Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery not charging properly

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250r

Cog Battery not charging properly

hey guys, first post; I have a carb 2006 hyosung GT250r

For the past few months the battery has not been charging enough, I originally thought I had bought a faulty battery but after testing the charging voltage i realised i had both a shitty battery as well as a charging problem.
    I now need to top it up about once a week with a charger to make sure it starts consistently. I have just replaced the Regulator/rectifier and the stator coils

Before replacing the stator I was getting about 50 to 53 volts across each of the three stator wires (my service manual says I should be getting between 67 and 99 volts AC at 5000rpm - the manual also calls the stator the magneto?)
    the new stator is now giving me about 60 to 63 volts AC
    i dont understand how it is physically possible for the stator to not be putting out the right voltage??

my battery is a bit cheap and shitty but if the voltage across the terminals is 12v DC when not running which jumps up to about 12.5/12.6 when running.
    I am still finding that the battery isnt holding its charge

what else could be wrong???? im stumped...

I ride it every day for about 40 mins total, its not just sitting for long periods of time.

also wondering if i automatically void the warranty on my battery if I do not charge it before use as that is what the guy that sold me the battery said.

thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Use an AMP meter and check the current draw from the battery when the bike is not running (ignition off). Also check the current draw when the bike is running and check to see if it's using more power than the bike can support (other electrical items added from stock?).

Assuming you make the measurements correctly, the lower voltage reading can be symptomatic of an excessive current draw causing the voltage drop your seeing.

12.5v when the bikes running at 5000 rpm is too low so a bad regulator possibly assuming your not over taxing the electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by thallwright View Post
    hey guys, first post; I have a carb 2006 hyosung GT250r

For the past few months the battery has not been charging enough, I originally thought I had bought a faulty battery but after testing the charging voltage i realised i had both a shitty battery as well as a charging problem.
    I now need to top it up about once a week with a charger to make sure it starts consistently. I have just replaced the Regulator/rectifier and the stator coils

Before replacing the stator I was getting about 50 to 53 volts across each of the three stator wires (my service manual says I should be getting between 67 and 99 volts AC at 5000rpm - the manual also calls the stator the magneto?)
    the new stator is now giving me about 60 to 63 volts AC
    i dont understand how it is physically possible for the stator to not be putting out the right voltage??

my battery is a bit cheap and shitty but if the voltage across the terminals is 12v DC when not running which jumps up to about 12.5/12.6 when running.

what else could be wrong???? im stumped...

I ride it every day for about 40 mins total, its not just sitting for long periods of time.

also wondering if i automatically void the warranty on my battery if I do not charge it before use as that is what the guy that sold me the battery said.

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    When the bike is running you should be getting between 13.8V and 15.0V

Bike
    2000 Honda CB600f Hornet
    Some sound advice here. 12.5 volts with the engine running will at best only be maintaining battey voltage, so after a few start the battery will be too low and in need of a charge.

Typically i see this alot with either a faulty reg rec, one or more phases of the stator/generator windings not performing or poor connections between the power and ground coming from the reg rec to the battery.

If you can, disconnect just the red and black wires coming out of the reg rec (not the 3 wires from the windings) and run them direct to the battery (correct polarity obviousley) and then perform the same voltage check across the battery when running. If you get a better voltage reading you most likley have a wiring/connection issue.

Alternativley if you are local to Christchurch i can come out and perform a whole series of tests on the entire system which will tell us exactly where the problem lies.

Check out my website for contact details:

www.ollymoto.co.nz

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    When running .. ?? ... as in idling ... or with a few rev's on .. ??

Not holding a charge suggests battery issues. How old is the battery .. ???

what else could be wrong???? im stumped ...
    Heaps of things ... try the simple fix's first ...

A bad battery ... charging a little low ... and not running for long (with your LIGHTS on .. right .. ??) won't help much ...

