Thread: Fairing templates?

Bike
    2014 CBR600rr

Fairing templates?

Does anyone know where I would be able to find software or something that has all of the newer (say 2013+ ish) model street bike fairing templates?
    Mainly only interested in the Honda templates but i'm assuming if such a thing exists it will have most major makes...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    A fairing template is normally a mould, ie, to make more aftermarket fairings. For that, your best chance would be: http://justfairings.co.nz/

But knowing your love of vinyl, are you more after the shape, dimensions for vinyl or something? Only thing I can think of there, is the likes of Ebay/TradeMe for decal kits for fairings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Can't be long till they start popping up on 3D printing websites?

Expect to pay though, that sorta thing ain't easy.

Bike
    2014 CBR600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    A fairing template is normally a mould, ie, to make more aftermarket fairings. For that, your best chance would be: http://justfairings.co.nz/

But knowing your love of vinyl, are you more after the shape, dimensions for vinyl or something? Only thing I can think of there, is the likes of Ebay/TradeMe for decal kits for fairings?
    Yeah, more looking for the shapes for a graphic design purpose for a full wrap. Wanted to try my hand at designing a couple which is why i was looking for the different models eg cbr300, cbr500, cbr600rr etc etc as i know they all differ slightly. I shall keep hunting

Bike
    2014 CBR600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Can't be long till they start popping up on 3D printing websites?

Expect to pay though, that sorta thing ain't easy.
    Im not looking for anything 3d jus wanted to blank templates to design cool wraps etc. Fully prepared to pay for something as long as it has what im after :P

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Sash View Post
    Im not looking for anything 3d jus wanted to blank templates to design cool wraps etc. Fully prepared to pay for something as long as it has what im after :P
    Ahh, I see. Someone handy on Photoshop should be able to knock something up for you with ease.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Sash View Post
    Yeah, more looking for the shapes for a graphic design purpose for a full wrap. Wanted to try my hand at designing a couple which is why i was looking for the different models eg cbr300, cbr500, cbr600rr etc etc as i know they all differ slightly. I shall keep hunting
    Right. Either, as Tazz said, photoshop with a picture of the fairing, or depending on what you're trying to achieve, you can print your own custom vinyl. It has to be bigger than the fairing anyway to position and wrap over the edge.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    if you can find a cad model of the mould/ fairing complete, you should be able to pull a surface to use as a template.
    i like gimp, but apparently it's unpopular with photoshop whores.

full color to-the-edge requires "bleed" to be printed.

borrow a 3d scanner...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Think full fairing wraps might be rare enough that all the templates are made for the job, I've not heard of them in circulation anyway.

Might be possible to get a flat outline by wrapping a roll of paper of and tracing/cutting out the edges; then scan and vectorise that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Ahh, I see. Someone handy on Photoshop should be able to knock something up for you with ease.
    Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	300678  
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nailed-it_o_1391147.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	300681

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Think full fairing wraps might be rare enough that all the templates are made for the job, I've not heard of them in circulation anyway.

Might be possible to get a flat outline by wrapping a roll of paper of and tracing/cutting out the edges; then scan and vectorise that...
    It depends on the vinyl, or what's trying to be achieved, but the simplest is having a large sheet and putting it on the panel... work it, trim it, job done. Even a large graphic still gets placed on the panel... There are also so many options, vehicles, models, and only a few of anything would be done. The commercial places just have massive rolls and cut off strips.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Like this?
    Little more practise required

Bike
    1987 GPX 250

Thread Information