Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The ST1300 thread!

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD

The ST1300 thread!

I've been loving my ST1300 Pan European and have now run up more than 13,000kms since buying it in March, I've been thinking for a while that this great machine needs its own thread in the Touring Bikes section here.
    Maybe others are thinking about this bike and want to know more about what it is like while owners might like to give some info and impressions of this beasty.

I've been thinking about how this differs from my previous recent rides - the Burgman AN400 and the RF900R, I'll give some detailed posts here.

The ST1300 itself:
    This has been my dream bike for a few years now and it hasn't disappointed!
    I love the great weather protection and I can ride for several hours non-stop.
    The electric screen is fantastic, this is definitely no gimmick and I really do find the feature to be very useful.
    I LOVE the V4 engine, such a nice motor!
    Having a shaft drive is great - so much less time and effort and money required to look after compared to a chain drive.
    The bike rides VERY well despite being a big and heavy bike, doesn't even feel heavy when moving even at slow speeds.
    I really appreciate the convenience of plenty of lockable storage, makes bike riding more practical for every day use.
    When I got the bike it had a 42 litre Give top box, I bought a new 55 litre Givi top box and it fitted on to the existing mount - I live the huge storage space it gives me.

Other ST1300 owners - feel free to post your own thoughts and opinions on this bike!
    Curious potential owners - feel free to ask questions.

Here's my bike at the Cold Duck rally:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST1300_03.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	302371
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Compared to my Burgman AN400:

I loved the Burgman for Auckland city commuting, great machine for moving about the city.
    I liked the decent storage with ~65 litres under the seat and a 35 litre top box - good for doing the shopping or just having the storage available while commuting.
    I liked not having to maintain a chain & sprockets, the belt drive was really low maintenance.

The ST1300 also has great storage, something that I missed when I had the RF900R and loved with the Burgman.
    The Burgman gave better fuel economy which was good, but the ST1300 has way better power.
    Now that I am not living in Auckland and my commuting is mainly open road I feel that the bigger bike is the better machine for the job with most of my riding now being at 100-110 kph.

Burgman Pros:
    Better fuel economy.
    Easier around the city with no gear changes or clutch to control.
    LAMS approved - big pro to some.

ST1300 Pros:
    Better power by a LOT.
    More storage and that storage is removable.
    Better open road handling.
    Better weather protection (despite the Burgman being pretty good in this respect).
    Lower RPM at open road speeds.

A lot comes down to what you want in a bike and how you use the bike, for me now the ST1300 is the best machine for what I want a bike for.
    Both the Burgman 400 and the ST1300 red line at 8,500 RPM but when riding at 110kph the Burgman was revving over 7k which made it feel like it was working a bit hard, the ST1300 is only purring at ~3,500 RPM at the same speed which makes it feel like it would be more comfortable travelling at that speed all day long.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Compared to my RF900R:

The RF900R is a great bike, handles well and is a really fun ride.
    But the ST1300 is more comfy over longer distances and has much better weather protection.

After moving out of Auckland I decided that my Burgman 400 which I loved so much as a city commuter wasn't quite the ideal bike for primarily open road riding. Unfortunately I didn't have the money for my ideal bike (ST1300) and I ended up buying an RF900R which was in my price range. I enjoyed the RF with so much better power than the Burgman (about 4x the power and around the same weight) though I did miss the storage capacity.
    Then I started a new job which involved commuting from Morrinsville to Cambridge, starting early in the morning and would be all year around including winter.
    When the new job became permanent and full time I realised that I had a lot more money to work with and getting my dream bike was now possible.
    When I had to get a new chain and sprockets for the RF I knew I really didn't like all the fucking around a chain involved (lubing, cleaning, checking tension, adjusting tension, replacing).

So I changed to the ST1300 and gained these main (to me) advantages:
    MUCH better weather protection, my legs we way warmer riding to work at 3:30am in the middle of winter and my face didn't get numb with cold.
    Lockable storage again (yay!) and way more storage than the rack pack had given me.
    No more lubing a chain, shaft drive is so damn easy to maintain - Honda recommends replacing the final drive oil every 32,000 kms.

I found that the ST1300 uses less fuel than the RF900R despite being bigger and heavier, I guess that newer tech and fuel injection really help here.
    It is nice to not have to worry about a manual choke too.

The main pro for the RF900R is the price, it also is a little sportier and probably corners at a higher speed. But for me and for what I want in a bike the ST1300 is just better.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    No one else wants to contribute to this thread?
    I know there are plenty of members with the ST1300!

Can anyone give a run down of the comparison to other bikes?
    I'd love to read about how the ST1300 compares to the FJR1300 and to the ST1100 if any ST1300 riders have also ridden those.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Its a Boat
    My next bike will something in this category Mark, why is that the ST1300 is perhaps fourth on the list for me? The Concourse/FJR1300 and BMW1300GT stay ahead at this point, there is a real deal on TM at the moment for an 08' ST http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-806289447.htm which is very tempting buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut yeah dunno, they kind of look a bit frumpy. I guess when the time comes, I will test ride several brands and get true feel for each before buying.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    My next bike will something in this category Mark, why is that the ST1300 is perhaps fourth on the list for me? The Concourse/FJR1300 and BMW1300GT stay ahead at this point, there is a real deal on TM at the moment for an 08' ST http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-806289447.htm which is very tempting buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut yeah dunno, they kind of look a bit frumpy. I guess when the time comes, I will test ride several brands and get true feel for each before buying.
    Test a few bikes and post your thoughts on how the ST1300 compares to others - this could be helpful to many others thinking about what sports tourer to buy.

