Thread: Sena 20s bluetooth communication system

Bike
    GSX1300R

Sena 20s bluetooth communication system

The primary reason I bought this was for use with my GPS navigation. I wanted the voice prompts rather than needing to glance at the map. For this use and only this use it works ok. There is a kit available with just the mic, speakers, and helmet clamp if you have multiple helmets which I do. I like that I can easily switch the unit between helmets.

The 20s battery charge lasts for a full day's ride and it charges via USB which is nice. The module does not weigh much and I don't notice it on the helmet. I found remembering the button combinations easy after a day out with the unit. It works well with winter gloves on for the most part. Pairing the phone was easy and flawless. Pairing with the navigation unit was much more difficult. You have to set it up using a second phone option and several additional time sensitive steps to select GPS navigation. I could not do this without the manual open. Once I paired the devices I have not needed to do so again.

Using voice configuration (a highlighted feature in the product description) did not work for me. It's voice recognition was poor and the menus to convoluted to remember where options are. The phone app is easy to use and this is what I use for changes. It's a good clean interface.

Updating the firmware is done though an app for PC or Mac. It's an OK app and does what it needs to. Aside from updating the firmware I don't use it, much prefer the phone app.

I really like the option to tap the phone button and use my phone's voice interface. Unlike Sena's voice interface, my phone's voice interface works flawlessly. I use this to select playlist, call home etc.

I don't like the way the 20s works with the GPS. When voice prompts from the GPS are played the music shuts off for several seconds either side of the voice prompt. I was expecting to be able to overlay the GPS voice prompts with the music/phone. There is an option to connect the phone via the GPS but that's a nuisance since I don't always carry the GPS with me so I would have to keep re-pairing the phone to use this option.

My biggest issue with the 20s is that it's too easy to press the jog dial button when adjusting the volume or selecting an option when I have gloves on. It causes the 20s to go search for intercom connect for 30 seconds. I don't have any paired intercom devices and it's too easy to active this by mistake. There should be an option to disable the intercom functionality when using this as just a blue tooth device interface. It's a major annoyance to me.

The FM radio will not work here in NZ out of the box. It has to be configured for other countries. The reason is the frequency separation when in US mode (the default). It can't use or lock onto the stations frequency's used here unless this is changed. The phone app allows you to change this.

I like the 20s but I'm not sure I would purchase it again. The problem with it searching for intercom devices when adjusting the volume or selecting an option is a really bad interface flaw and even after having this for a while now is a problem on every ride for me. I also don't like the GPS interface although I can live with it and it would not be a deal breaker. If GPS navigation is being used, it should have the highest priority and the voice prompts should be overlaid.

I don't mind the horrible voice interface as the phone app more than makes up for that not being usable. Even if the voice interface worked for me, I would still much rather use the phone app.

Bike
    Sold
    Thorough review thanks

I have the earlier version, the SMH10 which is still available. It works exceptionally well in all areas. Battery life on one charge and clarity of voice are the most important features for me and it has both in spades. Due to my own ham-fistedness, I bent one of the connector pins and broke it trying to straighten it. Have made a temporary fix until the new body (not the carrier) arrives from the US for US$111.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Due to my own ham-fistedness, I bent one of the connector pins and broke it trying to straighten it. Have made a temporary fix until the new body (not the carrier) arrives from the US for US$111.
    Yes quite a common problem, your not the first. It's really a bad design point. The pogo pins on the 20s are on the carrier with contact pads on the device. It's likely a more durable design on that point, but time will tell.

I agree the sound is good and comparable between the two. I don't think the 20s offers much over the SMH10 except longer range and a slightly longer lasting battery (8hrs vas 10hrs).

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    I agree the sound is good and comparable between the two. I don't think the 20s offers much over the SMH10 except longer range and a slightly longer lasting battery (8hrs vas 10hrs).
    The biggest difference is the dual hardware, allowing it to function with more bluetooth devices simultaneously, handle items like apple products better etc. It can also have 8 way conference I think, whereas the 10 range can handle up to 4.

I use an SMH10R on my own helmet and have a SMH10B for other riders' helmets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information