Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new bike - a Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California

My new bike - a Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

I've been thinking of splashing out and buying a new motorbike. I've looked at several big adventuring touring bikes and some cruisers. I borrowed a cruiser a little while ago to take on a long ride, as I suspected that due to a back injury in 1984, I might not be able to ride a cruiser for more than a few hours without the back complaining. Sadly after a couple of hours riding the back complained. My plan to buy a Moto Guzzi California Touring bike was dealt a fatal reality check

Last year I rode over a weekend a Honda VFR1200X, the Crosstourer, and was impressed with it. Even when riding other big adventure bikes I still liked the Honda. i've no idea why, but it makes me smile and I enjoy its performance handling and ride. What more could I ask for.

So I've gone and done it. I've bought a 2013 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer. A perfect two up road touring machine that is also capable of doing some light gravel work. No more chains to maintain.

I travel to Auckland in a couple of weeks to pick up the bike and ride it back to Wellington. I'm a happy chap
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Congrats and enjoy.

Riding your new bike is always neat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    That's awesome. Congrats!

I'm looking forward to photos
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    Street Triple R
    interested to see how you get on with it. new bike is always good.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Nice, pity the panniers resemble a human organ transport box though. If the finances would allow I would have Multistrada without question.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Nice, pity the panniers resemble a human organ transport box though. If the finances would allow I would have Multistrada without question.
    The Multistrada is a nice bike, very nice. Last September I rode one in Australia over 3 days, but for me (and this reflects the individuality of personal preferences) I found I liked the Crosstourer more. I can't explain why, I just do, and that surprised me. However, even if I wanted the Multistrada I couldn't afford one, just a bit out of my price range.

While the Crosstourer comes with panniers, I have a set of metal mule side panniers which I may yet decide to use.
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I would have said they're pretty different bikes. The Multistrada is the Italian idea of a tourer (bearing in mind their idea of sportsbikes).

The Crosstourer isn't nearly that sport touring type, more of an all roads tourer, not as quick, it's heavier, but probably more comfortable for distance, more protection etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
    The Multistrada is a nice bike, very nice. Last September I rode one in Australia over 3 days, but for me (and this reflects the individuality of personal preferences) I found I liked the Crosstourer more. I can't explain why, I just do, and that surprised me. However, even if I wanted the Multistrada I couldn't afford one, just a bit out of my price range.

While the Crosstourer comes with panniers, I have a set of metal mule side panniers which I may yet decide to use.
    Way out of the question of what I would ever spend on a bike also (the Multistrada) that's a lot of cash to give away at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I would have said they're pretty different bikes. The Multistrada is the Italian idea of a tourer (bearing in mind their idea of sportsbikes).

The Crosstourer isn't nearly that sport touring type, more of an all roads tourer, not as quick, it's heavier, but probably more comfortable for distance, more protection etc.
    Obviously I as not comparing apples with apples.

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    Sounds like you , like myself are happier with the feet under yr arse and upright position..
    Pleased you found a ride that doesn't give you a dose of the "good news" after a few k's in the seat.
    Onwards, illigitimi carborundum.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo NZ View Post
    Sounds like you , like myself are happier with the feet under yr arse and upright position..
    Pleased you found a ride that doesn't give you a dose of the "good news" after a few k's in the seat.
    Onwards, illigitimi carborundum.
    yes indeed...
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    Counting down, not long now til I head to that strange land just north of those hills, to pick up the new ride. Starting to get anticipation jitters... I want it now ...
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Enjoy it, really nice choice of a bike.

Counting down, not long now til I head to that strange land just north of those hills, to pick up the new ride. Starting to get anticipation jitters... I want it now ...

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Enjoy your new ride Mr K, can't say I've seen one in the metal so it's got that 'rarity' factor as well.

Maybe a nice set of cans ( or can ) to lose some weight and bring out the nice V4 sound for the neighbours ?

Any pics ?

Bike
    Hodor
    I've been thinking of splashing out and buying a new motorbike. I've looked at several big adventuring touring bikes and some cruisers. I borrowed a cruiser a little while ago to take on a long ride, as I suspected that due to a back injury in 1984, I might not be able to ride a cruiser for more than a few hours without the back complaining. Sadly after a couple of hours riding the back complained. My plan to buy a Moto Guzzi California Touring bike was dealt a fatal reality check

Last year I rode over a weekend a Honda VFR1200X, the Crosstourer, and was impressed with it. Even when riding other big adventure bikes I still liked the Honda. i've no idea why, but it makes me smile and I enjoy its performance handling and ride. What more could I ask for.

So I've gone and done it. I've bought a 2013 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer. A perfect two up road touring machine that is also capable of doing some light gravel work. No more chains to maintain.

I travel to Auckland in a couple of weeks to pick up the bike and ride it back to Wellington. I'm a happy chap
    Why is it so Cross?

Bike
    Depends on the ride.

Thread Information