Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New chick, very keen to ride!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post

that was a 'once off', you're experienced and know what to look for/ask and you got lucky ... what SHE needs is general advice for someone who knows from nothing ... advice to that person should be DO NOT BUY A SECOND HAND HELMET ..

(c'mon, agree with me ... you KNOW i'm right )
    Yes. Brand new is always best. Always. Don't worry that you can drop up to $300 bucks on a helmet (which seems to be the consensus should get you something OK) with only one 1-2 stars in the sharp rating...the salesperson opinion on how much they can get out of your wallet is much safer.

I guess the idea is to spend 10 mins reading up on reviews and specs of what fits you well before pulling the trigger if that is the way you want to go, not to just ASSUME because you've bought a lid in a shop you've got the best you can for your budget as you imply?

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Yes. Brand new is always best. Always. Don't worry that you can drop up to $300 bucks on a helmet (which seems to be the consensus should get you something OK) .............................
    if that was sarcasm .... epic fail

i still contend that, if you come off on your head, you won't CARE how much the lid cost as long as it protects your head

I don't see anyone knowledgeable on here offering to go with the lass when she buys her helmet? there must be someone near where she is that could help?
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    husaberg

i still contend that, if you come off on your head, you won't CARE how much the lid cost as long as it protects your head

I don't see anyone knowledgeable on here offering to go with the lass when she buys her helmet? there must be someone near where she is that could help?
    I think some earlier offered to help her shop for undergarments (Likely Crasher) could have been sarcasim or more likely profound voyeuristic optimism
    but shouldn't she get the other gear first that way she isn't temped to ride without it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike

If that was retardation, epic win?

So it's OK to spend $300 on a shitty brand new lid because it apparently protects your noggin better than any secondhand/new secondhand one will without considering any other factors?

I was trying to point out that just because something is new from a store doesn't mean it is good, just like something top of the line but 5 years secondhand probably isn't a smart buy, but nevermind, you're on rails with your point of view....

Anyway, OP doesn't seem retarded (always a bonus) so I'm sure they'll be fine, other wise each to their own...but I would rather a good hardly/not used second hand helmet off trademe than some of the shit you can buy new for the same price.

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    If that was retardation, epic win?

So it's OK to spend $300 on a shitty brand new lid because it apparently protects your noggin better than any secondhand/new secondhand one will without considering any other factors?

I was trying to point out that just because something is new from a store doesn't mean it is good, just like something top of the line but 5 years secondhand probably isn't a smart buy, but nevermind, you're on rails with your point of view....

Anyway, OP doesn't seem retarded (always a bonus) so I'm sure they'll be fine, other wise each to their own...but I would rather a good hardly/not used second hand helmet off trademe than some of the shit you can buy new for the same price.
    ... you are free to put whatever value you like on your own head ... I've heard of people who don't even replace their helmets after dropping them or coming off on them ... heard of others who'll gladly buy something they don't know the history of, secondhand, just to save a few bucks.

as you say, to each their own
    but man up, buddy, don't skulk behind your keyboard
    call me a retard to my face - give me the opportunity of hurting you a little
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Helmets. The great debate. LS2 are a little noisy when touring, but are great value for money. <$200 and I've rolled a sidecar on myself twice wearing them with no issues.

More money, doesn't mean better gear. I don't give a shit who tells you Alpinestars are the best, most of those people are trying to justify spending $3000 on a one piece race suit, or $1200 on a pair of uncomfortable boots.

The thing about the cheaper gear, is that it will just about always protect you as well as anything else in an accident. It'll need repairing/replacing sooner though.

Bike
    Kate
    A little bit with Drew on this. IF you check out the likes of http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ and their ratings you will discover that some cheaper helmets outrank dearer ones. Often the increase in price is for noise reduction, lightness and other "comfort factors" which aren't so important for a learner on a budget. L2's rate well.

I saw an argument above about buying secondhand helmets, as a basic rule don't. Check out youtube on helmets for how to fit and why not to trust a dropped helmet and with a secondhand one you can't be certain it has been well treated. Jay Leno has quite a good youtube on helmets.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Fact is, you need to get a helmet that fits. If that is a second hand one, I hope you can really really trust the source of it.
    For me it is a peace of mind thing. You never know what has happened to a second hand helmet (no matter what they tell you).

It is also a peace of mind thing that I do go for helmets with a good reputation and good rating (and that fit!). Yes, they are more expensive, and yes, maybe that is just the marketing, but maybe it is not.

On a side note, I also don't feel comfortable selling a used lid, even though I know it hasn't been dropped (So what the hell do I do with it now?)
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    Fact is, you need to get a helmet that fits. If that is a second hand one, I hope you can really really trust the source of it.
    For me it is a peace of mind thing. You never know what has happened to a second hand helmet (no matter what they tell you).

It is also a peace of mind thing that I do go for helmets with a good reputation and good rating (and that fit!). Yes, they are more expensive, and yes, maybe that is just the marketing, but maybe it is not.

On a side note, I also don't feel comfortable selling a used lid, even though I know it hasn't been dropped (So what the hell do I do with it now?)
    you put up a shelf and honour your used lids lol, cut the straps off though or your fond memories will tempt to reuse one even though the liner and etc will have degraded. Mine are all in the ceiling for now.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    you put up a shelf and honour your used lids lol, cut the straps off though or your fond memories will tempt to reuse one even though the liner and etc will have degraded. Mine are all in the ceiling for now.
    Cutting off the straps is a good idea.
    Hey, maybe I should try myself at helmet artwork. lol
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Bike
    Kate
    Cutting off the straps is a good idea.
    Hey, maybe I should try myself at helmet artwork. lol
    Used helmets as an art resource, good idea.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I think you're getting a bit paranoid in your young age ... and $300 for a NEW helmet is in the lower end of the price range. Many do have the idea in their head ... the more you pay ... the better protection. Little has been said on how the fit comfort affects the protection it should give.

A helmet wont always save your head. At best ... it can reduce the injuries to your head. In some cases .. the helmet doesn't even touch ground (or anything else). Too many believe ... when they strap on their lid (and jacket/pants) ... they become bullet proof.

The OP lists her location as New Zealand. I think you are closer ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Used helmets as an art resource, good idea.
    I've seen a few old ones used as pot plant holders .. some very ingenious methods used to display them too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Its a Boat

I have on sold several helmets and have no problem doing so. One helmet I owned had hit the ground (I wasn't wearing it at the time) so I gave to the local Fire Crew for training purposes. Think I have sold three helmets all in mint conditions, one was only worn once.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kays View Post
    Went to red baron yesterday to have a nosey and sat on a Suzuki TU250/tracker. Yet to have a ride though.
    Any thoughts on this bike pls???
    My suggestion (for what it is worth) is to have a ride on the TU250 but also look around, maybe take a ride on a VTR250 as well. Once you have tried 2 or 3 bikes then you will get some idea of what you like the feel of best. I'm sure you are keen to get something, but a little patience would pay dividends here in terms of getting the right bike to start with.

Of course your first bike doesn't have to be your last bike and you can move up to bigger & better things later on when you have more experience, but for now just find a decent learner bike that YOU like.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information