Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New chick, very keen to ride!

Bike
    2014 CBR600rr
    Hi! and welcome from another female rider,

The best advise I could possibly give you is don't go out and buy a brand spanking new bike right off the bat, get something that already has a few scratches so that when you drop it/come off/make mistakes and you will, its normal, it doesn't break you heart as much as it would on a brand new sparkling unscratched undented perfect bike.

Spend your money on good protective gear! It could potentially save your life, bikes are replaceable.. you are not. Invest in a good Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Pants and Boots.

In regards to what type of bike you should get. Get something reasonably low powered, in the 250-300 range. IMO they're good to earn on because you have enough power to get going from a standstill without having to ring the tits off the throttle but not to overpowered that its intimidating to be on. Whether it be a Cruiser, sportbike, crossover the only deciding factors between what kind of bike you get should be A) what style of bike you feel comfortable. B) whether you can touch the ground, tippy toes or flat foot, whatever your more comfortable with. Don't forget you can always get it lowered if you need to while you're learning. and C) get one you like! I think if you love the bike you own, you're gonna want to get out more, and more seat time equals more confidence/learning and less chance of you giving it up.

Good luck!!

Bike
    CB1300

New chick, very keen to ride!

If you have a short list of gear, a lock, chain lube, boots, pants, jacket, gloves and helmet that does two things.
    1 You are covered to start and can add gear as you think of other stuff you would like. This can add up a lot over the years but should not be too bad for the basic kit.
    2 go to several shops and tell then you are not interested in individual prices you want a quote for the lot. Most shops will give a good discount on anything not already discounted if you buy the whole set in one place.

Some shops offer huge discounts or even free gear packages to learner riders buying learner bikes. At this stage they want your future business when you are proper hooked far more than they want your 3k.

Avoid buying stuff you did not plan to straight out. I probably have a few grand of items I will use one day that have only been used a couple of times or that I gave away because I will never use again but that seemed like the best invention since the loincloth when I bought it.

I reckon every one in this thread can think of something they thought they had to have an then rarely if ever used.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    lots of good advice here already

here is my 2c

Dont skimp on your helmet. the SHARP site is good for ratings. Above all else it must fit properly. DO NOT BUY ONLINE. Try it on

Get good protective gear and dont be scared to use more of your budget on it than you thought. Your first bike will be just that, your first, by definitition it wont be your last. The gear will stay with you no matter what bike you have.

Nothing exotic with your first bike(s). Until you have some experience, stick with the common brands and models, the specifics have already been mentioned in previous posts.

Get some training. Proper training, from an actual instructor.

Find a mentor

HAVE FUN!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    A black one
    Kawasaki EX250 Ninja or Honda VTR250 are my picks.

As for gear, just go to a motorcycle shop and ask them there. You won't know what you like/dislike when it comes to gear until you actually buy and use some for a period of time.

Bike
    /

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Welcome to the world of motorcycling.

Buy gear before you buy a bike.

Buy a helmet, budget around $300 for a cheap new one. Nice tight fit is important, it should squeeze your head. Buy it from a motorbike shop.

Buy a jacket and riding pants, if you ride year round I'd recommend textile. Don't buy too tight, so in winter you can wear a jumper/thermals/more layers underneath. But don't buy too loose that it would slide around in the event of a slide down the road. You can buy second hand here to save some money but make sure it has elbow, back, shoulder and knee padding as a minimum. CE labeled preferable and waterproof is a bonus. If you buy second hand make sure all zips work and no stitching is damaged.

Boots, buy from a shop or off trade me, but what ever you do, make sure you try them on first, a good tight fit (not constrictive though) especially around your ankle/calf will ensure your ankle is protected. Waterproof preferable. If you buy used, make sure there aren't any faults.

Gloves, go in to a shop. It's hard to find a good fit, so go to a shop and try on a bunch. There are winter and summer gloves, commuter gloves and sports gloves. Talk to a salesman at the shop about the best gloves for you, in your size.

That's the minimum I'd wear while riding, I'd recommend not wearing any less gear. If you're thrifty and shop around, you can get it all new for about $1000, if you buy boots and jacket/pants second hand, the price will drop a bit (more money for the bike). A back protector and knee pads could help in the event of a crash, but aren't as important so I would only recommend if you were a safety nazi or rich enough to go all out for safety. As a side note on that, safety gear is only good if you actually wear it. No point buying good boots then wearing sneakers, and buying a back protector for commuting would be annoying, you mightn't be bothered wearing it, making it a waste of money sitting in your wardrobe.

