Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The ST1300 thread!

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I would add this:
    The ST1300 is actually quite a fun bike to ride on sealed roads, great engine characteristics from the V4 1300 and the bike feels really good pulling out of corners.
    Having ridden the Gentle Annie on my DR650 I'm thinking that I really need to get my ST1300 on to that road, maybe riding it both directions for the sheer fun of it.

It is a heavy bike but also a beautifully balanced one. The weight is actually helpful if riding in high winds.
    I took my ST1100 through the Gentle Annie - basically no traffic so really pushed it hard and it was the most fun I ever had on it. They really can go for it i the right setting

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    6000km with oil & filter every 2nd service
    So, why change the oil twice as often as Honda says?
    With a bike so good at running up the kms I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy the longer service intervals that it has.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    So, why change the oil twice as often as Honda says?
    With a bike so good at running up the kms I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy the longer service intervals that it has.
    Attached is the sheet I work off. I haven't looked for years but I'm pretty sure it's the same as on the owner's manual that came with the bike.

I used to have oil and filter changed at every service but in the end, decided that it was a waste of money with the good stuff that was going in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ST Maintenence Info.pdf  
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Attached is the sheet I work off. I haven't looked for years
    Maybe you should look at the sheet you attached?
    It lists replacing engine oil at 1,000, 12,000, 24,000, 36,000, etc.
    That looks like every 12,000kms for an oil & filter change to me.
    Coincidentally that is exactly what I'm doing with my ST.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you should look at the sheet you attached?
    It lists replacing engine oil at 1,000, 12,000, 24,000, 36,000, etc.
    That looks like every 12,000kms for an oil & filter change to me.
    Coincidentally that is exactly what I'm doing with my ST.
    Yep, 6000km with oil & filter every 2nd service is 12,000km for oil and filter.

The Gentle Annie is a nice scoot and I've done that 6 or 7 times on the ST since it was sealed (including an out & return to Waiouru one time when my wife was playing in a tennis tournament in Napier. I do prefer cleaner roads though, where it's safer to push the boundaries, like the Mangamuka Gorge, or the Takaka Hill, or the likes of Mt Hercules on the West Coast....and I'm really looking forward to another fang Up and back down the Devil's Staircase on the upcoming TT2000.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Yep, 6000km with oil & filter every 2nd service is 12,000km for oil and filter.
    Damn, I think I've been reading what you wrote wrong.
    I thought you meant 6,000km with oil and then the filter as well every 2nd time.

I've been pretty much ignoring the in-between services as they amount to almost nothing.
    Basically I run my bike for 12,000km and then change the oil & filter.
    Every 3rd time I do that I will also do the shaft drive oil.

I do keep an eye on the clutch & brake fluid levels, check my disk brake pads now and then and pay attention to how it is running - but so far mine is running very sweet with no more than routine maintenance.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    XT660Z
    12k sounds a lot better than 6k, especially for a tourer.

Interesting comments, thanks. Guess I just need to try one to see how I get on with it.

Did chat to a Canadian who toured NZ on one. Reckoned it was bit big for the roads, you guys seem to say different. He was used to North America though. Have ridden with one in the UK and it could handle anything thrown at it with ease. Didn't get a chance to try it myself though.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by bgd View Post
    Did chat to a Canadian who toured NZ on one. Reckoned it was bit big for the roads
    Well, some guys ride GL1800 bikes around NZ, ST1300 is quite a bit smaller!

The ST may be a big lass, but she's surprisingly nimble for her size. I enjoy riding her through the twisties!
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Several old ones
    Glad you like your ST1300, I was a fan too, took one for a ride, and at the time had a sports bike, wanted something more comfortable, sure it was comfortable , but I found the brakes hard to get used too, the one I rode had very poor brakes, also I found the riding position was very much like a large scooter, wanted something a bit more motorbikeish.
    I have ridden with friends that own them, and they seem great, handle well, fast enough, quiet and comfortable. Great for pillions
    Maybe I should ride another, I may have got a bum one.
    At the moment I will stick with my GS.
    Some of them have overheating problems in the heat of Australia apparently, but we do not live there do we.
    Good luck with the ST1300.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    the one I rode had very poor brakes,
    I found mine had shitty brakes when I got it. The pads didn't have a lot of meat left on them anyway so I got new (genuine Honda) pads - MUCH better!
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Tomorrow I'm off to pick up a replacement ST1300, I'm getting one that is a little less 'written off' than my old one.

Here's my old bike if anyone is interested:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-891623612.htm

My new bike is a 2008 with 40k on the clock and it is red, tomorrow involves a trip to Whakatane and a nice ride home.

The new machine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	364344146.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	312268

I know not everyone would use insurance money to buy the same bike, often taking the opportunity to go to something different, but the ST1300 really does suit my needs and wants for road riding and I love the wind protection for riding to work at 3am in the middle of winter. I don't think it would be easy to find a bike with better wind protection as an alternative to the ST. I also love that reliability and long service interval, it makes running over 20k in a year and relying on a bike to get me to work just that much easier.

Despite the insurance write off I've managed to get insurance on the replacement bike at only $70 dearer, under $600 to insure a $12k bike for a year - thanks kiwibike.co.nz
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Its a Boat
    When and where did you dump the 07'?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Its on my watch list. Likely to go up a lot though. I was trying calculate what it would cost to repair earlier.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    When and where did you dump the 07'?
    On the way home from work about 3 weeks ago, ute pulled on to the road ahead of me going the same direction, empty road so decided to pass as I was going 100kph and he had just pulled on from a driveway, about to pass him when he turned into another driveway and I had nowhere to go - must have been still over 70kph when I hit.
    As he turned the other driver saw me in his mirror, pity he didn't look before turning.

Ortho stiched up my knee:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left%u0025252520knee1a.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	312269

Star insurance through kiwibike was no problem to deal with, I was well pleased with them considering it was under five hundy to insure the bike.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Its on my watch list. Likely to go up a lot though. I was trying calculate what it would cost to repair earlier.
    The cost to repair was more than the $11.5k to pay me out minus what it will sell for. I think it wasn't even close.
    There are 2 really good Michelin PR4GT tyres on that bike though

The bike was good, just coming up to an oil & filter change and rego was due, otherwise probably didn't need to spend anything for ages - this this happens.
    Oh well, gotta be grateful that I wasn't written off - I'm counting my blessings.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information