Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BRONZ, how about having a rethink on the 1 September ride?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    We could stop having crashes.

That'd learn 'em.
    Lol. Good luck with that mate!

Bike
    Mine
    What a celebration of mediocrity.
    Not at all. I love it when people excel. However, expecting people to be perfect all the time spells the death knell of all that makes life interesting.

Would you rather live in a world of automatons? Or where every action that may suffer even slightly from human fallibility is done by a robot?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Not at all. I love it when people excel. However, expecting people to be perfect all the time spells the death knell of all that makes life interesting.

Would you rather live in a world of automatons? Or where every action that may suffer even slightly from human fallibility is done by a robot?
    That's precisely the attitude that encourages people to not bother trying to improve themselves.

Like I said - celebrating mediocrity.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    That's precisely the attitude that encourages people to not bother trying to improve themselves.

Holy Shit!

I'm agreeing with Katman!
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Mine

Celebrating mediocrity and accepting that humans aren't perfect and never will be are two totally different things. I am definitely squarely on the latter side.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you have trouble with the distinction. I say that with no malice as I've had the same trouble myself.

Yes, the more you expect, the more you'll get. Just don't expect a pig to fly under it's own steam.

I've fought with my own perfectionism my whole life. If you expect absolute perfection you will for ever be disappointed. By all means expect excellence, just not perfection.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    By all means expect excellence, just not perfection.
    You're the only one using the word 'perfection'.

Bike
    Mine
    You're the only one using the word 'perfection'.
    Every time someone makes a comment along the lines of "just stop crashing" it makes me cringe and think "yeah, if only it was that simple". Comments like that show a complete lack of appreciation of what it means to be human and at least implies an expectation of perfection.

Bike
    Did the rethink ever occur? Or will there be 50 impotent bikers at parliament showing our resolve as a community tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    Did the rethink ever occur? Or will there be 50 impotent bikers at parliament showing our resolve as a community tomorrow?
    Wow, they're gonna do a twofer.....BRONZ ride and kick off Blue September
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    The number of people protesting over Poll Tax were probably two orders of magnitude greater as a percentage of population than the number of holders of class 6 licenses in NZ let alone active riders.

Using that as a definition of "Mass" motorcyclists will do nothing but aggrieve an already aggrieved public and bureaucracy. Their stance is we deserve our punishment for being high users of recovery and medical services as a percentage of the population.

Having a bitch about it being "unfair" that private motor vehicle users get a levy reduction and motorcyclists don't simply means that we've failed to make an impact on how data is collected and manipulated statistically and we've failed to make any inroads on the arguments that show that modern motorcycles can make significant contributions to improving congestion and are starting to take emissions management seriously. Couple that with ABS being adopted as a standard fitment (except in places like NZ where the conservative user base still thinks that dropping a bike is the best way to avoid an accident) along with optional traction control and engine management modes and you have some significant potential safety gains to communicate to the aformentioned public and bureaucracy.

Instead, BRONZ have seemingly planned a wahhh-fest instead of trying to engage with with a bureacracy who is only interested in how they can curb what we cost taxpayers.

I agree that we need professionals running the show. Someone with a doctorate in Transport Politics would be a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    At least they are trying to do something.It is a (mis)step in the right direction imho.It will work in some way to either go forward with more effective lobbying and protest ,or it wont so we will be no worse off.But it is part of the democratic process
    Impotent?Surely the impotent ones are the ones who are bleating but not actully doing anything about it.

Thread Information