Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to do CBTA in Auckland?

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Great, but how do you know they are great? I was told I was a good rider, but what qualified them to pass that judgement?

Incidentally, I've raised my riding since then. You must continually strive to be better, and you're never going to be finished. However, make sure you continue to keep a receptive frame of mind. I've come across plenty a rider that thought they were good... and weren't.
    Well both who mentored me have never had any major incidents. One of them always does track days and teaches me that side of riding, the control etc and the other rides for fun and teaches me awareness and those street skills. But a lot is also from just learning myself by reading and watching videos then going out and actually practicing.

Yes I definitely agree I should always keep a receptive frame of mind. I'm only as good as my last ride!

Bike
    GSX1300R
    I've had a license for many years and yesterday went out for a day with RiderSkills in Auckland on a RoadCraft one-on-one lesson. Don't think you know everything until you've been out and assessed by someone who really knows how to survive on the road. I've got a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Well both who mentored me have never had any major incidents. One of them always does track days and teaches me that side of riding, the control etc and the other rides for fun and teaches me awareness and those street skills. But a lot is also from just learning myself by reading and watching videos then going out and actually practicing.

Yes I definitely agree I should always keep a receptive frame of mind. I'm only as good as my last ride!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    I've had a license for many years and yesterday went out for a day with RiderSkills in Auckland on a RoadCraft one-on-one lesson. Don't think you know everything until you've been out and assessed by someone who really knows how to survive on the road. I've got a lot to learn.
    Yep, going out with Philip for the first time for an IAM initial assessment as opposed to his one day advanced course (but based on the same Roadcraft system) was a bit of a shock for me after riding for a few decades and thinking I was an "ok" sort of rider . Philip was incredibly patient and a great tutor and there was no certainly no fault on his part. It was simply that his knowledge of road survival techniques and mine were light years apart and that's what was so humbling.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    I have done the Rider Skills Silver training with a respectable outfit and was somewhat underwhelmed, to be honest. The lines taught were the lines I rode already; the general approach likewise; the low speed skills and braking practise I had done for free with NASS in the past (and still do from time to time on my own). Much of this was because I had also done Ride Right, Ride Safe ($50) and repeated it for free a couple of years later and done similar research and sought feedback much as you describe.

I'm not saying I know it all because I absolutely do not. But Silver Rider Skills really didn't move me on very much, simply because it was one trainer to seven riders, as I recall, and there were a couple of people who needed quite a bit of help. So those of us who needed less direction, got less.

I believe I'd have got more learning out of less time spent one-on-one with a really good trainer. If you can get someone with outstanding knowledge and the ability to teach it for $50 more, I'd suggest it may well be money better spent than a cheap CBTA and Silver Rider Skills later. YMMV.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chasio View Post
    I have done the Rider Skills Silver training with a respectable outfit and was somewhat underwhelmed, to be honest. The lines taught were the lines I rode already; the general approach likewise; the low speed skills and braking practise I had done for free with NASS in the past (and still do from time to time on my own). Much of this was because I had also done Ride Right, Ride Safe ($50) and repeated it for free a couple of years later and done similar research and sought feedback much as you describe.
    You have taken rider training with more than ONE organisation .. ??? ... WHY ... ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

I'm not saying I know it all because I absolutely do not. But Silver Rider Skills really didn't move me on very much, simply because it was one trainer to seven riders, as I recall, and there were a couple of people who needed quite a bit of help. So those of us who needed less direction, got less.
    If you needed less ... why should you GET more ...

I believe I'd have got more learning out of less time spent one-on-one with a really good trainer. If you can get someone with outstanding knowledge and the ability to teach it for $50 more, I'd suggest it may well be money better spent than a cheap CBTA and Silver Rider Skills later. YMMV.

