Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowthrough carbs for turbo?

Bike
    2013 Harley custom

Blowthrough carbs for turbo?

So I have quite an interesting little build on the go, an xv1000 In a custom frame.. just for a little more pep im throwing a turbo on the side. Anyone know of any decent carbs for blowthrough that do well under pressure (say 1 bar) with the correct fueling setup ofcorse.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Sidedraft webers.I did this on a pretty old 40DCOE. Replace the butterfly spindle ball bearings with sealed ones, make sure the float chamber sees boost pressure (float bowl is vented to air box) and replace the brass weber floats with plastic dellorto ones. That was about all it needed aside from jetting.
    The brass floats would collapse under pressure and sink, the dellorto one were fine.

Webers look quite cool hanging out the side of a V engine
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Sidedraft webers.I did this on a pretty old 40DCOE. Replace the butterfly spindle ball bearings with sealed ones, make sure the float chamber sees boost pressure (float bowl is vented to air box) and replace the brass weber floats with plastic dellorto ones. That was about all it needed aside from jetting.
    The brass floats would collapse under pressure and sink, the dellorto one were fine.

Webers look quite cool hanging out the side of a V engine

I Was more hoping for something a little more subtle.. trying to avoid adding much width

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Worth having a look into SU carbs - loads of information on getting them to seal on boost they look good polished up too.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I would strongly resist tormenting one of those any more than required. They, despite being SR500 technology, weren’t Yamahas best engine. If it goes count yourself lucky but don’t push your luck.

Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Blah blah 10 carrots
    half the links will likely not work but shit happens.
    STD CV carbs are pretty easy to mod.
    the link that shows how no longer works but if I can be arsed later I probably saved the text.
    If you google blow through cv carb turbo and pitot tube you should find how it works.
    The rising rate regulator stuff is all about the net but read the turbo GEM site.
    the is a plenty of books on the net on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    I did a very sucessful blow through turbo installation on a BMW R100RS using the standard Bing CV carbs with a few mods, the most important being routing the bowl vents to the pressure chamber, or plemum. It still needed jetting up & a few other minor mods.

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I would strongly resist tormenting one of those any more than required. They, despite being SR500 technology, weren’t Yamahas best engine. If it goes count yourself lucky but don’t push your luck.
    Its just a toy =} if it pops it can get ls rods and porsche pistons for christmas... its getting intercooled, water meth injection and an ignitech tci and wideband lambda so shoulnt be a major to put a bar into it..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Its just a toy =} if it pops it can get ls rods and porsche pistons for christmas... its getting intercooled, water meth injection and an ignitech tci and wideband lambda so shoulnt be a major to put a bar into it..
    Why don´t you Microsquirt it? Your fitting all the sensors for ignition - it won´t be that much more work.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    Why don´t you Microsquirt it? Your fitting all the sensors for ignition - it won´t be that much more work.
    Not too dear either. Nice wee systems them.

You can blow through on CV carbs easy enough, Mikunis by general rule of thumb have a wee bit more fine adjustment because air jets are removable usually, but it's not that important on a turbo tractor. Fitting 8mm needle/seats to anything with a smaller 6/7mm one would be a good thing to do.
    The rest is in the links provided (I hope)
    If you sort the pilot tube sizes right you won't have to do any crazy jetting

Being a crap Vtwin it may be a bit underwhelming and not spool very well
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post

You can blow through on CV carbs easy enough, Mikunis by general rule of thumb have a wee bit more fine adjustment because air jets are removable usually, but it's not that important on a turbo tractor. Fitting 8mm needle/seats to anything with a smaller 6/7mm one would be a good thing to do.

Its a pretty small turbo... nearly finished the manifold, its pretty close to equal length and good merge collector..no reason why it shouldnt spool around 3...ish

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Have you used the appropriate compressor map to confirm it is correct size? Matching a turbo to an engine is more that "looks about right"
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Have you used the appropriate compressor map to confirm it is correct size? Matching a turbo to an engine is more that "looks about right"

I skimmed over them, cross referenced the averagr cc ratings for vehicles they are used on vs the boost I wanna run... ended up going for the smaller gt15

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Well, a GT15 will come on boost on anything so she'll spool a bit. .33 A/R or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post

They are - really small as well. They don´t have all the features of Megasquirt but for most applications they are more than enough.

Thread Information