Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS setup for Rescue Helicopter

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    or a spot tracker which i prefer as the gen 3 has email & text contactability.
    Even the original Spot had email & text ability.
    Gen 3 just bought in extreme tracking, motion sensor and extended battery life.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    FARK I didn't realise falling of the bike would be so complicated, falling off is the easy bit, now I know why they wanted to use the prefered system, any calculation error could put you kms away on the wrong side of a hill.
    It's not as the internet wont be there. It's only because everyones recounting their recipe flavours that its getting busy. I think Waihou is right about the group thing, on top of the red mist factor you'll have a Chinese parliament full of alpha males arguing about the gps coordinates!

10,000m2 is only 100mx100m. Factor in there's prob only one likely path across the terrain and there will be at least two bikes and riders, both being inorganic objects in an organic environment. I'm sure a rescue chopper will be able to pick them out when used to looking for camo hunters in bush.

Reminds me must get onto my project of creating a "Rider carries GPS emergency beacon" tag to go on jacket pocket and keys...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I have geosense on my phone for this. It's very handy.
    Is it the 'mindec' format you're talking about here?

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    There are a few ill informed posts on here that are incorrect.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distres...arious_beacons

See "Location Detection" in that table. GPS Position can be encoded into the Hex Code and can be updated real-time via GEOSAR
    Encoded GPS position accuracy is about 15 m (49 ft), however, the space in the hex message protocol for position information is limited, so transmitted accuracy is approximately +/- 125 metres
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    nzgdm86 means nothing. As per this page: http://www.linz.govt.nz/geodetic/dat...ctions-heights, there's a list of geodetic datums (NZGD2000, WGS84, NZGD49, etc) and projections (NZTM2000) TM meaning Transverse Mercator. NZ Topo maps are NZTM2000, so if you're reading a grid reference, that's what you're reading.

Coordinates in NZGD2000 are, for all practical purposes, the same as WGS84, the worldwide standard. Degrees, Minutes, Seconds, or decimal degrees or whatever.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ref Post #8 "Most plb just transmit rf distress signal that will be picked up by aircraft."

Old PLB's would only transmit on 121.5MHz and maybe 243MHz, for aricraft homing. Modern PLB's transmit primarily on 406MHz to satellites, transmitting their unique HEX codes, and GPS location info. Your name, phone number, NOK is not transmitted. Your HEX code is registered against your name when you register your PLB at http://beacons.org.nz/, and the NZRCC (Rescue Coordination Centre), looks up that HEX code to get your info and contact your NOK to check that it's not a false alarm.

As I mentioned earlier, the GPS in the PLB will be accurate to 15m, maybe even 5m, but there isn't enough room in the transmitted message for all that, so the position info gets truncated, resulting in an accuracy of +/- 125m when received by the NZRCC

Also, once your activate the PLB, the GPS needs to get a GPS lock, and we all know how long that can take if your GPS has no idea where it is. The first few messages your PLB sends will have the HEX code but no valid position info, but that doesn't matter too much because the satellites can do a rough triangulation (talking square km's).

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    and contact your NOK to check that it's not a false alarm.
    No they dispatch the appropriate response 4WD/ambo/fire/Chopper depending on location IMMEDIATELY. The telephoning of NOK is only for additional information that organised people might have left with them.
    Eg Harry went tramping with four buddies or Harry also has a mountain radio you might get him on channel x when closer etc...
    They'd be a lot of dead people other wise if they waited to contact NOK as while Harry has gone bush Wifey is prob spending his money down at the pokies
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Thanks Paul, having been a guest of the Lowe Walker Rescue helicopter, I think it is a great idea to assist them anyway you can. I have played with my Garmin Zumo 550 but it don't seem to have the features as you described - does have location coordinates but none of the formats you mention. Any way I did learn how to find myself if I ever had to and how to load a heap of photos onto it, so if I ever did get lost I'd have a good array of motorbike pics to look at until the chopper or wild pigs got me
    Hey Nightfalcon. Your 550 does have those different and many more options. On the main screen hit "where to" then scroll through till you get the screen with " coordinates" click on that. Then hit "format" and it takes you to the screen with all the options. The second one on my 550 is the hddd*mm.mmm
    There are also two NZ grid options which are good for referencing to the old and new topo maps.

Bike
    TR650 Husky

Use NZTM

NZTM is the standard. Set your GPS to that.
    (Or did I miss something)

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxabits View Post
    NZTM is the standard. Set your GPS to that.
    (Or did I miss something)
    Yes it is now but wasn't back in 2014
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Easier to now carry a PELB (personal emergency locator beacon) with gps capability and then registering it with NZSAR for free. You just activate it and they find your signal (anywhere in the world).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Easier to now carry a PELB (personal emergency locator beacon) with gps capability and then registering it with NZSAR for free. You just activate it and they find your signal (anywhere in the world).
    I have GPS and Spot gen 3
    https://www.motomox.co.nz/shop/show_...t.php?prod=126
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    After all that ... what will YOU do now if you are in need of help ... and are out of cell phone coverage ... ???

Or don't you ride outside of cell coverage ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    After all that ... what will YOU do now if you are in need of help ... and are out of cell phone coverage ... ???

Or don't you ride outside of cell coverage ... ???
    Spot Gen 3 is a satellite communicator with 5 separate message functions including emergency and does not require or use cell coverage.

Read the specs here https://www.motomox.co.nz/shop/show_...t.php?prod=126

Tracking function works very well, will speak if you cant
    Cheers Paul

Thread Information