As for a bike, go into bike shops, sit on some bikes, find a few that feel comfortable and you can see yourself riding. Then note their make/model, look on trade me for a good deal. You're short so a suzuki GN125, GN250 or a Honda VTR250 are all good options. Many 125cc bikes might struggle to go 100km/h, but if that isn't a concern, they are cheaper to buy and use less petrol as well as being lighter.

I'd recommend buying a used Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha.
    Thanks for all the info...passed my test yesterday. Intend to buy my gear 1st

Bike
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Sash View Post
    Hi! and welcome from another female rider,

The best advise I could possibly give you is don't go out and buy a brand spanking new bike right off the bat, get something that already has a few scratches so that when you drop it/come off/make mistakes and you will, its normal, it doesn't break you heart as much as it would on a brand new sparkling unscratched undented perfect bike.

Spend your money on good protective gear! It could potentially save your life, bikes are replaceable.. you are not. Invest in a good Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Pants and Boots.

In regards to what type of bike you should get. Get something reasonably low powered, in the 250-300 range. IMO they're good to earn on because you have enough power to get going from a standstill without having to ring the tits off the throttle but not to overpowered that its intimidating to be on. Whether it be a Cruiser, sportbike, crossover the only deciding factors between what kind of bike you get should be A) what style of bike you feel comfortable. B) whether you can touch the ground, tippy toes or flat foot, whatever your more comfortable with. Don't forget you can always get it lowered if you need to while you're learning. and C) get one you like! I think if you love the bike you own, you're gonna want to get out more, and more seat time equals more confidence/learning and less chance of you giving it up.

Good luck!!
    Hi and thanks for some great advice passed my basic handling last night..half way to my learners. EXCITE!! Need lots of practise so definetly not after the brand spankn new bike

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kays View Post
    Hi and thanks for some great advice passed my basic handling last night..half way to my learners. EXCITE!! Need lots of practise so definetly not after the brand spankn new bike
    Did you find it difficult at all?

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    I learned to ride allbeit a bit naughtily on a no exit street in the quiet town of whangamata. Just riding up and down the street, learning the gears etc. I had absolutely no riding experience whatsoever, gradually as I felt more confident I would venture out further aand further. Whilst this might not be the best advice, perhaps finding a quiet parking lot or something similar to practise could be beneficial. Or like someone else said to find a paddock and rip up some grass

As for bikes I start on a hyobag and everyone here will absolutely tell you not to get one so at least I've ruled out one for ya
    Last edited by G4L4XY; 29th August 2014 at 12:50. Reason: can't spell for shit

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Did you find it difficult at all?
    A little at first controlling bike..kept putting my legs out at first as I kept looking at cones instead of ahead where I should have been going.
    Didnt fall off which was a bonus. And I have never ridden a motorcycle before so I intend on getting lots of practice in

Bike
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by G4L4XY View Post
    I learned to ride allbeit a bit naughtily on a no exit street in the quiet town of whangamata. Just riding up and down the street, learning the gears etc. I had absolutely no riding experience whatsoever, gradually as I felt more confident I would venture out further aand further. Whilst this might not be the best advice, perhaps finding a quiet parking lot or something similar to practise could be beneficial. Or like someone else said to find a paddock and rip up some grass

As for bikes I start on a hyobag and everyone here will absolutely tell you not to get one so at least I've ruled out one for ya
    Yea some practice would have been good, but I can do that once I actually get a bike. Will keep looking around for now and get some gear together.
    Cant wait though..pretty excite!

Bike
    KTM SuperDuke 990R
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I was wondering why we don't have many young lady riders on the forum.

Guess its due to the gang bang mauling welcome they receive normally suggesting nudity before the first page is finished.
    Haha there are plenty of young(isn) female riders on this site... we're just smart enough to know that some battles aren't worth fighting :P

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...there are two spots painted in the middle of our quiet road, 6 meters apart...my wife did figures of eight round them whenever she had the time...she learned good skills doing that for a while...

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kays View Post
    Thanks im booking with riding nz, they do there tests nearby at unitech carrington.
    Ah that would be the Downs mong twins good luck with that then.

Bike
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Ah that would be the Downs mong twins good luck with that then.
    Ended up doing it with rider training in Henderson last night. Passed!

Bike
    /
    Went to red baron yesterday to have a nosey and sat on a Suzuki TU250/tracker. Yet to have a ride though.
    Any thoughts on this bike pls???

Thread Information