Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand. What a back water shit hole.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Between 60 and 80 cubes as reported is a lot more then nothing.

Plus real numbers very likely to be much larger....
    Everything gets always seriously under reported.

In the offshore if we were to spill a single cup , we would be in unimaginable deep shit.

With 9000 cubes going through that line daily, it is un believable that nobody installed a wee bit of the readily available gadgetry.
    You know....so you can see, while pumping that you get the same amount at the other end....

Amateurs
    Nobody suggested there was nothing spilled, the absolutely nil was what was what they claimed was left after the cleanup.

And there's been pressure monitoring gadgetry installed, along with the custody transfer meters at Wiri since the line was built.

If you wanted to compare what's going in at MP with what's coming out at Wiri accurately enough to significantly reduce potential losses then you'd need to compensate for temperature at every point down the line. I'm not sure how many temperature transducers you'd need, but it'd be lots. Having experience with just such systems I can promise you there'd also be a lot of false positives every time the comm's fail.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. Compared to what goes down that line every day it's sweet fuck all.

Which is admittedly a tad more than the "absolutely nill" left after the clean up.

The 60 -80 tons thats just just what didn't soak into the surrounding ground.
    the "virtually nil" after clean up is spin from the pipline company.

Note the Rena NZ'S worst fuel spill was 350 tonnes of heavy fuel oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The 60 -80 tons thats just just what didn't soak into the surrounding ground.

Note the Rena NZ'S worst fuel spill was 350 tonnes of heavy fuel oil.
    Oh right.

So what's the actual number then?

Bike
    husaberg
    Oh right.

A shit load more than only A few tons.
    They did say how much they lost at one stage, but I can't remember. Wouldn't have been more than a few tons, as soon as the pressure drops the pump shuts down.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Your opinion is noted, dude.

For what it's worth.

Bike
    husaberg
    Your opinion is noted, dude.

For what it's worth.
    Its apparent my opinion is Worth a shit load more than your opinion,given you estimated that it wouldn't amount to "more than a fewtons" when even the pipeline company acknowledges it was at least 60-80tons. Not including what was soaked into the ground

But feel free to ignore that inconvenient fact.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Its apparent my opinion is Worth a shit load more than your opinion,given you estimated that it wouldn't amount to "more than a fewtons" when even the pipeline company acknowledges it was at least 60-80tons. Not including what was soaked into the ground

But feel free to ignore that inconvenient fact.
    What's apparent is that you have no fucking idea how much of that spill remains in the environment, and in spite of that you'd rather depend on what you want to be true rather than simply admit that you don't know.

As for the original 60 80 ton, did you bother considering how that compares to the hourly deliveries down the line? Did you consider how much product would have been in the adjacent kilometer or so either side of the leak? Isn't it obvious that they would have had to react fairly quickly to limit a spill from to those comparatively tiny few ton?

So what, exactly are you trying to prove with your wee shock/horror spin exercise, dude?

Bike
    husaberg
    What's apparent is that you have no fucking idea how much of that spill remains in the environment, and in spite of that you'd rather depend on what you want to be true rather than simply admit that you don't know.

As for the original 60 80 ton, did you bother considering how that compares to the hourly deliveries down the line? Did you consider how much product would have been in the adjacent kilometer or so either side of the leak? Isn't it obvious that they would have had to react fairly quickly to limit a spill from to those comparatively tiny few ton?

So what, exactly are you trying to prove with your wee shock/horror spin exercise, dude?
    Lets get this straight you said it was only a few tons at most.

Wouldn't have been more than a few tons, .
    I pointed out it was at least 60-80 tons by the pipe lines operators own reckoning no less, not including the fuel still in the soil.
    60 to 80 tons is neither a minor spill or a tiny few tons. Despite of you continued attempts to make it out to be one.
    60 to 80 tons is not a few tons.
    It will never be regarded as a minor spill either, especially considering the courts in NZ previously ruled one a mere 10% the size a major spill.
    You clearly don't know shit, plus clearly you don't like that being pointed out. Hence you attempts to now make it out to be only a fraction of the pipes capascity, because its irellevent.
    As for how much is left i couldn't give a shit, it is in the North Island no one cares about that shit hole. Your attempting to muddy the waters of what was me simply pointing out it wasn't a few tons, just further proves you can't admit you were clearly wrong.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Lets get this straight you said it was only a few tons at most.

