Thread: Whakamaru and back.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Whakamaru and back.

Bill and I met up at Parawera about 9.30 and cruised through the Owairaka valley to Wharepapa sth. No traffic, and the weather and roads were all good. The Waipapa road runs through some nice country with plenty of pockets of native trees and reserves. Dropping down the long hill to the Waipapa dam showed some ice still in the shaded sections.

We stopped at the dam and had a stretch of the legs. This dam country is quite picturesque.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P10301401024x768.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	546.6 KB 
ID:	299987

After dazzling Bill with tales of my trout fishing prowess on this lake ( well I did catch one once ) we continued in to Mangakino. This lake is another jewel in the Waikato Hydro system. Bill had told me of the 'Pie Truck' on the lake front so we pulled up and sure enough, It was closed
    Decided we wouldn't wait until the 1st of September when the shop opened again,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030142Stitch800x291.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	299990

I snapped this pic of the place and was about make a move when my mob ph started ringing.
    It was the Te A police telling me my wallet had been handed in. Apparently after filling up in Te A, I must've slipped it between my over trousers and my pants pocket. It was found just down the road from the sv stn. Nice to know there are still decent people around. We rode through to Whakamaru and had a coffee and pie each. Quite nice sitting in the sun although there was still a nip in the air.

From here we cruised up the road to Tokoroa. Now that much of the pine forests have been clearfelled, the road gets the sun much more than it used to. The Old Taupo rd was good going. A stop at the Arapuni dam, then around Mt Mungatautari and into Lemington.

A nice ride over roads all in good condition. Next time I'll plan a similar ride a bit further ahead so others might like to come along.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Enjoyed reading of your day's ride.

Remember the days of the NZED? You could get shown round the power houses of the hydros then - there was a pride in what they did for the nation and a great pride in having the best kept hydro station on the river... Personally, of the hydros I think Arapuni is the most interesting despite having a very soft spot for Karapiro.

You've given me another idea about where to go for a few days riding next year - after early retirement

Thread Information