Cheap battery's seldom have warranty's longer than 12 months ... how OLD is yours ... and do you still have the receipt for it you got ... at the time of purchase .. ???

no worries ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    https://www.electrosport.com/media/p...ng-diagram.pdf

Go through that fault finding diagram, it is good at ensuring you test each part under the right conditions.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki ZXR250A
    It seems that the output from your stator as well as at the battery terminal are low.

Please be aware that the battery is rated at 12v, however, 12-12.6v would be acceptable when the bike is at stationary. You shall get at least 13.5V, but no more than 15V when charging.

So clearly as you described, you have a problem of both charging system and battery. May I raise a couple questions to you?

- When the battery was new, do you have to add acid in?
    - No matter how higher rev that you are running at, the charging voltage from the terminal was not exceeding 13v, is that right?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250r
    Hi all, thanks for the help
    i have basically concluded that it is the battery which was at fault in the first place, that fault finding diagram made it much clearer
    https://www.electrosport.com/media/p...ng-diagram.pdf

I also started the bike and disconnected the battery while it was running and noticed that voltage rose with revs across the terminals that connect to the battery, but when the battery was connected, when the engine was revved the voltage would drop so the battery was preventing itself from being charged?

have tried taking it back to the shop and they are basically saying since I didnt charge the battery before I installed it in my bike (despite them not telling me to but apparently the instruction booklet said to) i have voided my warranty. I tested the battery before installing it to compare it to the old battery and it was above 14v
    i had never heard of charging a brand new battery before i had to use it...?

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST ISSUE I HAVE HAD WITH THE MOTORCYCLE GEAR STORE IN WESTGATE, will no longer be using this store (they also have a website) - very poor product knowledge and shocking customer service
    the guy obviously had no idea about batteries but sold me one anyway, I am now much the wiser

he says he will send the battery back to the distributor before considering swapping or refunding the battery

anyone have any suggestions regarding this??
    thanks

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    have tried taking it back to the shop and they are basically saying since I didnt charge the battery before I installed it in my bike (despite them not telling me to but apparently the instruction booklet said to) i have voided my warranty. I tested the battery before installing it to compare it to the old battery and it was above 14v
    i had never heard of charging a brand new battery before i had to use it...?
    Did you read the instruction booklet ... ??? They don't print them for laughs ..

If the answer is NO ... the void warranty stands.

If the answer is yes (but didn't charge the battery) The void warranty stands.

If you want to sponge off their good will .... be polite. Otherwise they just say ..

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Never disconnect your battery while bike is running. You run the risk of excess voltage on the electrics in the bike. Your battery is like a filter protecting your bike.

Did they give you the battery with acid in it or was it a sealed battery?
    If you needed add acid then you should have read the instructions.
    If the shop gave you an item that was physically ready to install they should point out any special installation instructions especially if they added acid for you.
    Personally idd say if it was standard battery charged enough to start the bike and your charging system is ok I cant see the issue(note that could be bad advice).
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    ... Personally idd say if it was standard battery charged enough to start the bike and your charging system is ok I cant see the issue(note that could be bad advice).
    He did state in the first post ... "my battery is a bit cheap and shitty" (translation ... if it can go wrong, it probably will) ... you get what you pay for.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    He did state in the first post ... "my battery is a bit cheap and shitty" (translation ... if it can go wrong, it probably will) ... you get what you pay for.
    he also said
    I have a carb 2006 hyosung GT250r
    so you're correct twice at once...
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    cheap and shitty...if it can go wrong, it probably will) ... you get what you pay for.

Bike
    Kawasaki KZ1000
    take the terminal from the batt and connect it with a jumper cables to a car batt ,now check the charging so you can eliminate the batt.
    if still not good give me txt to my privet massages i have more ideas.

so you're correct twice at once...[/QUOTE]

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avi View Post
    if still not good give me txt to my privet massages i have more ideas.
    i'm interested in exactly what a privet massage is...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i'm interested in exactly what a privet massage is...
    Have you not had your privet massaged before ...

Here was I thinking ... you were knowledgeable/experienced ... on such things ...

Thread Information