Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AJP PR3 240 MX Pro - ongoing review

Bike
    2012 Honda CRF250X- 2014 Honda CRF250R

AJP PR3 240 MX Pro - ongoing review

Hi Guys,

New here, but not new to forums.
    I'm starting this thread as I feel like a bit of a ginny pig with the above bike, as there is so little to nothing in the way of reviews.

I had been shopping around for a dirt bike for my 17 year old daughter to lean on, and come out riding with me.
    As she's tall and slim, all the 125 4T's seat heights are just too low, and anything that had a higher seat height,would weigh a tonne, which she would never be able to lift on her own if dropped.

It really needed to have.... 840 ~ 870 seat height, under 95 ~ 100Kg's max wet, kick and electric start, 4 stroke, wont fall to bits after the first ride, look the part, not be a total wet blanket to ride and all at the same time trying to keep the cost down, as it's her first bike thats going to get dropped......alot.

To that end, I purchased the new 2014 AJP PR3 240 MX Pro from Tracktion Motorcycles in Christchurch.

# 840 seat height - Check!
    # kick and electric start - Check!
    # 4 stroke - Check!
    # Looks the part - Check!
    # Wont fall to bits - (I'll keep you posted)
    # Cost - $5995 Retail New - Ok!
    # 89Kg's Dry - EDIT: Not true, see post 15, really 101kgs

(EDIT: 24 Sept 2014 weeks & hours) Had the bike for just over 4 weeks now, total 9 hours.

So Far,

The Good (in no order)

# Starts easy
    # Good tyres.
    # Looks good.
    # Rides nice.
    # Air fliter is easy to mount, made by Twin Air (note you have to take the seat off,) EDIT: See Post 4
    # Easy power delivery.
    # Good torque, the things a little tractor how it can pull almost any gear at any rpm.
    # Seems well made, using good parts.
    # Manual comes on a disc/PDF, great if you're like me and like to have a copy saved on my phone.

The Bad (in no order)

# Rear brake pedal is so far under the motor it's positively dangerous (picture to follow). EDIT 3 Sept 2014 - FIXED - SEE POST 6
    # Kick stand, keeps the bike to up right and springs back, doesn't feel safe at all.
    # Manual will only help with the most basic repairs/work.
    # Gears take alot to change, neutral is hard to find, not learner friendly. EDIT: Takes a very light touch to find Neutral, my daughter seems to find it easy.
    # Fuel cap in the rear of the seat, area fills with dirt and water, PITA when you want to refuel. EDIT SEE POST 11
    # No heat shield on the header pipe EDIT 3 Sept 2014 - ONE INSTALLED - COST $40NZ
    # Case Saver/Front Sprocket Cover, Traps the dirt/mud in, so much so it can stop it from moving (when pushing the bike by hand).
    # Not as lite as they say, in fact it's 12.8kgs more!, see post 15.

Over all I'm happy with it so far, and my daughter likes riding it.

The two main issue I have are,

The brake pedal, the guys at Tracktion Motorcycles will be able to sort that, cutting off the tip and extending it would be the best way, but they could just take it off and bend it out. EDIT 3 Sept 2014 - FIXED - SEE POST 6

And the gears, which may get better as time goes on....may. EDIT: SEE POST 13

I'll update this first post as time goes by with the good and the bad.
    Last edited by Deanzo; 25th August 2014 at 16:09. Reason: spelling, wont be my last edit

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Hard shifting - not the clutch dragging is it?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Hard shifting - not the clutch dragging is it?

Hard to say for sure at this point.

Need to look into what clutch is in it, and see what known issues they have had on other bikes.
    Was thinking it's just that clutch, or if I was lucky mybe too much oil, or the wrong / bad oil, or maybe just wear in if I was crazy lucky.
    Going to run with it for two months (around 18 hours) and see whats up at that point, and talk to the guys at Tracktion if I want something done.

Below is a picture of the Brake Pedal.
    The side of your riding boot hits the side of the case, and as the boot rounds off ever such a small amout at the toe, you miss that little bit of the tip you can see 99% off the time.
    At the end of the day, I did one lap on the track with my daughters bike, and missed it every time lol

Oh, and I don't have the kicker mounted, keep it in my tool kit to use only if needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2780.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	300263  

Bike
    Below is a picture of the bike, the air filter and a mod Tracktions did to add a fuel breather hose under the seat.
    As stock, there is a little hole will a ball in it, in the fuel cap, but there has been reports in other models of water getting in, so they blocked that off and added the hose, smart easy fix imo.

