Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand. What a back water shit hole.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    edited for accuracy.
    Accuracy has never (in the past) been your concern in your posts .. why start now ... ??????????

In west Jaffa city ... the power has already been cut off in most parts ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Between bikes
    Mmmmmm.... a case for getting solar panels. That way if a substation goes bang....

"It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    F800GS
    Hey Auckland....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    NZ! I love life here.
    I thought you were in Wellington ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    husaberg
    Transpower are currently being restructured again and have been ordered to go on a major cost cutting drive (in order to look sexier for a partial float.)
    But that said Transpower or the other distributers are not what currently drives your power prices its the retailers and generators........
    Buried infrastructure whist being less unsightly is hard to maintain cost 100x as much if not more to build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Transpower are currently being restructured again and have been ordered to go on a major cost cutting drive (in order to look sexier for a partial float.)
    But that said Transpower or the other distributers are not what currently drives your power prices its the retailers and generators........
    Hmmmm ... the Government demands transpower pay a return on investment .. which affects the price transpower sells electricity to the retailer for ... which affects the prices we pay when it gets to us ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2008 ZX10R
    It amazes me that people are so naive. I work in another heavy industry where the focus on safety is more than you can imagine. However we still have incidents every now and then where a piece of equipment fails. There are lot of legacy items that have been around for 50+ years. Most of them don't meet current standards if built new now. However the business accepts the risk as the cost of bringing everything to today's code and standard would essentially mean scrap it all and build it new. Which could cost in the millions. We live in a country which has the least problems. Most third world countries have scheduled power cuts daily upto 12 hrs a day for upto 6 months to save power. If you think NZ is a shot hole then I highly recommend you get out of your little fantasy world you live in and go see the world. You don't have to go far today realise we live in one of the best if not best countries. 4-5 Australian cities usually come in top 10 cities in the world to live in, but if you compare those cities to NZ we have far less crime rate, unemployment, homelessness and many other problems. Stop blaming others for everything (especially the government) that happens and stop taking NZ for granted.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I think the description is "business model" and the current government is rather keen on this model "Business knows best! And moving the business forward" and - at this point the cynic-devil in me sits on the shoulder - as most of the areas without power are probably strong holds of government supporters then they must also - drawing long bow here - support the business model and the consequences of such model.

Of course the state-owner model also has it down falls... all those awful hydro dams on the Waikato River were a result of that state-owned model...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...i have a spare torch and a blanket or two if anyone really needs them...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I thought you were in Wellington ...
    Love the wind too funnily enough!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Love the wind too funnily enough!
    "Wellington"! ... A wind strong enough to put a ferry down ... and coffee strong enough to bring it back up! ... Yep, that's our Wellington!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Stranded outside the coffee shop in Sylvia Park with no cell phone coverage or internet for 8 bleedin' hours.
    Hundreds of similar latteless zombies were in the same predicament, driving around aimlessly in their Audi 4x4's.
    When the news that St Lukes had been spared many made the perilous traffic lightless journey there and were able to update Friendbook.
    Had to resort to talking to actual people and doing things like mowing the lawn..... 8 hours I wish never to repeat. Most excellent news that the Govt is going to have an enquiry....they must have got lots of Don't Likes from Remmers..
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by jafa21 View Post
    It amazes me that people are so naive. I work in another heavy industry where the focus on safety is more than you can imagine. However we still have incidents every now and then where a piece of equipment fails. There are lot of legacy items that have been around for 50+ years. Most of them don't meet current standards if built new now. However the business accepts the risk as the cost of bringing everything to today's code and standard would essentially mean scrap it all and build it new. Which could cost in the millions. We live in a country which has the least problems. Most third world countries have scheduled power cuts daily upto 12 hrs a day for upto 6 months to save power. If you think NZ is a shot hole then I highly recommend you get out of your little fantasy world you live in and go see the world. You don't have to go far today realise we live in one of the best if not best countries. 4-5 Australian cities usually come in top 10 cities in the world to live in, but if you compare those cities to NZ we have far less crime rate, unemployment, homelessness and many other problems. Stop blaming others for everything (especially the government) that happens and stop taking NZ for granted.
    So, other countries in the world haven't got their shit sorted, so we should just continue to half arse our major infrastructure cause NZ half arsing is still better than most of the rest of the world....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    CB1300
    The irony, backwater Tuakau kept the power on. Maybe if Auckland was a backwater power would be on line?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    So, other countries in the world haven't got their shit sorted, so we should just continue to half arse our major infrastructure cause NZ half arsing is still better than most of the rest of the world....
    Maybe we should find out the facts about the cause of the fire before we get our panties in to much of a twist, and
    after all, it is only Auckland.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Thread Information