GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Negative
    Road User Rule

Clause (5) and (6) do not say anything about a 3 second requirement
    2014/2015 Road Code for Motorcyclists - Page 170:
    If you are going straight thought a roundabout:
    > don't signal as you come up to the roundabout
    >signal left as you pass the exit before the one you wish to take. At some small roundabouts, it may not be possible to give three seconds warning, but it is courteous to give as much as you can.

Now, the way I read this is that the three second warning does also apply at roundabouts when possible.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You always indicate when exiting a roundabout (indicate as you pass the exit prior to yours). When turning left, indicate left all the way through. Straight through, only when exiting. Turning right, indicate right until you pass the exit prior to yours, then indicate left.
    So many people indicate right and then left, but that's when they're going straight. Or the indicate right but not left to exit the round a bout...also when going straight.

So, who indicates when no-ones around?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    So many people indicate right and then left, but that's when they're going straight. Or the indicate right but not left to exit the round a bout...also when going straight.

So, who indicates when no-ones around?
    Me, it keeps the habit strong.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    2014/2015 Road Code for Motorcyclists - Page 170:
    If you are going straight thought a roundabout:
    > don't signal as you come up to the roundabout
    >signal left as you pass the exit before the one you wish to take. At some small roundabouts, it may not be possible to give three seconds warning, but it is courteous to give as much as you can.

Now, the way I read this is that the three second warning does also apply at roundabouts when possible.
    Fair play, I disagree on how that should be interpreted. The reference to three seconds is added as a clarification to the bulletpoints, the bulletpoints reflecting what is required in plain english.
    The clarification is added because giving three seconds is a requirement elsewhere, so here it clarifies that it's not.

At the end of the day though, legislation doesn't make it a requirement and the disclaimer in the road code says that legislation takes preference over whatever the Road Code might say. So "technically" the 3 seconds goes out the window at roundabouts
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Fair play, I disagree on how that should be interpreted. The reference to three seconds is added as a clarification to the bulletpoints, the bulletpoints reflecting what is required in plain english.
    The clarification is added because giving three seconds is a requirement elsewhere, so here it clarifies that it's not.

At the end of the day though, legislation doesn't make it a requirement and the disclaimer in the road code says that legislation takes preference over whatever the Road Code might say. So "technically" the 3 seconds goes out the window at roundabouts
    I've always thought when exiting a roundabout that the 3-second rule applied (once you pass the preceding exit), but I concede the point on reflection of your reply that the rule is to indicate as you pass the preceding exit.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Look, the requirement to use indicators in a roundabout is law, it's something you have to do. However, arguing the 3 seconds in a roundabout simply isn't practical or feasible. Part of using indicators is to provide information to other road users.

Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    I remember following one car into a roundabout. They indicated left, then right, then hazards and then went straight through...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Look, the requirement to use indicators in a roundabout is law, it's something you have to do. However, arguing the 3 seconds in a roundabout simply isn't practical or feasible. Part of using indicators is to provide information to other road users.
    Gremlin, you arrived at this party too late. I conceded the point above.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    Well done dude, see you on the road
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Thread Information