Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fzr vs gsxr

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker

Fzr vs gsxr

OK I've been here nearly 10 years so I know not to take notice of anything on KB but I'm asking anyway?

I wanna give this Bike racing thing a go before I get to fuckin old! Pit bitchen no more
    Fairly handy on a bike and done quite a few years in KARTS but I have no illusions on how race experience matters and that stopwatch never lies!
    Kawasaki man but they lost their way after they made my Z1R so thats screwed that Idea unless I go GPZ and pre82 but rare as rockin horse shit those.
    Budget is low and you can get into pre89 for much less and develop the bike over a couple years.

Right to the point: Pre89 class

Got two bikes in my radar, both std road bikes at this time. Both on 17's already but the GSXR has a 180 size rim fitted.

1990 GSXR1100L have to change the forks back to 1989 to fit the class as they are upside down. 62000K 7/11 it in the future

1989-90 FZR1000 Ex-up 55000k not quite sure what can/needs to be done to an FZR?

Looks like the FZR is 145HP and 209 Kilo's the GSXR is 156hp and 221 Kilo's Factory

Right which one and why???
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    What one is in better condition?

Any service records?

Does either have excessively worn brake rotors, smoking engine, funny noises etc?

Either one you choose, you will have fun, one might be 0.1 seconds a lap faster.... But is that really your goal just starting out racing? Go for the cheaper one that requires the least amount of maintenance and repairs to get it race ready.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    What colour do you like and which one is going to cost the least because it's going to not pop when it's had it's first big rev on an old motor....That last one will be very dependent upon the quality of the individual bike, not so much the model in question.

The next question is that while I can understand the concept of more power, if you have not raced before (and even if you have a lot of road experience), pick something which may be easier to ride / cheaper to run or get on the track.

The Senior classes get the focus a bit more, but the real racing is in the junior classes (pre 82 or pre 89). FZR600/CBR600 in say pre 89?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    GPZ 900 needing some lovin...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-792155164.htm

don't forget to factor in tyre warmers,wets, and a noisy as generator.

because it's going to not pop when it's had it's first big rev on an old motor.
    I thought only British bikes did that?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    OK I've been here nearly 10 years so I know not to take notice of anything on KB but I'm asking anyway?
    Well since you're not going to take any notice, why bother asking?
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    What one is in better condition?
    Any service records?
    Does either have excessively worn brake rotors, smoking engine, funny noises etc?
    Either one you choose, you will have fun, one might be 0.1 seconds a lap faster.... But is that really your goal just starting out racing? Go for the cheaper one that requires the least amount of maintenance and repairs to get it race ready.
    I'm expecting to have to do the engine anyway prob sooner rather than later the main reason I posted this thread was to get a base opinion mainly on the FZR?
    A lot of the things you ask become secondary in getting the base decision on which brand Ie which chassis would be best.
    I suppose its my karting background we would approach a new racing enterprise in a F1 fashion?
    Base decision which chassis ie if it where moto3 it'd be Suter or Kalex etc which is why I was asking for opinions on the question.
    I know there is a few very very good racers that hang out here form time to time who I don't know well enough (or at all) to call up

Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    What colour do you like and which one is going to cost the least because it's going to not pop when it's had it's first big rev on an old motor....That last one will be very dependent upon the quality of the individual bike, not so much the model in question.

The next question is that while I can understand the concept of more power, if you have not raced before (and even if you have a lot of road experience), pick something which may be easier to ride / cheaper to run or get on the track.

The Senior classes get the focus a bit more, but the real racing is in the junior classes (pre 82 or pre 89). FZR600/CBR600 in say pre 89?
    Thanks Malcy
    Just really wanting some input on the primary purchase hoping to maybe get an opinion on the FZR maybe from Glen or someone if they spot this thread.
    I'll be at Barry Sheene so might hunt him out and say Phil Duxbury on The GSXR and maybe Eddie Kattenburg about his FZR and get some inside

Good suggestion about the 600 but think i'll be ok on the thou?? Have Pit bitched for one of the top pre 82 racers for a number of years and karted for many years so familiar with an intense first corner and racing ethos etc. I know my level at a track day and at Superbike school. Just Wanna give the thou a go.
    Maybe I have a small dick and want a thou but it certainly wont take long to find out how big the balls are aye LMAO
    I guess I just want to know that whats under me if it was in the hands of Glen, Jay or Sean it could win.
    Same with my KTM first thing I did was spent $900 on the suspenders and made sure the engine was up to scratch from that point on every hill I don't make is all my fault.

