Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fzr vs gsxr

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    I think mossy used to race an FZR and had some decent onboard footage.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/user/ssmossy1200/videos

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/me...0206-mossy1200
    The only footage with the hot motor was Hampton downs. The rest is stock motor with a cracked sleeve prior to the 1040 kit and flat slides which added 25 odd hp.
    Don't forget I wasn't the best rider. A FZR1000w with money spent and same rider would be a faster bike on most tracks.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Then again a GSXR looks ok I guess.
    Its possible you could get one to handle also perhaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scratched 001 80.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	304160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scratched 004.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	304161  

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Thanks for your messages Mossy and the pics on here exactly what I was lookin for

Cheers for your time
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    FZR1000 waiting for a response to my offer they reckon off road for six years, clutch locked up??
    Went really well before?

mmmmm we shall see??
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Looks like the FZR is 145HP and 209 Kilo's the GSXR is 156hp and 221 Kilo's Factory
    Right which one and why???
    I raced a GSXR1100K in 90 and a FZR1000 Exup in 91.
    The GSXR1100L is a 90 model, but I'm quite sure that it was being sold in NZ in October/November 89, so the whole bike complete with forks should be eligible?

Yes, the FZR handled better, but I did not think there was that much in it. The GSXR is definitely more tuning friendly, more options (and parts available), and can better handle extra power motor wise.
    You already seem to have a pretty good handle on the pros and cons of each.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I raced a GSXR1100K in 90 and a FZR1000 Exup in 91.
    The GSXR1100L is a 90 model, but I'm quite sure that it was being sold in NZ in October/November 89, so the whole bike complete with forks should be eligible?

Yes, the FZR handled better, but I did not think there was that much in it. The GSXR is definitely more tuning friendly, more options (and parts available), and can better handle extra power motor wise.
    You already seem to have a pretty good handle on the pros and cons of each.
    Thanks for your input Sug

I'm going for handling at this stage

Even if the GSXR is issued 1989 upside down forks are specifically banned? I'd have to put 89 model forks in that one.
    Made an inquiry about the 1990 ZXR750 Paul Pav has on offer and he confirmed Via T/me it was legal because it was manufactured pre 1989 and he has confirmation from Kawasaki.
    I'm quite sure the 89/90 FZR1000 exup, twin headlight is legal because there where no changes to the model. And there are a few racing I think.
    And you are correct for a bike to be sold in 1990 would most definitely been manufactured Pre 1990 in 89.

History
    1987–1988: FZR 1000 "Genesis"
    1989–1990: FZR 1000 "Exup", major motor and chassis redesign, two round headlights
    1991–1993: FZR 1000 "Exup", USD forks fitted, one rectangular headlight
    1994–1995: FZR 1000 "Exup", Revised USD forks, uprated brakes, two "fox-eye" shaped
    headlights.

The Chassis number according to CarJam put this particular bike as an L. looking at Google this means 1990. Although with the history of the bikes clearly state Exup was a 89 issue model carried over to 90. I'm fairly confident I should be ok. Given you are allowed the use a 2000 1200 Bandit motor in a GSXR because it is the same as the 89 engine.
    I have just facebooked the prez of NZPCRA with pics and Vin number to make doubly sure.

Shit hope my offer is excepted wasted damn near a full work day on this.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    FZR1000W is the model you can race.
    I think the next model had a different oil filter system but rest was the same engine wise through to the thunderace.
    Don't waste time with genesis version if you want the best base.
    FZR1000W has 5.5 rear wheel and both 17inch and genesis 18inch rear
    W has a redesigned ally frame and swingarm
    Wisco 1040 and 1080 kits available
    Flatslide carbs available.
    Port polish and cam and yours ready to race.
    If you go total loss you will need drop both starter and alternator as they run from the same drive chain(something I didn't do) or replace the chain while working on the motor as they normaly stretch.
    Drop the exup and your in the 150hp area with all this work done as above.
    If you lose anything to a gsxr on a straight you will gain it in corner entry speed.

Bike
    Thanks all for your feedback Especially Mossy for his emails and a great volume of helpful information!

I am now the owner of a 1989 series FZR1000. Done all my checks, hassled damn near everyone I know at post classic ( thanks Malcy) and Rob Taylor (about suspension potential).
    Lucky I have been round the scene fringes for a while and could call the likes of Eddie Kattenburg etc (cheers mate).
    No doubt I'll be asking a thousand more questions LOL

Taking quite a punt?? She's not been goin for 6 years, frozen clutch and looks a little uncared for?? but hopefully it'll all work out in the wash???
    Its all there and a good base to start from.

Just got to get her up the Aucks From Welly

Thanks Again Mossy etc The journey starts now!

Bike
    GSXR1000K2, 89 GSXR1100K
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    I am now the owner of a 1989 series FZR1000.
    Well done for biting the bullet. Come and introduce yourself at the BSOC.
    How to make a small fortune out of motorcycle racing, start out with a BIG fortune

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries

how does 1990 fit in pre 89?

Buying a 1990 bike and changing a couple of things doesnt make it a 89 model.
    infact the rule was always meant to be PRE89 (just like the class name) so even using a 89 model is pushing the rules (but allowable)
    It really wont matter what bike you choose as they are very similar in performance but try to buy one that conforms to the spirit of the class.....
    No matter what you buy tho you will have a fantastic time.
    Welcome to the addiction

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    ...oh no...here we go...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    infact the rule was always meant to be PRE89 (just like the class name) so even using a 89 model is pushing the rules (but allowable)
    It really wont matter what bike you choose as they are very similar in performance but try to buy one that conforms to the spirit of the class.....
    No matter what you buy tho you will have a fantastic time.
    Welcome to the addiction
    yep what i thought but its a bit of minefield tbh? The Gsxr boyz are allowed to use later year/model engines. Because there where no changes to the engine? I Dont know if i can use the later Thundercat as there where no changes as i understand it but thats long way off.
    Quite Frankly i Doubt I'll ever compete at the front so its a non issue?
    But I was careful to get a bike with its chassis an engine numbers clearly manufactured issued in the 1989 model year to keep with the spirit of the class.

Update
    Found out on delivery hadnt been going for 10 years?
    She's in a million bits in the garage. But did get her running and no big knocks. Compressions came up 185 on 1~3 and 190 on 4. So hopefully the base is sound enough?
    Aside from that the list of wants and costs to build a race bike are mind boggling??
    Wont be on it this summer?

Bike
    KTM 950SM, '78 X7, FZ750, GN250
    FZR1000 is the one to go for, motor can be modded, and far better frame.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    ZX10 mill in ZXR 750 chassis..

Or,

GSX 11 mill in GSX-R 750 chassis..

Or,

FZR 10 mill in FZR 750 chassis..

Or TZR 250 with worked ( cheater) RZ 350 mill..

Thread Information