I don't know about frumpy, to me the ST seems like a good bike for . . . well for riding and riding and then riding some more.
    I've added over 16,000 kms to mine since buying it in March and I still like riding it.
    I've been to the Cold Duck, Cold Kiwi and in 2 1/2 weeks I'm off to the Roast Duck Rally.
    I'll be doing some touring this summer and I'm looking at a nice long south island trip next summer.

I'd love to read a comparison with the FJR1300, that was a bike I was going to look into if I didn't like the ST1300. They have many similarities and several differences, I would presume there would be fans of both but I really want to know from someone's first hand experience on both bikes about the key differences.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I guess when the time comes, I will test ride several brands and get true feel for each before buying.
    This is a biggie when your looking at putting a continent (or country) crusher in the stable. A mate of average stature sold his ST1300 because it became uncomfortable on his knees after a few hours. It also stewed his plums when stuck in traffic over the summer.
    Mind you, he could punt it over the Mangamukas, 2 up, faster than his Fireblade. Easier to ride.
    When the time comes Maha, a comparo of the class would be interesting reading.
    Personally having spent some time on an ST1100 & a short time on the 13 I think they are great bikes and yup, I love the turbine, er, motor.
    Just to big for my shed & to big for the way I enjoy my favourite roads.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A
    The ST1300 was on my list before I bought my Busa a year and a bit ago. Now I'll be fair and admit I spent a few weeks fanging an ST1300 around western Europe a few years back, so I'm familiar enough with the bike. Now I agree with your prognosis of it being a great bike to log lots of clicks on, and without running the bike down, I still prefer a bit more get up and go for now.

When I compared the FJR/Concours/ST the easiest bike to ride was the ST for my way of riding. In a few years when it's time to take a more sedate pace, this subject will be revisited of course.

Great to hear you're enjoying your ST for now though!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Interestin. The ex ST owner now has Busa. I have had a fang on it & gelled instantly. Not sure how Suzuki have achieved it but the bike is sublimely easy to ride & fits like a glove.
    A big thing with the ST in Europe was it's ability to get past multiple trucks in one hit. My up over TDM ran out of puff and I think a Busa would have put me in prison.
    A joy with the ST was walking into the hotel / lodgings with funky suitcases.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The ST1300 was on my list before I bought my Busa a year and a bit ago. Now I'll be fair and admit I spent a few weeks fanging an ST1300 around western Europe a few years back, so I'm familiar enough with the bike. Now I agree with your prognosis of it being a great bike to log lots of clicks on, and without running the bike down, I still prefer a bit more get up and go for now.

When I compared the FJR/Concours/ST the easiest bike to ride was the ST for my way of riding. In a few years when it's time to take a more sedate pace, this subject will be revisited of course.

Great to hear you're enjoying your ST for now though!
    One can't argue that the Busa has the goods to go, but having ridden a lot over the years with my mate Steve who was riding a Busa, my take is that the ST has truckloads of docile power and the tighter the roads get, the ST would go better than the Busa because I could be quite brutal with power application, whereas Steve would have to show more constraint to prevent the front coming up or arse going out. For a big, heavy bike, the ST is very easy to throw around and it's possible to keep up with most sprotty riders.

I've never considered the Concours because I prefer being able to get over 400km from a tank (although that's subject to change with an aging bladder) and I don't see the point in paying the bucks for a Beemer.

XP@ has just gone from an FJR to an ST and he seems to prefer the ST, whereas Hitcher has had both and swears by the FJR.....it's been some years but he still gets a far-off dreamy look in his eye when sees or talks of FJR's! Mr Honda might put paid to the discussion soon enough as the ST's seem to be getting harder to get, but they are built to last and there will be 2nd-hand ones around for years.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I witnessed an ST go around the outside of a Ducati going down the northern side of the Paekok hill. Well impressed. Duc fulla must have spewed in his helmet.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    I still prefer a bit more get up and go for now.
    That's something I certainly don't need.
    The ST1300 has enough go that if I were caught using it I'd be in BIG trouble.
    For riding on the road I don't really need to be travelling over 200kph so a super sports bike that can do 300+ just isn't all that necessary for me.
    To be honest I prefer the luxury of the luggage space.

My brother in law rides a ZX-14 and it seems nice, but I prefer my bike.
    I've recently bought a 2nd hand Redverz Expidition II tent for $400 from trademe - kinda need a big bike to take a tent that big, not sure if I'll park my bike in the garage part or just use it as a lounge area.
    For camping the amount I can carry on the ST is pretty darned sweet!
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    3 black ones
    i thinks this is a st1300 - was crossing the river in lees vally which is about 70km of rough gravel. i was pretty impressed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1733.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	888.7 KB 
ID:	305486  

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Now that is impressive, I know a couple of lads from up this way that would do that off road stuff on a road bike. Having a 320kgs bike helps with crashing through the water with ease.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    i thinks this is a st1300 - was crossing the river in lees vally which is about 70km of rough gravel. i was pretty impressed
    Dem rentals can go anywhere!
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Thread Information