I'm thinking the FZR will handle slightly better given the rep the GSXR's have with their frames??
    But the GXSR would make a good base for a 7/11, you can use a bandit motor in them, put a 750 head on, parts would be cheaper and more prevalent??

Been reading heaps about both models

At this stage my 2c is
    Gsxr more power less handling
    FZR better handling sweeter ride, less engine options etc.

I totally agree with you easier to ride theory so its the FZR at this time Bearing in mind its very early days and I've yet to see pics of the FZR, the GSXR is mint.
    Prices similar but the FZR is indicated as a few Hundy cheaper.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    GPZ 900 needing some lovin...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-792155164.htm

don't forget to factor in tyre warmers,wets, and a noisy as generator.

I thought only British bikes did that?
    Cheers for that seen that 900 going to spend extra couple grand get something better condition and 89ish
    That way if I do two laps and fall on my pride it'll be worth something to re-sell as a pre 89.

Yep prob have to add a starter to that list, although I might make one of those or teach the missus to push hard enough to crash start me LOL

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    For what its worth, I used to race and track day a bit of historic cars back in the day. Biggest thing I would say is get the machine that is easiest to get parts for. Nothing worse than missing meetings waiting for bits. Interweb makes that easier these days but still applies.

Suspenders will be the big spend I guess but worth it.

Bike
    I think mossy used to race an FZR and had some decent onboard footage.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/user/ssmossy1200/videos

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/me...0206-mossy1200

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    For what its worth, I used to race and track day a bit of historic cars back in the day. Biggest thing I would say is get the machine that is easiest to get parts for. Nothing worse than missing meetings waiting for bits. Interweb makes that easier these days but still applies.

Suspenders will be the big spend I guess but worth it.
    True I did a Center drive shaft bearing on a track day in the M3 (prob hammered it to much in Targa) although I was there with Europeon Auto spares nothing else from any other BMer fits the E36, its a bitch watching? Although my Kart very seldom failed.

What you say about parts I have considered and pushes me towards the GSXR but your suspenders question makes me consider the FZR as my biggest learning curve will not be how to twist the throttle down the straight it will be feeling the bike in the corners and learning how to change the suspension to get the best out of the bike (and fear of coarse LMAO)? Its that experiance, that is my biggest hurdle.
    I looked at 41's GSXR 7/11 back tyre at the ART day it was freckin perfect. Right temperature, perfectly even heat around the tyre, that shit takes years? LOL

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    True I did a Center drive shaft bearing on a track day in the M3 (prob hammered it to much in Targa) although I was there with Europeon Auto spares nothing else from any other BMer fits the E36, its a bitch watching? Although my Kart very seldom failed.

What you say about parts I have considered and pushes me towards the GSXR but your suspenders question makes me consider the FZR as my biggest learning curve will not be how to twist the throttle down the straight it will be feeling the bike in the corners and learning how to change the suspension to get the best out of the bike (and fear of coarse LMAO)? Its that experiance, that is my biggest hurdle.
    I looked at 41's GSXR 7/11 back tyre at the ART day it was freckin perfect. Right temperature, perfectly even heat around the tyre, that shit takes years? LOL
    I would make a call to Robert Taylor to ask which bike has the best potential suspension package and see what he would charge to make it right for you. Could save a lot of heartache later on.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I would make a call to Robert Taylor to ask which bike has the best potential suspension package and see what he would charge to make it right for you. Could save a lot of heartache later on.

Actually thats a very good Idea!
    Last thing I bought of Rob was my New 250 engine back when he was working for Yamaha and doing Gearbox Kart motors.
    He is actually a wizz with 2 strokes, well back then.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    I think mossy used to race an FZR and had some decent onboard footage.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/user/ssmossy1200/videos

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/me...0206-mossy1200
    Thanks Ender
    I'll drop him a line. Good vid to looks like he needed a tooth or two less in the back over the hill but the bike sounded sweet and smooth

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Actually thats a very good Idea!
    Last thing I bought of Rob was my New 250 engine back when he was working for Yamaha and doing Gearbox Kart motors.
    He is actually a wizz with 2 strokes, well back then.
    Just linked you to a bike that just poped up on FB. Not sure if old enough but very tidy. Worth a look?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Cheers for that seen that 900 going to spend extra couple grand get something better condition and 89ish
    That way if I do two laps and fall on my pride it'll be worth something to re-sell as a pre 89.

Yep prob have to add a starter to that list, although I might make one of those or teach the missus to push hard enough to crash start me LOL
    I kept the starter motor and bought a Lithium battery , whole lot weighs about 3kgs,
    1st corner is fine for me as I'm waaaaay down the grid
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information