Name:	IMAG2776.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	389.0 KB 
ID:	300264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2777.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	300265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2779.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	300266  

Bike
    2009 AJP rp3 200
    Hi, guys
    New boy, here.
    Just bought a 2009 pr3 200.
    So will be very interested in what you find & may pester you about improvements they have made over the 4 years.
    (First up is the longer lever on the clutch activator - top of RH engine casing)
    I'll also chip in with stuff I find too.

Bike

Quote Originally Posted by imp999 View Post
    Hi, guys
    New boy, here.
    Just bought a 2009 pr3 200.
    So will be very interested in what you find & may pester you about improvements they have made over the 4 years.
    (First up is the longer lever on the clutch activator - top of RH engine casing)
    I'll also chip in with stuff I find too.
    Nice, I was out at a local ride (Dalethorpe) a few weeks back, and was talking to another father daughter combo, the daughter was riding the 200 like yours, she has had it for just on a year. The father told me they have had zero issue with it to date, and she said she liked riding it, which was good to hear.

Took the bike into Tracktion Motorcycles last week to get the brake pedal sorted (picture below) as well as have them add a heat shield to the header pipe. After a drop, my daughter burnt a hole in the top layer of her riding pants picking the bike back up.
    The bike doesn't come with one fitted.

I've added two pictures, one after a good day of riding that also show no heat shield, the other "shows" the brake pedal and also the now fitted heat shield.

Name:	IMAG2789.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	300600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2827.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	300601  

Bike
    2009 AJP rp3 200
    My first outing on mine, yesterday. Came back slightly less dirty than yours in your pics. Really enjoyed it.
    Mine has a very similar re-worked breather but mine comes out under the rear fender. Could really do with a one-way valve in it. Peedout petrol when I tried to fill to the brim.
    Had a charging problem that turned out to be a poor earth - battery to frame.
    I like the exhaust guard - was it AJP specific or generic?
    I also need a bash plate - Current models get a nice moulded wrap-arround job.
    Can't comment on the back brake pedal as I couldn't reach it! One of today's jobs.
    My kick stand is very poor. Kept coming down when I hit the bumps. I had to use the previous owners bit of bungi to loop over it to keep it up.
    If you have the camera out again at some point, could you take a picture of the top of the stand,pivot & springs? Thanks.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    My kick stand is very poor. Kept coming down when I hit the bumps. I had to use the previous owners bit of bungi to loop over it to keep it up.
    If you have the camera out again at some point, could you take a picture of the top of the stand,pivot & springs? Thanks.
    Common problem on a lot of side stands on trail bikes. I fixed mine by taking it off and going to the shed with it. And left it there. No more noise.

Bike
    My first outing on mine, yesterday. Came back slightly less dirty than yours in your pics. Really enjoyed it.
    Mine has a very similar re-worked breather but mine comes out under the rear fender. Could really do with a one-way valve in it. Peedout petrol when I tried to fill to the brim.
    Had a charging problem that turned out to be a poor earth - battery to frame.
    I like the exhaust guard - was it AJP specific or generic?
    I also need a bash plate - Current models get a nice moulded wrap-arround job.
    Can't comment on the back brake pedal as I couldn't reach it! One of today's jobs.

Yea, if I fill mine to high (fuel) it comes out the mod

Think it's off a Honda 250R,

My kickstand always stays up, my issue is keeping it down.
    At some point, I'll cut 10~20mm out of it, so the bike doesn't stand so upright. Or change the way it mounts so it leans over more.

Sure, if one of these 3 pictures doesn't show what you're looking for, let me know.

Name:	IMAG2832.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	378.4 KB 
ID:	300753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2833.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	331.7 KB 
ID:	300754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2836.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	300755  

Bike
    2009 AJP rp3 200
    Not sure whose is right or wrong but that little plate that the spings attach to does not fit nicely onto the peg sticking out of the head of the stand bolt on mine.
    I notice that the plate IS shaped to interact with the peg but it might be worth trying it in a few different orientations.
    That is what I will do with mine too, but I have the added problem of one spring being stretched.
    Of course, it might be a"Safety feature" that you can't ride off with the stand down. Perhaps a bit of adjustment with a file on the "Stop" that dictates how far forward the stand can come is in order. A small discrepancy at the factory, over the length of the stand, would make quite a difference.

