Thread: GN250 carb clean

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250

GN250 carb clean

Hey there
    My 87 GN250 has a fucked carb. For the last six weeks or so, it's been cutting out at traffic lights or intersections whenever I slow down and sputtering/hesitating/backfiring before the engine completely dies. It's somewhat embarrassing but I have to get to work somehow, so... ya know.

I've come across other GN250 owners (both old and new ones) online who have had this same problem and I've been told (and I agree) that it's most likely a carburetor problem. GN250 bikes are pretty simple to work on, but my question is - How do I actually do the carburetor clean? What tools etc will I need? How long will it take and where do I start? Do I need to take other parts of the bike such as the seat, etc off in order to be able to get to the carb? If not, how do I get the carb off?
    Thanks guys!
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Few vids on ewww tube about cleaning them suckers, better if you have access to compressed air. Best if you take seat, tank, battery, airbox ect off first. Will make the job oh so much simpler for a novice. Have you got a manual? If not then have a google, plenty of stuff there for helping you out. Stick this in your pipe and smoke it too...http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    nah just smack it sideways through the frame with a hammer. That should get most of the disasembly of the carb itself done too.

Sweep the pieces into a pot of white vinegar and boil for a month.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    I've been told (and I agree) that it's most likely a carburetor problem.
    PM Crasherfromwayback .. he supplies good Coffee (apparently) from Wellington Motorcycles. He (or one of his team) should confirm (or deny) that IS the problem.

Do it right the first time ... get FACTS first. USUALLY ... the CHEAPEST option ... (trust me on this)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    nah just smack it sideways through the frame with a hammer. That should get most of the disasembly of the carb itself done too.

Sweep the pieces into a pot of white vinegar and boil for a month.
    Suzuki riders ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information