Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 CB900F Honda Hornet Review

Bike
    05Honda CB900FHornet, 95GSXR750W

05 CB900F Honda Hornet Review

The 05 CB900F differs from earlier models in now having fully adjustable forks and in new colour scheme's a candy apple red and black, its also cheaper too! I chose the gloss meta-flake black. At just $10,995 the bike is a bargin and great fun!

The 919cc fireblade engine has been retuned to deliver low to midrange grunt, perfect for fast starts (read 10s 1/4 mile) effortless overtaking and due to its comfortable riding position touring duties as well. Sure it doesn't have a fairing, but you can fit a small bikini faining like I have and quite frankly the engine just doesn't care and will quite happily punch you up to nearly any speed you might want, very rapidly.

Even during the runnig in period with limited rpm available. The low to midrange torque on offer as a joy (max 5500rpm). At any set of lights or through any series of bends the Honda makes it easy to lay down globs of torque through its light clutch, fuel injection and 180 section sports radial. Once the bike was run in (750km) and the mineral oil exchanged for semi-synthetic I could really start to have some fun and rev the bike towards its peak torque of 92nm @ 6500 & 81kw/ 108.5bhp@9000prm (not sure where this is measured but probably the crank). These are very similar figures to the VTR1000.

Some journo in Spain, flat on the tank hung on to 255k indicated with no bikini
    fairing. I've seen 240 indicated after slipstreaming then overtaking a VTR SP1 (on the road), but it didin't really have too much more to come, however top speed is a bit really academic on a bike like this. Any gear, just twist the wrist and instantly the bike howls, digs in and pulls. When the bike is making it's most torgue @ 6,500rm the front wheel can be lifted on the power delivery and carried through the smooth, fuel injected throttle control up towards the 9000rm peak power. Notching up more gears is simple as long
    as the road is straight enough. I can't wheelie round corners, although I know some people can.

I've fitted a factory spec bikini fairing, which makes riding at speed and touring much more comfortable. Its surprising what such a small bit of perspex can do. Without it I'd need to be lifting weights every second day just to hang on with the wind blast above 140kph. Regardless of the retune the engine and chasis package contribute to make this a riducelously easy bike to ride fast. Steering is quick and precise. I found the front end surprisingly planted, where I could feel the road surface much more than I
    thought could be delivered through a 'comfortable' handlebar, the 120 section front and 43mm forks work well. Side to side transitions can be described as adequately fast but not razor fast as most modern supersport machines deliver but I aint going racing, Im going for a ride. And when I want to I can stick with the open class bikes easily enough, at least in open sweeper territory.

The riding position feels very natural, absolutely in control and very comfortable. My other bike is a 95Gsxr-w, heavier, more top heavy, less all round power and with a racers crouch, sore wrists after an hour. On the Hornet you sit upright and can see all around and at a simple flick of the wrist you surge forward. Honda have made a streetfighter in their own unique honda way. This aint no bad ass bandit or fazer or z-thou its a Honda, sort of sanatised/civilized muscle bike, does that make sense, I know the $10,995 brand new price made sense to me. Its happy purring along at 60kph or 100kph, the sound of the values whirring away is bliss or you can wind it up to go to jail speed, your choice.

I have now put about 3000km on the bike since new, on all sorts of road and conditions. Even in the wet it fells planted and assured. I did have a front end slide under braking in one down pour. But the road surface was de-laminated stone chip sort of like one big white line and others on the ride had identical experiences. On the plus side, it was a controllable and easily corrected slide, or more realistically the bike corrected it for me then
    flatered my riding talents.

I have also fitted Oggy knows and hope to get to a trackday soon and have some on the side fun. Warble warble marketing speak, it also has catalytic conversion, low emissions, great toolkit, multi language manual etc . . . 08/09/05 Avignon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornet 008.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	15540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornet 007.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	15541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornet 006.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	15542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornet 009.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	15550  

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Awesome write up. Im pretty keen on these bikes despite vowing not to buy another non-faired bike. I just like the simple-uncluttered looks. Tell me, your Gixxer is how big? and how long since your 250?
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Oh and welcome to the site.

