over the top of the plastic grill. I used an irridescent blue which I think is a bit hideous however it does the job.
    pretentious moi?

Bike

Hornet 900 Airbox mod

I disabled the airbox inlet flapper (unplug & block the vacuum hose) - not sure if it makes any difference power wise but it seemed to smooth out that "snatchiness" at low throttle openings.
    pretentious moi?

Bike

Hornet 900 general comments

I also find the seat shape/padding does not suit me too well - my butt cheekbones get sore so nice to know it is not just me, have tried a sheepskin on longer trips which helped a bit. I think it has got better over time, possibly the seat foam moulding to my specific shape.
    Only other issue I have with this bike is that I find it difficult to wheel around (in/out of garage, parking etc) - feels like too much weight up top which is not surprising given the engine config, big steel backbone frame, and high rise pipes. I guess this would only be a problem for shortish, scrawny old types like me though.
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by et al
    For those who do not want to spend big $: I made my own guard out of grill sheets you can get from Repco/Super Cheap (approx $30) - available in various colours eg silver, red, blue, black. I have fitted these to several bikes - just cut it to size and secure it with cable ties in a couple of places. On the Hornet it was dead easy - I just placed it over the top of the plastic grill. I used an irridescent blue which I think is a bit hideous however it does the job.
    Thanks for all the info et al, you are the master of el cheapo mods. Although going into Repco or Supercheap Auto must be a big change from the $2 Shop I reckon; are you okay (pt)?

I disabled the airbox inlet flapper (unplug & block the vacuum hose)
    Any chance of a pic? Where did you find out about this one?

my butt cheekbones get sore so nice to know it is not just me,
    AMEN to that. The Corbin seat I got makes a big difference in this respect due to the broader seat. I feel much 'fresher' after getting off my bike now, even after 500Km+ trips.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Groins_NZ
    I researched aftermarket exhausts some time ago and found a couple that I really like the look of - just can't afford them!
    Akrapovic SP series (check the akrapovic site). Easily the most sexy exhaust for the hornet. Titanium outer sleeve with carbon heat shield (see the pics).

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I disabled the airbox inlet flapper (unplug & block the vacuum hose) - not sure if it makes any difference power wise but it seemed to smooth out that "snatchiness" at low throttle openings.
    Any chance of a pic? Where did you find out about this one?
    It'll be the same as the one on the VFR. On the airbox lid, there are two ports - one (at the front of the airbox) that's open all the time, and one that (on the VFR at least) opens at 5K rpm. It has a vacuum hose, and some connection to the neutral switch, so if the bike's in gear, when it reaches the preset revs, the flapper valve opens. Honda say it's "to optomise airflow at lower revs", but the likelihood is that it's there to reduce air-intake noise at low revs to satisfy EPA / EC noise regulations.
    If you lift the tank, it's fairly obvious where the flapper valve is - it stands out like dog's balls. Pull the hose off, and plug the end of it with something the right size, such as a ball-bearing (or bend it over and wire it up).
    If you want to go the whole hog, you can rip out the whole flapper valve mechanism.
    The mod should (as said) reduce snatchiness a little, especially around the revs the flapper valve opens, and will make the air intake a little noiser, so the bike sounds more 'rorty'; even if it doesn't go any faster, it'll sound like it is.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Thanks for all the info et al, you are the master of el cheapo mods. Although going into Repco or Supercheap Auto must be a big change from the $2 Shop I reckon; are you okay (pt)?
    The best & naffest el cheapo mod I have come up with so far is my bar end caps, but I am not ready to share that with everyone yet!
    As for the airbox mod: I saw that on a Hornet forum somewhere, will see if I can find it again.
    pretentious moi?

Bike

Hornet 900 airbox mod

Pretty much like what vifferman said but is easier on the Hornet because you just have to remove the left side cover to get at the airbox.
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Pretty much like what vifferman said but is easier on the Hornet because you just have to remove the left side cover to get at the airbox.
    SWEET, cheers Vifferman and et al, I'll investigate when I get home tonight.

Bike

Hornet 900 Airbox mod link

Here is the link to a site which has info and a picture for the airbox mod:
    http://www.919.org/flap.htm
    Check out the other Hornet stuff from here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/sweepyuk/
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    05Honda CB900FHornet, 95GSXR750W
    The exhaust stash can is a good idea. As for the rest of the cans, some look cool some look uncool, I must say I prefer the carbon jobbies with a black bike, not sure I prefer the price though. Havent been able to contact my fabricating mate yet. Stay tuned.
    Vi Et Armis

Thread Information