Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to do CBTA in Auckland?

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1

Cheapest place to do CBTA in Auckland?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the cheapest instructor to do my CBTA R. So far $175 is the cheapest I've found in Auckland but I'm wondering if there are private instructors that do it cheaper? I've heard that private ones are cheaper as they don't have overheads/middle man fees compared to if you did it through a company.

Going through LTNZ is an option but I would rather give my money to a proper motorbike company/instructor.

Also I know the differences in cost are around $50 but that is $50 I can put towards something else, being a student it matters a lot.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The best, dont know if cheapest. Dont care. Phill knows his stuff and will teach you things you didnt know you needed to know.

http://www.riderskills.co.nz/

Training and testing is not something you cheap out on.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Also I know the differences in cost are around $50 but that is $50 I can put towards something else, being a student it matters a lot.
    Except your life matters the most. Quality over cheap any day for proper training.

I'd agree with the spoked one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I highly recommend Dawn from Rider Training - in fact there is a thread here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130703334

where I gush about how awesome it was to do my test with Dawn and Co. So much so that sometime this November, we (my mate and I) are going to book in our tests with Rider Training for our CBTA2 - Restricted to Full.

as others above have said - Good Quality training is worth paying for, and I can assure you, that I feel I got every cent worth of value out of my CBTA1 test from Dawn
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Sold
    Ditto with Philip from RiderSkills. Outstanding, patient tutor who puts a huge amount of voluntary time back into raising riding standards outside his main business. Amazing guy.

Bike
    A black one
    +1 for Dawn from Rider Training. Did my CBTA-F with her last year and it was very good.

I've heard good things about Phil too though, so perhaps whoever is closer to you?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for the cheapest instructor to do my CBTA R ....
    If you know everything ... why do you need an instructor .. ???

Quality instruction costs ... poor instruction (can) cost more. I hope you live long enough to learn the difference.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    + 1 for Philip at RiderSkills

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Thank you for your replies everyone.

I am by no means saying I'm advanced or amazing at riding, but I don't want to pay extra for tuition during CBTA when I get a ton more tuition outside of it. Doing it through LTNZ will give me absolutely no feedback I'm sure but the $50 I save I can put towards the Ride Forever Silver course next that is an entire day of riding with plenty of valuable teachings.

I will check out Dawn or the guy who took me for my learners licence who operates in Henderson who is as far as Philip but I'd rather go back to the same guy.

I just feel like this stupid move to Restricted licence is purely an obligation and a way for LTNZ to make a bit more money off me. I literally gain nothing except the ability to remove my L plates! I wish you could just wait a year and move to your full licence. Hell even make me wait 2 years before I move up, I just don't understand the point of the restricted!

Bike
    GSX1300R
    I just feel like this stupid move to Restricted licence is purely an obligation and a way for LTNZ to make a bit more money off me. I literally gain nothing except the ability to remove my L plates! I wish you could just wait a year and move to your full licence. Hell even make me wait 2 years before I move up, I just don't understand the point of the restricted!
    Or it could be a valuable life saving checkpoint of your skills and road sense with someone who's an experienced seasoned rider.

Bike
    Between bikes
    There is a certain stand-down with the 'ride forever' funding so it'd hardly be that you get a 'ton' of tuition outside of CBTA. I did bronze on my learners and silver on my restricted. More wouldn't have hurt but it would have cost $$$.

If you aren't doing the CBTA course to shortcut the process then you would probably be better just going for a standard restricted test. Rather than trying to save $20 from one CBTA instructor to another.

By the way, LTNZ haven't existed since 2008.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    Or it could be a valuable life saving checkpoint of your skills and road sense with someone who's an experienced seasoned rider.
    Ok I get your point. I agree when you look at it that way, many people may be on their learners riding alone and picking up bad habits until their restricted. I was thinking about myself rather than many other people who ride but won't have the same teachings I have had so far. Pretty fortunate for that to be honest but others may not always have access to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    There is a certain stand-down with the 'ride forever' funding so it'd hardly be that you get a 'ton' of tuition outside of CBTA. I did bronze on my learners and silver on my restricted. More wouldn't have hurt but it would have cost $$$.

If you aren't doing the CBTA course to shortcut the process then you would probably be better just going for a standard restricted test. Rather than trying to save $20 from one CBTA instructor to another.

By the way, LTNZ haven't existed since 2008.

LTNZ, LTSA, NZTA whatever, you get the idea.

I was just considering my options before biting the bullet and paying for a CBTA. Way rather do CBTA than with a tester who doesn't even ride. I was just considering my options and looking for advice.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Way rather do CBTA than with a tester who doesn't even ride.
    Don't think it's even possible. The whole point of CBTA is more intensive learning, with more skills developed, and in return, your licence period is shortened.

You must have a lot of faith in whatever instruction you've been given.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

You must have a lot of faith in whatever instruction you've been given.

I actually do have a lot of faith in my instruction I've received. The riders have never had a serious incident, and are amazing to watch during a ride. The knowledge they have is vast and has helped me made recognizable improvements almost overnight sometimes.
    The instruction I've received from a couple of really experienced riders, the numerous books and online articles I've read, trawling through these forums reading all sorts of advice and opinions, and watched/watching a ton of videos on skill improvements and even spills, then gone and applied those by myself in carparks and quiet roads... (still do, never stop learning and always need to see how far I can push my emergency braking!) the thousands of kms I've done in the few months I've ridden have all added so much. I literally ride every single day and it's like a part of me I can't even describe how obsessed I am with bikes now I just love it and I want to get better and better. I want to buy a track bike next year after I graduate and get a full-time job so I can really improve my riding and leave the nice cruising for the weekend roads. I think I'll do it till I die. Maybe when I have kids I'll have a track-only bike. But hell I'll never stop riding.

Maybe I'll have an incident tomorrow or whenever in the future but I'm pretty sure I'm not overconfident. My heart still beats fast with fear when I get on my bike every morning because I'm scared I'll get hurt. But I think you need some of that to keep you humble.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I actually do have a lot of faith in my instruction I've received. The riders have never had a serious incident, and are amazing to watch during a ride. The knowledge they have is vast and has helped me made recognizable improvements almost overnight sometimes.
    Great, but how do you know they are great? I was told I was a good rider, but what qualified them to pass that judgement?

Incidentally, I've raised my riding since then. You must continually strive to be better, and you're never going to be finished. However, make sure you continue to keep a receptive frame of mind. I've come across plenty a rider that thought they were good... and weren't.

Thread Information