Your experience with a variety of instructional organizations show ... you are lacking in confidence in the instructions value ...

or stupid.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You have taken rider training with more than ONE organisation .. ??? ... WHY ... ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????
    Cos he wanted different advice from different riders

Your experience with a variety of instructional organizations show ... you are lacking in confidence in the instructions value ...

or stupid.
    Not necessarily. It's always good to get different points of view from different experts
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    Cos he wanted different advice from different riders
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    Not necessarily. It's always good to get different points of view from different experts
    Silly you ... he has US to give him ALL the advice (what WE think) he NEEDS ...

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Silly you ... he has US to give him ALL the advice (what WE think) he NEEDS ...
    Oh of course. I totally forgot
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    Dog Rooter

or stupid.
    I wrote a post based on my observations. I really do not understand your ad hominem reply.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I wrote a post based on my observations. I really do not understand your ad hominem reply.
    My post was written based on your observed lack of faith ... in the worth of instruction you had already received.

Understanding what you have already been told seems to be an issue with you ... No amount of Latin will change that.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    My post was written based on your observed lack of faith ... in the worth of instruction you had already received.

Understanding what you have already been told seems to be an issue with you ... No amount of Latin will change that.
    Thank you for not shouting. However, I still don't believe you have made a point worth making.

I will try to explain so you understand:
    1. No-one knows everything.
    2. Different people can teach me different things.
    3. I have the humility required to accept that.
    4. I make a point of booking some training every year so that I learn new things and get picked up on bad habits.
    5. I did not find Silver training very useful, due to a lack of personal feedback and I shared that experience with the OP.

I remain at a loss why you find it necessary to attack me for sharing this experience. TTFN

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for not shouting. However, I still don't believe you have made a point worth making.

I will try to explain so you understand:
    1. No-one knows everything.
    2. Different people can teach me different things.
    3. I have the humility required to accept that.
    4. I make a point of booking some training every year so that I learn new things and get picked up on bad habits.
    5. I did not find Silver training very useful, due to a lack of personal feedback and I shared that experience with the OP.

I remain at a loss why you find it necessary to attack me for sharing this experience. TTFN
    I've no need to shout .. you're too far away to hear me anyway ...

1: There are some on KB that claim differently.

2: But they can't teach you what you've already learned. Even if you don't realize that you HAVE learned anything.

3: But not to accept when you are wrong.

4: Obviously an incorrect result regardless of intention) if you admit you had been instructed stuff you had ALREADY been taught by previous training instructors. Perhaps ... make a better (educated) choice of your instructors in future. In future check the course content before parting with your time/money.

But I admit ... it is your time/money.

No attack ... just questions.

Oh ... 5: Being told stuff you have already been taught/know is seldom useful.

Bike
    TF125
    FJ, take the blue pills please, for fucks sake.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    3: But not to accept when you are wrong.
    On the contrary, but I prefer evidence over opinion. And I suggest we stop pissing in this thread now. All the best.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    4: Obviously an incorrect result regardless of intention) if you admit you had been instructed stuff you had ALREADY been taught by previous training instructors. Perhaps ... make a better (educated) choice of your instructors in future. In future check the course content before parting with your time/money.

But I admit ... it is your time/money.

No attack ... just questions.

Oh ... 5: Being told stuff you have already been taught/know is seldom useful.
    There is nothing wrong with doing multiple courses, and everyone is human, so not everyone picks up everything. Training is also ongoing, you don't complete a course and then you're good to go for a decade (or life). You can also have good and bad days when riding, so ongoing training has further validity there.

In terms of training, yes, it will vary. Obviously the cheapest option is going to have multi people to instructor, one on one is going to be the most intensive and tailored. It can also be hard work remembering all the little things by the time you come to a debrief.

Also, because he's done multiple sessions of training, he's able to see what's worthwhile and what isn't. It seems he approached all sessions with an open mind, but was able to pick and choose what was good and what was bad. This in itself means he's able to self-assess, which will be invaluable every day he rides, as an instructor won't be following him all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information