Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fatal motorcyclist vs vehicle hit-and-run driver charged

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Yeah thats fair.... At 17 he probably freaked out but 5 months???
    I can hear lawyers whinging "he's only a teenager, too young to go to jail yada yada punishment will be too sever and will ruin his life in the future."

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    I can hear lawyers whinging "he's only a teenager, too young to go to jail yada yada punishment will be too sever and will ruin his life in the future."
    I'd try that if I was his lawyer... bloody terrible situation...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    You all read the story didn't you? Before getting the pitchforks and flaming torches out?

my reading of the story is that a car pulled out in front of the motorcycle rider, he decked the bike and ended up in the oncoming lane, where he was struck and ultimately that was fatal.

I can easily see how a young, inexperienced (on the road) rider could do that and end up in the other lane.

The worst aspect of this is the hit and run, and not stopping (which is a crime itself) but it is very easy to see why this has been charged at the lower end of the spectrum. If ute-boy gets a half decent lawyer he might walk entirely on the careless causing (but definitely not on the failing to stop)
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    Nah. He avoided for 5 months.

Earlier I said
    "If it was a genuine unavoidable thing with the bloke being knocked off and suddenly was on the road in front of him and unable to stop, well that would have to be looked at."

It speaks volumes that he took off and avoided detection.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Lousy $4,500 for taking a man's life? That's pretty messed up if you ask me.
    A wise man once said to me "If you ever want to kill somebody in NZ do it on the road - the penalty is not so harsh"
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo NZ View Post
    Nah. He avoided for 5 months.

Earlier I said
    "If it was a genuine unavoidable thing with the bloke being knocked off and suddenly was on the road in front of him and unable to stop, well that would have to be looked at."

So who was it that tried to avoid detection?

The ute driver that hit and killed the motorcyclist or the driver that pulled out in front of him?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

The ute driver that hit and killed the motorcyclist or the driver that pulled out in front of him?
    Only article I can find is the one linked here, which doesn't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    If ute-boy gets a half decent lawyer he might walk entirely on the careless causing (but definitely not on the failing to stop)
    Do you have some other information or is that just a guess that he was driving the ute?

It seems a bit dumb to do a runner from a fatal accident that you didn't cause. Maybe he was pissed/speeding/had an ounce in the glove box.

If Samuel James Young was driving the ute, do we know if the car that pulled out is in the picture?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    If Samuel James Young was driving the ute, do we know if the car that pulled out is in the picture?
    no we don't know shit. but since when has that ever slowed down th KB lynch mob...?

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    no we don't know shit. but since when has that ever stopped me from spouting drivel at every opportunity...?
    Corrected for accuracy.

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

He slid off the bike and, before he could get up, he was struck by a ute coming in the opposite direction.

It actually says it here. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11330750

Bike
    He slid off the bike and, before he could get up, he was struck by a ute coming in the opposite direction.

It actually says it here. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11330750
    Yeah, we know that. Was Samuel James Young (the 17 year old who left the scene, avoided detection for 5 months and is now being charged with careless causing death) driving the ute that hit him or the car that pulled out in front of him? The article doesn't say.

Bike
    3 black ones
    Its a long stretch to claim how sorry he is now.
    He wasn't sorry enough to stop at the time, but left.. and did not come forward willingly.
    If it was a genuine unavoidable thing with the bloke being knocked off and suddenly was on the road in front of him and unable to stop, well that would have to be looked at.
    He also had an opportunity to enter a plea.

He is sorry he has been identified.

yep like most criminals - they are only sorry that they got caught

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    Yeah, we know that. Was Samuel James Young (the 17 year old who left the scene, avoided detection for 5 months and is now being charged with careless causing death) driving the ute that hit him or the car that pulled out in front of him? The article doesn't say.
    See post #25.

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    Read all of it before you post.

Bike
    See post #25.
    That's what I replied to.

Read all of it before you post.
    I have. It certainly suggests he was driving the ute but it doesn't specifically say it.

Thread Information