Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northland roads - best riding in the North Island, maybe all NZ?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    well, thank fuck im just south of proper up north...
    Ok, so you have different musical tastes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Ok, so you have different musical tastes.
    banjo... Taste...
    Ha.ha.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Exactly. And follow that up with a side trip to Hunua and up to Clevedon and Whitford.
    So. If I was coming up from Te Tron to ride around the Hunua area, who can suggest an interesting route for me to follow?
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    So. If I was coming up from Te Tron to ride around the Hunua area, who can suggest an interesting route for me to follow?
    "around" the hunuas?

gtfo to ngatea ways - stop at the gardens and blaze a doobie.
    up/east to lemonand. out of town on the main road, take the first or second on the right, you now have ~8km of straight (+cow shit) to wind out your bike.

left at the flats (hauraki plains/main road akl-thames)
    right at miranda turn off just after mangatangi? bridge

past the pools (and bird sanctuary)
    either - up the coast road to kawakawa ways - watch out for brown 17 year olds in subarus who think they can drive.
    or - turn inland (left) at ??? which pokes you under the hunuas, you can carry straight ahead to papakura or turn right/north again for some fun roads to actual hunua town.

if you go through papakura, find the old motorway and take it north (great south road?) until manurewa or takanini or some shit. right left right left and you're in behind the manukau gardens (looks like shit since they've put aucklanders there), nose your way to point view drive and blat that (at a sedate 80km/h) turn right at the top out to whitford-maraetai-clevedon ways. stop at pub in clevedon (turn left for kawakawa road to find pub)

Bike
    TF125
    Te Kauwhata, around the lake to the Red Fox Tavern in Maramarua
    Monument Road, right into Findlay Road (thank me later)
    Down to Miranda, carry on to Kaiaua
    Turn left at the Kaiaua gas station, fang it up to Mangatangi & come out onto old SH2 by the castle
    Turn right into Lyons Rd, left into Paparimu Road
    Through Hunua village, Sky High Road then (the other) Monument Road
    Turn around & do Monument Road again uphill
    Down to Clevedon, stop in for a doobie
    Around the Kawakawa Bay coast road back to Kaiaua

Bike
    Mine
    This is what I would do: https://goo.gl/maps/shBlM. Follow the same route back to Hamilton from Bombay (Google's stupid new map editor has limited the number of way points).

With the options of 1. Twighlight Rd. from Clevedon to Brookby and back (worth the side trip) and 2. SH1 from Bombay if you're desparate to get home.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    This is what I would do: https://goo.gl/maps/shBlM. .
    This was a great ride this morning swb - thanks for the suggestion.

Due to limited time and fuel allocations, I didn't do the SH22 bit - just poked up the main drag. But then I've been up and down 22 plenty of times. I did go to the west bank of the river from Rangiriri south.

Best little gem of the ride? Findlay Road. Especially the first really tight corner that I was not really expecting...

Been 50 + years since I was up that coast. Not a lot of change - I'd forgotten how tight it is between Orere Point and Kawakawa Bay though.

Nice ride.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    ...Monument Road, right into Findlay Road (thank me later)
    Best little gem of the ride? Findlay Road. Especially the first really tight corner that I was not really expecting...
    You're welcome.

Bike
    Mine
    This was a great ride this morning swb - thanks for the suggestion.
    Very happy to be of assistance.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    You're welcome.
    Tip of the hat to that man...

Thread Information