Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 CB900F Honda Hornet Review

Bike
    06 Ducati Monster S4RS, 04 Ducati 749R

Hornet 900 exhausts

Looking at the various after market exhausts here: http://www.919.org/exhaust.htm - in my opinion I reckon Honda did an excellent job styling wise and the standard ones are my pick for looks side & rear. Of course if it is noise you are after then looks are not so important. I recall reading some time ago (in a Pommie bike mag I think) that they tried various after market exhausts and could not get any performance improvement, but again if noise is what you are after then who cares as long as it does not stuff up the power delivery.
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by et al
    Here is the link to a site which has info and a picture for the airbox mod:
    http://www.919.org/flap.htm
    Check out the other Hornet stuff from here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/sweepyuk/
    Hhhhmmm didn't get round to looking at the 'Flapper' tonight but I reckon if I disconnect the hose from the vaccum switch my Scott Oiler will stop working?

Not having looked at the mechanism is it possible just to disabled the 'Flapper' so it stays open all the time - guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ciao

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    I looked at the vaccum switch/flapper in the airbox today. I see what you mean... I was able to disconnect it no problem without interferring with the Scott Oiler (runs off manifold vaccum).

I went for a ride up to Palmerston North and didn't notice any difference though so I reckon I'll reconnect it.

Bike
    05Honda CB900FHornet, 95GSXR750W
    Im going for a pipe for the noise. I know that Pipes wont make any real difference in performance because the Hornet is designed for low to mid range grunt and peak performance figures are measured at the top of the rev range. Kiwirider magazine did a couple of micron cans on a longtermer, with dynojet, filter etc, they got a whopping 1.34hp improvement at the back wheel, hardly worth the cost if your after a performance boost, but I could handle a bit more throat/purposeful exhaust note.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    I got beaten off the lights the other day by a Golf GTi....the old Golf not the new one. He was def trying but I was a bit dissapointed. Next set of lights a Hornet 919 goes through heading the other direction. Omen I reckon (see my other 'ride a 919 like a Nana' thread).

So...was it you? heading South through Ngauranga Gorge at about 7:20am each morning?
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 Road
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    I got beaten off the lights the other day by a Golf GTi....the old Golf not the new one. He was def trying but I was a bit dissapointed. Next set of lights a Hornet 919 goes through heading the other direction. Omen I reckon (see my other 'ride a 919 like a Nana' thread).

So...was it you? heading South through Ngauranga Gorge at about 7:20am each morning?
    Who me? Because if you're asking, then yeah that could well be me.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    I got beaten off the lights the other day by a Golf GTi....the old Golf not the new one. He was def trying but I was a bit dissapointed. Next set of lights a Hornet 919 goes through heading the other direction. Omen I reckon
    Mate, Hornets are made for traffic light drags, you dust everything - esp tin tops - without even trying to go fast. First/Second/Third check the mirror - shit they arent even over the intersection yet and your 100m down the road, no kidding. To do the same thing on my gsxr requires serious effort, then again is is an old heavy dinosaur of a bike.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch008
    Nice stuff, I especially like the span adjustable clutch levers.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    what do you think of the factory Bridgestone tires that comes with the bike?
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    06 Ducati Monster S4RS, 04 Ducati 749R
    No worries at all with the tyres, I still have the originals on (just under 6000k)so have not had to think about other choices yet. I am not big on worrying about what tyres are better than others - I just ride with what I got. Have you heard anything detrimental about the OEM Bridgestones on this particular bike?
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    nop... am asking cause there is a plan to upgrade my CB400 to a CB900

Hence asking around really.... just like you having a sports bike and also a nakked.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    nop... am asking cause there is a plan to upgrade my CB400 to a CB900

Hence asking around really.... just like you having a sports bike and also a nakked.
    ahh... the source of the sale... no more struggling at my speeds esp when compared to the gixxer eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BT56's seem fine. With 2500km on the clock they grip like troopers even in the wet. I've only got slight feathering on the rear from doing a rolling burnout but they seem to grip really well. Apparently according to the marketing schmooze they use dual compound technology, where the compound in the middle in harder to give longer life etc. Still, cornering clearance is such on the Hornet that I havent scraped the pegs yet. Hopefully I'll get to the track soon and explore the grip limits with the bike cranked over on its side, break in the hero knobs on the pegs and my virgin knee sliders. On the road cranked over I have had only one slight slide/wobble once at full throttle in 2nd gear, but it was really, really minor and corrected itself. I stiffened up the rear preload 1 click to 3, 2= std and did the same corner and there was nothing. I also had a minor front end slide under breaking in the wet on Saturday, BUT, State Hwy 22 is a piece of crap in my books, I skated over one of those patches where the chip seal has all broken loose and there is just some sort of shiny seal underneath. Sort of like white lines only half a lane wide, perfect for aquaplaning. Due to the riding position and 120 front end and perhaps the BT56 I felt it all happening and eased off the front brakes, totally controllable. Many others on the ride mentioned similar slip sliding experiences. Overall good tyres and if I get 6000km out of em like Et Al ill be wrapped.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Honda Hornet 900
    How much do you love your Hornet?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Hornet-Mot...QQcmdZViewItem
    Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. And don't start a sentence with a conjugation. (William Safire)

Thread Information