I pointed out it was at least 60-80 tons by the pipe lines operators own reckoning, not including the fuel still in the soil.
    60 to 80 tons is neither a minor spill or a few tons. insipte of you continuied attempts to make it out to be one.
    You clearly don't know shit, plus clearly you don't like that being pointed out.
    As for how much is left i couldn't give a shit, it is in the north island no one cares about that shit hole.
    Yes, you need to stop pointing out shit and start reading shit.

Oh right.

Now why don't you go practice some?

Bike
    husaberg
    Yes, you need to stop pointing out shit and start reading shit.
    Now why don't you go practice some?
    Practice what?How about you answer the very simple question that has been put to you all ready rather than try and attempt to change the subject yet again

So what is it that was ocean only a few tons or 60-80 tons.
    I look foward to you ignoring that one again.

Next thing you will be crowing on that the fuel spill was clearly great for the economy...........
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    You blabbering as if Ocean is responsible for this mishap. ..

Where as he seems to be the only one on this forum who actually has practical knowledge about the whole setup.

I find that interesting.
    And with a 9000 ton flow per day, 60 to 80 cubes is only 10 to 15 min worth of pumping......

So it is indeed fuck all in the greater scheme of things.

Also put this thread, and the whole forum in perspective.

Relax...and read and learn from what people have to say about a subject they know something about...
    And you don't
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    You blabbering as if Ocean is responsible for this mishap. ..

Where as he seems to be the only one on this forum who actually has practical knowledge about the whole setup.

I find that interesting.
    And with a 9000 ton flow per day, 60 to 80 cubes is only 10 to 15 min worth of pumping......

So it is indeed fuck all in the greater scheme of things.

Also put this thread, and the whole forum in perspective.

Relax...and read and learn from what people have to say about a subject they know something about...
    And you don't
    No i are not, I am pointing out 60-80 tons is not and never will be a only a few tons.
    Ocean can't bring himself to admit that this is the case.
    Its really quite simple.
    As for the rest.
    It doesn't mater what didn't leak out, It matters what actually did.
    Your anology reminds me of the Chernobyl power station reactors
    By your logic it only melted down a few times the rest of the 20-40 years it was safe as, so don't make a fuss about a few tons of radiation
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....millions of years ago when I was working for the great Shell company and trusted with big jobs , my mate who was on pipeline and valve inspection with me while we were offloading 'Regular', benzine from a ship to shore tanks, had a 'slight', problem with a valve that would have split 'Shellite' from another tank into the incoming petroleum. We were mixing the Shellite, similar to White Spirit with the Regular spirit, 'cos thats what we did to empty or clean tanks. That's also why the Regular was so fucked up as a fuel generally. All above board too, as the cunts got away with whatever they liked and still do.

Anyway small things become big things when pipes 400mm wide and pumping furiously don't do what was planned because some dumb cunt forgot to spin another valve to shut other shit off. Anyway only a 'few tons' of the shit spilled onto the ground, but hey the bunds were there to hold it in. Like fuck, they were in disrepair also and to this day I'm not really sure where all that crap ended up. but we told the Supervisor the next morning that we had lost a 'few gallons', and after him checking the area out we carried on like nothing had happened.

Common occurrences when humans and large quantities are involved. I wonder how many hundreds of times that has happened since the first big tanks went into that area in 1922.

Bike
    A
    Also reminds me of a story told to me by a fellow tanker driver. He took a full semi load of diesel to a trucking outfit in the wops. He'd never been there before, but hey, was told where to go and all. Turns out he dropped 32000 litres of diesel into a tank that he had dipped as being "dry" and it was still "dry" after delivery. Wrong tank, no shit, as the one he delivered into was condemned (leaking) years ago. Nobody had ever bothered with following proper lockout procedures until the regular driver who serviced this outfit was on leave at short notice. So strange stuff happens that Joe Public doesn't always find out about...

What's the bet we get some action on an additional pipeline or alternative delivery stream into Auckland following the MPT pipeline rupture...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    The pipeline failure brings into question the "robustness" of all infrastructure in NZ. How robust is the electricity grid? The natural gas network in the North Island? Do TPTB ask "What if...?" questions? Or are they hoping they never have to react to a situation?

Thread Information