Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xv1000 turbo chopper

Bike
    2013 Harley custom

xv1000 turbo chopper

I thought I aswell start a build thread for all those interested since there isnt much detail on the few turbo'd xv's around.

The base: an unknown k's xv1000 motor, custom frame, springer hybrid forks, fat tyres and big brakes..

the goal: 100hp & 100ft/lb of wheel lifting torque in a machine that refuses to be ignored

the plan: intercooled water meth injected turbo..monster paintjob

How: start by making up a turbo manifold, sch40 1 1/2 elbows should do nicely ( a little heavy, but easy to get hold.of, easy to work with!) Turbo ends up sitting top middle left with an inlet flange around Level to the top cooling fin of forward cylinder, awesome! Noones gonna miss that sucker. Next mount a gt15 turbo, air inlet faces the left, outlet points farward, exhaust exits right over a stromberg 150..

Modifyling the oil filter cover for an remote moundes spinon filter, cooler and oil feed is as easy as removing it, bore.out the centre, press in an alloy plug to block the return hole, drill it out and at the same time drill through the front into the outlet to feed back to the crank, weld on your fitting and install.

return the oil from the turbo through a -10 line into the oil fill. Easy

fueling requires a pump capable of delivering 3psi above your desired boost level, bypass regulator, pitot tube and return line, ofcorse a suitable modified carb...

more to come concerning cooling and tuning!

pictures to follow..hopefully..

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    You talking of heavy wall plumbling pipe? Why do use 1.6 mm wall exhaust pipe? You can purchase prebend angles and cut/weld to suit.

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Yeap, weld elbows, steampipe bends whatever you like to call them, I already had a few floating around.. plus theyre strong, so no worries with heat distortion when things warm up, no rattles and dirt cheap (entire manifold was less than $40 in material for bends, straight, flanges and collars) I've never been a fan of thin wall tubing for turbo manifolds... got it stuck in my head it wont hold up and sound tinny.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi

Any updates on this?
    An FCR39 or two would work pretty sweet on that, they're pretty easy to obtain and have decent float needles
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Everything is starting yo arrivr, manifold is mostly made, turbo is positioned starting to run lines et.

ohh they look nice, pricey though!

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Update;

fuel supply is all figured
    Pwm module running a bosch 044 through a modified aeromotive a1000-6 regulator, 4psi base pressure Into the float bowl..

perhaps a little overkill but its what I had handy

Bike
    2013 Harley custom

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Everything is starting yo arrivr, manifold is mostly made, turbo is positioned starting to run lines et.

ohh they look nice, pricey though!
    Have you considered the CHAIN DRIVE option ... ???

This guy was racing at Greymouth with some degree of success ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me 015.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	791.8 KB 
ID:	305361  
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Sorry? It is chain driven...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    lol an 044 pump with pwm to reduce pressure is hugely overkill, I like! What's it cost to do a set up like that? I never even considered doing that, makes sense because an 044 is a cheap pump and very reliable
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Sorry? It is chain driven...

...some CUNTS think they know it ALL...

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    lol an 044 pump with pwm to reduce pressure is hugely overkill, I like! What's it cost to do a set up like that? I never even considered doing that, makes sense because an 044 is a cheap pump and very reliable
    Can get some pretty cheap pwm units thatll do 30amp out of china now, youd get change out of a 20 plus the cost of pump, regulator and relays.. id say $350 and youd be away laughing.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Is that a aliexpress turbo? Sweet project.
    Since your only runing 4psi you might find you won't need intercooler. Being that its a aircooled motor its probably a good idea to have one though.

I have a Genuine AEM Alcohol/Meth injection setup still in the box that I might part with if you wanted it.

Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Is that a aliexpress turbo? Sweet project.
    Since your only runing 4psi you might find you won't need intercooler. Being that its a aircooled motor its probably a good idea to have one though.

I have a Genuine AEM Alcohol/Meth injection setup still in the box that I might part with if you wanted it.
    Its an ebay no namer so most likely a chinas finest..for thr most part a good majprity of the parts are chinese to keep cost down and just see what they're capable of..
    might end up being as high as 14pound, see how much power Itll pump before knockin, the water meth setup ive got for now is pretty simple (100psi mini pump, couple of misting nozzles and and.on/off pressure switch) so could be keen!

Bike
    motocompo
    The thing that kills Chinese turbos is the machining swarf left in the centre housing at manufacture.
    Flushing it out before use would be good insurance.

Thread Information