Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The ST1300 thread!

Bike
    Several old ones

ST1300 my thoughts

I have taken one for a test ride, ie ST1300
    I had mixed thoughts.
    I also followed a mate to Wellington, he was on the ST, with a pillion, I was on a Sports bike.
    On the desert road he was toasty and warm, I was as cold as a cucumber

The good:
    Nice motor , smooth
    Good quality
    Apparently very reliable
    Handling was good
    Two up breeze, you dont notice the pillion
    Nice panniers

Not so Good:
    Felt like a big scooter, rather than a motor bikes I have been used too
    The brakes were not good on the one I rode, maybe it was just that bike?
    Seemed to lack some character, maybe because it was so alround smooth and quiet

The BMW R1200RT has beaten the ST1300 hands down in most reviews I have read.
    But you probably pay for that up front.

All round I think the ST1300 is great bike and if I was into long distance cruising for a reasonable outlay I would definitley consider one.
    Hope you enjoy. Good choice

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Not so Good:
    Felt like a big scooter, rather than a motor bikes I have been used too
    The brakes were not good on the one I rode, maybe it was just that bike?
    Seemed to lack some character, maybe because it was so alround smooth and quiet

The BMW R1200RT has beaten the ST1300 hands down in most reviews I have read.
    But you probably pay for that up front.
    I suspect that the BMW doesn't just cost more up front, ongoing repairs and maintenance would also typically cost more.

I don't quite know in what respect an ST1300 feels like a big scooter - is that just the weather protection? For me riding to work in the middle of winter at 3am - the weather protection really helps a lot.

I'm not surprised about brakes, my first ST1300 never felt that great on brakes until I got new (OEM Honda) pads - then it felt nice with good strong braking force.

I have no objection to smooth and quiet, not that I mind the nice butt massage from my DR650 thumper.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2008 ST1300

eek Oil Type

What Oil Brand/type should I use for the ST. Should I use fully synthetic? Semi synthetic? the manual says use 10w-30 or 10w-40 with an MA classification. I'm guessing there are a lot of options out there, so what's best?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
    What Oil Brand/type should I use for the ST. Should I use fully synthetic? Semi synthetic? the manual says use 10w-30 or 10w-40 with an MA classification. I'm guessing there are a lot of options out there, so what's best?
    I use a 10w-40 fully synthetic in mine. With the 12,000 km interval for oil changes I don't like to use anything cheaper.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    I have a CB1300 SuperFour, does that count?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
    I have a CB1300 SuperFour, does that count?
    I'm afraid not - it isn't a V4 sports tourer.
    Looks to be a pretty nice bike though.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    hahaha fair enough

Bike
    2008 ST1300

eek Brake Pads

Can anyone recommend what make brake pads I need for my ST1300, or part number, where to buy?

Bike
    A
    Can anyone recommend what make brake pads I need for my ST1300, or part number, where to buy?
    Try www.bits4bikes.co.nz and plug in your bike details, all quite simple.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I've always prefered the feel of the standard OEM ones. I've had both the front and rear pads changed last year at a non-Honda motorcycle shop and they had no problems getting the Honda parts. I would think that you could walk into pretty much any motorcycle shop and ask them to get you the standard Honda pads for an ST1300.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    So, for anyone that likes the ST1300 but doesn't own one - mine is now for sale.
    I still love the bike, great sports tourer and master of eating all the kilometres you let it. But I'm now switching to an adventure tourer, CRF1000L DCT to be exact. I need to shift a bike or two first though and I also need some money to put into the new bike.

A couple of years back I considered selling both bikes to get the Africa Twin, but I decided that I trusted the ST1300 more for racking up a lot of kms. On the USA forums they claim that an ST1300 should good for over 1/4 million miles with no engine work, that's pretty hard to beat. Now I've switched to driving a car to work and no longer run up the large amount of kms per year, so changing to the AT DCT is much more viable.