Bike
    My gixxer is a 750. I stopped riding 250's about fifteen years ago. However I wouldn't turn down a ride on a well sorted 250 stroker today. I did about six months on a GN250 single then onto a GPX250 2 cylinder for the rest of my licence, then an gsx400x Impulse inline 4, to a rg500 square 4 two stroke, fz750 . . . gsx1100, trx850, gsxr750w and now a cb900F. Im sure I've missed a few somewhere.

Bike
    Aye corumba. Sorry, I was just trying to get some context regarding the review. Its important to find out what the rider has had etc. Makes your review carry a bit more weight. Thanks.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Yeah, We have a demo model at work.
    And my flat mate owns an 03 model.
    BLOODY GOOD BIKES!!!
    What more can i say.

He put lower (ventura) bars and dropped it down on the forks a bit. Made it lots easier to tip in and brought your weight further forward. Its not mine and i love it to bits.
    Not even any need to screw around with the suspension on his either.
    The 05 model needed stiffening up a bit, but with that fully adjustable shocks, its easy.
    Good choice in bike.
    AND CHEAP!!!
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    Yeah my rear really needed stiffening up. The factory setting was at 2, 1 being the softest. C- Spanner two clicks to the right and its much better. I've stiffened the front slightly as well, but otherwise its fine, Otherwise its dandy . . .
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    Nice bike, nice price, nice screen. If I wasn't such a fan of shafties, I would happily own one.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avignon
    Yeah my rear really needed stiffening up. .

Unless I'm trying hard I just run the back on the standard setting, and I'm a fat bastard. I felt the fork dive could be a bit dramatic so I've dialled in half a turn of preload and a little rebound damping. Basically though I prefer to let the suspension do its thing.

Mines a 2004 and I'm happy with it. I don't need anything quicker.

The Hornet has to be the bargain buy of the market even allowing for the other current reductions.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    What sort of fuel economy do you guys get? assume that Pritch008 has a 919?

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Took one for a spin on friday. Had less than 300km's on the clock so was pretty tight. Found it very twitchy on the very first bit of throttle. The seating position put me on my butt bones which were a little sore afterwards. Could be fixed with a different seat or lowering the bars to give a little more lean.

Plenty of guts though. Good deal.

Bike
    I haven't worked out the fuel economy yet, even though I've put a couple of thousand kays on in about two weeks. I imagine if you were restrained it could be quite frugal, wot with the fuel injection and all. I only ride on the weekends, i need a cage for work, and then only on country roads etc. I also tend to give it a bit because the engine is just so much fun to flog, so I imagine my fuel economy is poor, but compared to my car its probably fantastic.

As for being twitchy on the initial throttle, I dont really notice that, I'd call it precise fuel mapping with instant response. As for you sore arse I'd recommend lower and slightly further forward handlebars which would change your riding position and get you out of the windblast, and bars are quite cheap - made in NZ etc. The seats got a ton of padding esp compared to my gixxer and all I can say is you must have a bony ass or be a scrawny unit (no offence) to think its uncomfortable, however a custom saddle like a corbin etc is appealing. But im going to do the exhausts first and liberate a bit of sound.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    getting fixed
    I had my 2002 for about 3 months.
    No problems with the initial throttle or seat.
    Riding position is very upright but you get used to it. Lack of a fairing does keep your speed down. Worst still is the hopeless view out the mirrors.
    Overall a greatbike and one happy owner.

Bike
    Honda Hornet 900
    I love my 250, and it has the added advantage of looking like a bigger bike. Don't want people thinking I'm a learner...
    Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. And don't start a sentence with a conjugation. (William Safire)

Bike
    Honda Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinner
    Worst still is the hopeless view out the mirrors.
    Agreed, but in my experience most bikes have a crap view out the mirrors. Are there bikes out there where they work?
    Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. And don't start a sentence with a conjugation. (William Safire)

Thread Information