Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New chick, very keen to ride!

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kays View Post
    Ended up doing it with rider training in Henderson last night. Passed!
    That's them

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Went to red baron yesterday to have a nosey and sat on a Suzuki TU250/tracker. Yet to have a ride though.
    Any thoughts on this bike pls???
    ...you couldn't go wrong...I want one now that I have seen one...

Bike
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...you couldn't go wrong...I want one now that I have seen one...
    I'll have to go back have a ride on it!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendoll View Post
    Haha there are plenty of young(isn) female riders on this site... we're just smart enough to know that some battles aren't worth fighting :P
    nudey pics still highly appropriate.
    Went to red baron yesterday to have a nosey and sat on a Suzuki TU250/tracker. Yet to have a ride though.
    would that be the pointy semi-'ffroad one? or the not-quite-gn?

either way, basic, no frills, cheap to feed, cheap on tyres, very good for you to learn your shit on (mechanical and ridacal), if you feel comfortable with it. i DO NOT like the weight-on-ass cruiser possy, unless it's a farm bike. but, as said, if YOU feel comfortable with....
    it IS a good position in terms of visibility. and.... well, yeah. that.

no screen though. makes highways, byways and flyways a bitch. (come my ways... pun intended.)
    please try not to die, little motorcycling girl.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    No screen though. makes highways, byways and flyways a bitch. (come my ways... pun intended.)
    please try not to die, little motorcycling girl.
    Small aftermarket screens can be fitted. If regular Highway/motorway use is expected ... it's worth the $$$ spent ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    It's definitely nice and should be reliable.

It's essentially a GN250 engine though, if you've seen the shit they get for being weak little things... Regardless, they're a comfortable and easy learner bike.. In the end, it's down to what looks and feels good to you.

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM8 View Post

It's essentially a GN250 engine though, if you've seen the shit they get for being weak little things...

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk

...a perfect, docile, reliable, cool looking little machine for a new young rider to get a feel for something that will transform her life...there is unlimited options after that...( a sticky but relevant question though to the op, what will the power to weight ratio be)

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    IGNORE him ..

Buy what you like and can afford.

Motorcycling IS dangerous ... responsibility for your OWN safety (and health) is YOURS.
    The only bit that I would agree with in the mentioned post, is to get the BEST you can afford, cheap gear is just that..... trademe is your friend, there is so much 'girl gear' sold S/hand and frequently hardly used.....
    There are always those who will argue about paying for the name and it's no better...... Sometimes this is true.
    If you go to a local shop, look at the cheap jackets ($200 and below) then look at the $5-600+ the difference is obvious.
    You will often find said $500+ jackets hardly used, on tardme for a fraction of the new price.

Do NOT buy a s/hand lid..........
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    A little at first controlling bike..kept putting my legs out at first as I kept looking at cones instead of ahead where I should have been going.
    Didnt fall off which was a bonus. And I have never ridden a motorcycle before so I intend on getting lots of practice in
    Nice one. Not as easy as the lap around 2 cones on a single speed step thru most of these guys did but I thought it was pretty straight forward once my anxiousness fucked off. Particularly liked that they make you pull off on full lock.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Eh. My favourite helmet was secondhand from someone who bought it online and it didn't quite fit them right. Fit me like a glove until it went for a trip down a rocky bank (without me).
    The brand new in store helmet I bought on advice from the salesman without being allowed to take it for a test ride is the one I hate
    Unless you're doing long days a well fitting but somewhat annoying helmet is bearable though.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Eh. My favourite helmet was secondhand from someone who bought it online and it didn't quite fit them right. Fit me like a glove until it went for a trip down a rocky bank (without me).
    The best helmet I ever bought was second hand (from a bike shop) ... a "Born again Biker" bought a new bike that was too powerful/heavy for his experience/ability ... and lasted 56 km's before he pranged. A low speed affair ... and the helmet never touched the ground. (worn ONCE)

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The best helmet I ever bought was second hand (from a bike shop) ... a "Born again Biker" bought a new bike that was too powerful/heavy for his experience/ability ... and lasted 56 km's before he pranged. A low speed affair ... and the helmet never touched the ground. (worn ONCE)

that was a 'once off', you're experienced and know what to look for/ask and you got lucky ... what SHE needs is general advice for someone who knows from nothing ... advice to that person should be DO NOT BUY A SECOND HAND HELMET ..

(c'mon, agree with me ... you KNOW i'm right )
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    The only bit that I would agree with in the mentioned post, is to get the BEST you can afford, cheap gear is just that..... trademe is your friend, there is so much 'girl gear' sold S/hand and frequently hardly used.....
    There are always those who will argue about paying for the name and it's no better...... Sometimes this is true.
    If you go to a local shop, look at the cheap jackets ($200 and below) then look at the $5-600+ the difference is obvious.
    You will often find said $500+ jackets hardly used, on tardme for a fraction of the new price.

wat he said
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post

that was a 'once off', you're experienced and know what to look for/ask and you got lucky ... what SHE needs is general advice for someone who knows from nothing ... advice to that person should be DO NOT BUY A SECOND HAND HELMET ..

(c'mon, agree with me ... you KNOW i'm right )
    We have had "Verbal Altercations" in these Forums before ... I know better than to argue the point with YOU. (even ADMITTED it online in a Sig .. )

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post
    wat he said
    You put $10 helmets on $10 heads ... the question to ask yourself is ... what value you put on your own head.

All riding gear should be confirmed as suitable by an experienced rider ... if knowledge in this respect is lacking. There is plenty of gear out there that is more for show than safety.

Bike
    2011 Ducati 848
    Welcome to the wonderful world of riding and congrats on passing your basic handling skills

There's a world of amazing bikes beyond what you learn on, heed the advice of others go cheap and good fit - there's a chance the addiction will kick in hard and you'll be on to your next bike before you know it.

I'm a safety sam - so my advice is invest in the best gear you can afford.

Good luck with the forum, don't take anything personally and use a huge grain of salt.

Have fun and I can't wait to hear about your motorbike journey

Thread Information