Thread: Help get my bike going!

Bike
    1976 Honda CB750

Help get my bike going!

I have a VT250 F2 H that I bought without an Ignition unit (CDI). I have tried 2 units in it and despite the second one being gauranteed to be good still have no spark. I have gone throught the entire ignition wiring and cannot find anything wrong. Everything points to the ignition unit being faulty. Has anyone got one of these bikes (that actually goes) so that I can try the ignition units in to confirm if they are OK? I'm based in Matamata so if you are in Christchurch that possibly wont help. Otherwise has anyone got a gem of wisdom that I have overlooked. Thanks, Snow

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Have you checked the pulse gen is working?

I have bits of one at my parents place still I think. Motor was running but the cam journals are fucked. So might be a plan B if you need some parts or checks.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I have a VT250 F2 H that I bought without an Ignition unit (CDI). I have tried 2 units in it and despite the second one being gauranteed to be good still have no spark. I have gone throught the entire ignition wiring and cannot find anything wrong. Everything points to the ignition unit being faulty. Has anyone got one of these bikes (that actually goes) so that I can try the ignition units in to confirm if they are OK? I'm based in Matamata so if you are in Christchurch that possibly wont help. Otherwise has anyone got a gem of wisdom that I have overlooked. Thanks, Snow
    seriously, another thread?
    how did you check the 'entire ignition wiring' with no cdi.
    What did the spark taste like?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I'd be looking at the kill switch. Honda being fucking dumb, their bikes will turn over with the kill switch off. Countless tales of people flattening battries because the kill switch isn't on.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'd be looking at the kill switch. Honda being fucking dumb, their bikes will turn over with the kill switch off. Countless tales of people flattening battries because the kill switch isn't on.
    I like Drew's suggestion considering it is acting dead. Does it have a side stand cut out? Is it out of gear? Does it have a fall sensor or anything like that which prevents the system staring?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    It's not a simple earthing issue or anything like that? You are testing the CDI in the actual bike, rather than just sitting on top of it or something like that (so there is no earth connection)?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Have you got the correct ignition unit? There are two different versions from memory and I don't think you can interchange them..

Bike
    a red heap
    How do you know its electrical? Mabye the timing is out, maybe your cam chain is broken, maybe the end of your crank has fallen off?

Have you checked you have 1.21 gigawatts at the flux capacitor?

Bike
    1976 Honda CB750

Thanks and no thanks

Thanks Bogan. I either need an ignition unit that definitely goes or a bike I can try my 2 in. I take it from what you said that yours is not a runner. Yes the pulse coils were checked. I have even fitted the ones that came from the same bike that the CDI came from and they put out 4v. (1 to 4v is spec)
    Akzle - comments like yours are as about as useful as an ashtray on a bike.
    Drew- yes checked that it was turned on and also checked that the switch actually worked. No side stand switch. Nuetral switch is working as well as the clutch switch. Have checked that the tacho is working and does not have a rev limiter in it that is faulty. Have checked both coils and they both work - I can get a spark from each when I earth them back at the CDI unit. Have checked all connections in the 2 plugs that connect the CDI. p.dath, that is where the CDI is earthed ie. throught the loom (and yes the loom has a good earth connection. Yes there is different units but I have the correct one. Its easy to tell as they have different wires and connections. nodrog-a good clue to it being electrical is that the sprk plugs don't spark!

Any other "ideas"?

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    How do you know its electrical? Mabye the timing is out, maybe your cam chain is broken, maybe the end of your crank has fallen off?

Have you checked you have 1.21 gigawatts at the flux capacitor?
    How the feck is he supposed to get to 88mph to check it ya silly head?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    That's fucked up.

I've got no ideas since you seem to have tried everything.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    My electricals were running about a year ago, but no, the rest is not.

How good are you with multimeter/electrical work? Got a wiring diagram? Attached is one I had lying around, the twin spark units ring a bell, but I'm pretty sure I went to a single CDI in aluminium sheet case when I swapped the engine out for a later model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fdwiringdiagram.pdf  
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    How the feck is he supposed to get to 88mph to check it ya silly head?
    Good point, anyway time travel causes parkinsons.

Is this piece of shit bike crank fired ignition?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Akzle - comments like yours are as about as useful as an ashtray on a bike.
    seems like you're new at this eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090623.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	303155  

Bike
    1976 Honda CB750
    Yeah pretty new to this! I take it you mean this forum. But as for bike electrics, yeah pretty new to that as well. But I think I have got it covered now. Down to this - does anyone have one of these (VT250F2H) that runs (that might be a big ask in itself) or know someone that does?

Thread Information