Good luck

Mark.

Bike
    27 years of making dirt bikes, and in that time, no one has had the balls to tell the boss that putting the fuel cap at the bottom of a hole in the rear of the seat is a REALLY bad idea!

If Mr AJP ever see's this, it's a dirt bike, what do you think is going to happen!

I really despise how they have done this, the track yeasterday was very wet, but as everyone else was having lunch and spent say two mins putting more gas in their bikes, I pissed around the whole time cleaning this mess out/up so when I took the fuel cap out from the bottom of the hole (which you can't really see as it's soo full of mud/dirt) I wouldn't get dirt in the tank!

Also, not sure if the rear fender does anything lol

Name:	IMAG2838.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	300894  

Bike
    2009 AJP rp3 200
    Did my first long distance trial on Sunday.
    Bike performed really well.
    Had to fit trials tyres & really liked them. Very dry conditions though so not suffering the petrol filler grief you had.
    Looks like a plug for the seat hole(Eh?) is in order.
    Does look like someone has shortened the peg, on mine, on the side stand bolt so the spring plate misses it. The spring goes over-centre and so the stand stays down or stays up.

Bike
    Did my first long distance trial on Sunday.
    Bike performed really well.
    Had to fit trials tyres & really liked them. Very dry conditions though so not suffering the petrol filler grief you had.
    Looks like a plug for the seat hole(Eh?) is in order.
    Does look like someone has shortened the peg, on mine, on the side stand bolt so the spring plate misses it. The spring goes over-centre and so the stand stays down or stays up.
    Nice, which trials tyres did you put on ?

Yea, going to make something up over the next two weeks, to cut down the clean up time before being able to refuel.

Mmm, do you think new pegs/mounting would fix your issue ?

Added a few "Edits" in the first post, for updates, and pointing to the number of the post where the info and or pictures could/would be.

On the gear change, I posted...
    "Gears take alot to change, neutral is hard to find, not learner friendly."
    As it turns out, it needs a VERY light touch to find Neutral, my daughter seems to find it easy, I seem to only look at it and I'm into 2nd lol
    But shes happy, so really thats all that matters to me.

Bike
    Oil Change

No where in the manual does it show (picture) or tell you where the drain bolt is.
    And there are zero drain bolt looking things on the bottom of the motor.

Its the big ass looking bolt on the left side infront of the gear shifter, in line with the tip of the gear shifter.

Behind that bolt, other than 1.1 litres of oil, you'll find a spring, non-changeable oil filter and O ring.
    Manual says to clean parts with compressed air if needed.

When done, tighten that bolt back up to 15Nm, and fill it up with 1.1 litres.
    This is the same for both the 200 and 240

Case Saver/Front Sprocket Cover

This really traps the mud/dirt in there.
    It can get so full, you can't push the bike around by hand.
    It's also very hard to clean out in a rush, It's soo big and where it is, you can't really get anything in the opening to clear it with out a bit of pissing around.
    To take the cover off is also a pain, the bottom bolt is behind the gear shifter and in past the bottom frame.
    You need to take the shifter off, or take your time with a spanner and turn it little by little with out doing damage to the head of the bolt.

Name:	IMAG2865.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	700.4 KB 
ID:	301901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2872.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	301902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2873.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	753.6 KB 
ID:	301903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2862.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	300946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2864.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	300947  

Bike
    Dry Weight

They say it's 89Kgs

I haven't had time to drain the oil and fuel, but I did just pop it on two digital scales (one under each wheel at the same time)

The bike has in it
    1.1 litres of oil (1.1 X .87kgs = 0.957kgs)
    3 litres of fuel (3 X .7kgs = 2.1kgs)
    Or a little over 3Kgs to be taken off the total

Front was 50.3kgs
    Rear was 52.8kgs
    taking into account oil and fuel

The bike is really around the 100Kg mark dry, give or take.

Even if I'm out a little with how much gas is in it (no more than a litre at best, looks a little under half and it's a 7 litre tank) or if the fuel was a little more than .7kgs a litre, there is no way that's going to make up more than 1kg.

It's the best part of 10Kgs over what they are selling it as, think there are laws here about such things.....

EDIT 23/9/2014

Drained both oil and fuel

Front = 49.8kgs
    Rear = 51.0kgs

Total = 101.8 Dry!

That's 12.8Kgs more than the listed weight

Thread Information