Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The ST1300 thread!

Bike
    3 black ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Now that is impressive, I know a couple of lads from up this way that would do that off road stuff on a road bike. Having a 320kgs bike helps with crashing through the water with ease.
    crashed in the water ok - was pretty heavy helping him to pick it up. road tyres didnt help over the slippery rocks

Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Dem rentals can go anywhere!
    lol na was his - seen him a few months later in kaikoura with a flat battery. was in a rush to catch the ferry. thats twice he owes me and thepom now

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Would have thought something like the ST would carve through a small river like a Sherman tank, similar weight...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Would have thought something like the ST would carve through a small river like a Sherman tank, similar weight...
    Take it from me... one wrong rock at the bottom and you go from winning and looking pro, to losing and looking like a dumbass... real fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Take it from me... one wrong rock at the bottom and you go from winning and looking pro, to losing and looking like a dumbass... real fast
    Wet grass on terra firma can conjure up the same result.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

It was alleged that I hit a rock in the water a couple of years ago. If that had happened, I'd know exactly how he felt. Can't confirm or deny I do though but IMHO, ST's and gravel don't mix well and crossing the Mississippi like that is just plain stupidity.

It's a Sports Tourer for God's sake! It was designed to sit at 140kph all day and every day on the autobnahns and autopistas and autostrades of Europe...not to mention scoot up the Alps, H'otes and Pyrenees passes with consumate ease. Unfortunately it doesn't do 500km on a tank at 140kph but!!
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

The ST1300 thread!

I witnessed an ST go around the outside of a Ducati going down the northern side of the Paekok hill. Well impressed. Duc fulla must have spewed in his helmet.
    Dang i would have paid to see that, lol. Very impressive.

Shame the ole Paekok is only 70kmh now eh. Spent my youth fanging it over that stretch of road. Done it two years ago when i got back down there on my ole boulevard 1500 of all things! erm, shall we say, very entertaining spectre dragging everything through most corners, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

The ST1300 thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post

Whoops
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Shame the ole Paekok is only 70kmh now eh.
    60km/h for much of it. There aren't many spots cops like to sit though.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I've been loving my ST1300 Pan European and have now run up more than 13,000kms since buying it in March[/ATTACH]
    Update: Now done 20,000kms.

Rear tyre was looking not so great 4,000kms after buying the bike so I bought a new PR3.
    Today I replaced that tyre after 16,000km made it look worse than the previous tyre at replacement time.
    Got me a nice new PR4GT!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    There was one in my group at a trackday yesterday.

Bike
    XT660Z
    I've been thinking about one of these for NZ roads. Some of questions;

What is the service interval?
    What's the tank range at legal limits?
    Do you ever encounter roads or routes that you avoid because of the bike, e.g gravel?
    And lastly, I guess pillions are pretty happy with the level of comfort - this is strong influencer

My natural inclination would be the Super Tenere but always liked the big tourers so might be time to try something different.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by bgd View Post

Do you ever encounter roads or routes that you avoid because of the bike, e.g gravel?
    And lastly, I guess pillions are pretty happy with the level of comfort - this is strong influencer
    I ride a 2000 ST1100 ex police bike over here in tropical QLD. My 2000 ST1100 cost only $A4000 with 120,000 km on the clock, and when I sell it it'll have 140,000 km and I should get $A3500 for a quick sale. The details for my ST1100 should be ballpark for the ST1300.

15000 km service intervals

550 km range on a 28 L tank at 100 km/hr

I avoid gravel roads and one particular sealed road which goes up the front of the coastal range inland from Mackay which has steel grates across it to drain the summer floods.

My wife only started riding pillion when I got the ST1100, she doesn't fancy touring long distance on it, but we got an airhawk air seat pad and a couple of hundred km is OK for her - and she has got hip problems. I've ridden 400 km non-stop with no problems.

The ST1300 has the following differences to the ST1100:

shorter wheel base
    steeper front forks
    ST1300 has better turn in (though the ST1100 is no slouch either), they both have fuel tanks below the rider's seat and with the v4 engine the c of g is really low
    The ST1100 takes ULP91, I think the ST1300 needs ULP95
    The ST1100 is a sports TOURER, the ST1300 is a SPORTS tourer
    They both have that great V4 engine, you should get 250,000 + km out of it with regular maintenance
    The seat of the ST1100 is high, I'm a little challenged in the inside leg measurement (29" inside leg measurement) and can only put the ball of my feet on the ground when I stop. Also, you back either of them into any angle park - they're heavy to push back. But once under way, they're extremely stable
    The ST1100 (Pan European) was designed in Germany as a cross continent tourer to cruise on the autobahns at 180 km/hr, ST1300 must have similar performamce.
    ST1100 top speed is 220 km/hr, I've had mine up to 200 km/hr and there was some left - more speed left than there was road left.
    The ST1100 and 1300 handle incredibly well, that low c of g comes into it's own when a corner approaches.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD

My natural inclination would be the Super Tenere but always liked the big tourers so might be time to try something different.
    Service interval:
    Honda list 12,800 km (8,000 Mi) between oil changes.
    Shaft drive requires replacing oil every 32,000km - less than 1 litre of 80w oil needed.

Tank range:
    Well over 400km very easily even if giving it some gas to accelerate swiftly.
    450km is not hard to achieve with gentle riding and cruising at 100 - 109 km/h
    With very gentle riding you could get over 500km on a tank, but that can be a bit boring.

I am OK with gravel but would travel much slower with the ST1300 on gravel than I would with my DR650.
    Taking it easy I can't really see why it would be any harder to ride a ST1300 on gravel than any other road bike.

Sorry, no experience with pillions.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I've been thinking about one of these for NZ roads.
    I would add this:
    The ST1300 is actually quite a fun bike to ride on sealed roads, great engine characteristics from the V4 1300 and the bike feels really good pulling out of corners.
    Having ridden the Gentle Annie on my DR650 I'm thinking that I really need to get my ST1300 on to that road, maybe riding it both directions for the sheer fun of it.

It is a heavy bike but also a beautifully balanced one. The weight is actually helpful if riding in high winds.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    6000km with oil & filter every 2nd service
    Touring within the allowable limits will get 500+km. I've had 550km and just been on reserve (so should have made 600km)....and I've had 420km when getting a little over-excited. They are a heavy beast and best economy is achieved riding "the pace" with a steady hand on the throttle. Around town they suck the gas.
    I don't go looking for gravel and don't plan it into my rides but I'm not going to avoid the Forgotten Highway because it's got gravel on it.
    Ann has been known to go to sleep on the back because the ST provides such a smooth ride!

I enjoy the endurance rides (Nth Island 1600; Capital 1,000km; TT2000 and the likes) and the ST is a great machine for that stuff. I'm also a part of the Capital Coast Coneheads (Slowhandling / gymkhana) and the ST is great for that too.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Thread Information