I've really enjoyed the ST1300 + DR650 as a really great combination, between them all sorts of riding is well covered. But now I have a car + 2 bikes and all are registered and insured, that gets a bit pricey! So I'm looking to combine the ST1300 + DR650 into one bike and 1000cc is halfway in engine size, the AT is in between the 2 for weight and for speed and power. The DR650 would be a bit better off the road and the ST1300 would be quite a bit better on sealed roads, but I'm willing to compromise between the two to save $520 per year on rego. My main use for a bike will be touring around NZ and I'd like to incorporate gravel as needed, the AT should be able to get me almost anywhere that I'd look to travelling.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    So, for anyone that likes the ST1300 but doesn't own one - mine is now for sale.
    I still love the bike, great sports tourer and master of eating all the kilometres you let it. But I'm now switching to an adventure tourer, CRF1000L DCT to be exact. I need to shift a bike or two first though and I also need some money to put into the new bike.

A couple of years back I considered selling both bikes to get the Africa Twin, but I decided that I trusted the ST1300 more for racking up a lot of kms. On the USA forums they claim that an ST1300 should good for over 1/4 million miles with no engine work, that's pretty hard to beat. Now I've switched to driving a car to work and no longer run up the large amount of kms per year, so changing to the AT DCT is much more viable.

I've really enjoyed the ST1300 + DR650 as a really great combination, between them all sorts of riding is well covered. But now I have a car + 2 bikes and all are registered and insured, that gets a bit pricey! So I'm looking to combine the ST1300 + DR650 into one bike and 1000cc is halfway in engine size, the AT is in between the 2 for weight and for speed and power. The DR650 would be a bit better off the road and the ST1300 would be quite a bit better on sealed roads, but I'm willing to compromise between the two to save $520 per year on rego. My main use for a bike will be touring around NZ and I'd like to incorporate gravel as needed, the AT should be able to get me almost anywhere that I'd look to travelling.
    neither have ridden or owned either of your bikes . i have had a xl600rf.
    and a cb 750 intergra so its was a big old bus with a huge faring.i have a Honda vfr 750 and a cbr 900rr . the vfr are a great do everthing bike. on the road. the 1200 test ridden is amazing . i read the of road vfr 1200 . is a very powerfull beast retuned for more mid range . its got spoked wheels too and tubeless . but seeing as you want inbetween engine size . how about the africa twin dcc r manuall . i never ridden one . so i cant save for sure. watched many youtube videos . all praise it even compared to the bmw rs .
    there say the dcc is esp good of road. not sure it be as good as your dr 650 of road. but be engine wise it be much more refined. yamha has that big singel that looks bloody nice too. they have a twin as well. dual sport.so much choice really . the triumph triples are so nice sounding . ditto the yamaha dual mt 07 09 versions for the adv market. the africa twin does seem to be a bit special in that regard . just nic balance between road and gravel roads . i dont think i want be doing enduro course on there standred tires though . i read there not so suited to grass etc.the suzuki 1000 vstorm is a good bike too from what i have read esp the lastest version.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    I owned one of the first ST1100s in NZ. It was considered odd by many people then but I loved it. The chap who bought it after me had it for many years and then logically moved to a 1300. The only negative I recall was that the 1100 was a cold ride in winter so I cut a hole in the bodywork each side just in front of my feet and that helped a bit. If I was still young and strong a 1300 would be a bike I'd consider owning.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    A man took my bike! But he did leave me with a nice wad of cash.

I'm really going to miss that bike, especially certain things that I wont have on a new bike. The electrically adjustable screen in particular was so nice to have, so very easy to get it just where you wanted it. The Africa Twin has a screen that is not adjustable at all - if you don't like the air flow you have to buy another screen and hope to choose the right size. I'll miss the fuel range too, having well over 400km range may not be necessary but it is kinda nice to have. I'll definitely miss the shaft drive, so very easy to live with since there is next to no maintenance needed.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    motocompo
    A man took my bike! But he did leave me with a nice wad of cash.

I'm really going to miss that bike, especially certain things that I wont have on a new bike. The electrically adjustable screen in particular was so nice to have, so very easy to get it just where you wanted it. The Africa Twin has a screen that is not adjustable at all - if you don't like the air flow you have to buy another screen and hope to choose the right size. I'll miss the fuel range too, having well over 400km range may not be necessary but it is kinda nice to have. I'll definitely miss the shaft drive, so very easy to live with since there is next to no maintenance needed.
    Why did you sell it again?

Thread Information