Page 108 of 125 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1867

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    last time it was pissing down and very dark

I was riding with another rider who had no GPS and very poor lighting

when it got to a place where he could make it (only 3 turns left) I picked up the pace a little bit and left him behind

I was torn between staying with him and missing out on time etc and picking up the speed only just a tad.

Was very relieved I made it and more so when he turned up and squeeked within time.

no pies
    My experience last time was very similar to yours. I met a couple of riders at a checkpoint with no GPS and no cell phone signal for their maps app and said they could tag along with me.

One was on a bike with a 12 litre tank, if I remember correctly, so I ended up stopping a lot more often than I needed to. They were also fairly cautious riders, even by my standards, so I ended up doing quite a bit of waiting at some checkpoints while they caught up.

I also lost them somewhere after Te Kuiti as I thought they were in my mirrors, but it turned out (I think) to be a couple of riders from the 1600 ride catching up with me. I pulled over on the side of the road and waited for around 10 minutes for them to catch up. Luckily they hadn't taken a wrong turn somewhere or they would have been seriously lost.

At the last checkpoint I said my goodbyes and gave them verbal directions back to Turangi and then seriously picked up the pace. In the end, I made it back with one minute to spare. My last 100 km in the pissing rain was probably my quickest of the whole day.

It was still a great day of riding though. Despite my comments above it definitely added to the whole experience - I thoroughly enjoyed the last few hours riding against the clock trying to get back within the 12 hour time limit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Thank you for correcting me ...
    Damn decent of you.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    cornering thats where I lose so much time.
    Yes it does for me too.

Bump up the speed a bit on the straights ... 105-110 km/hr depending on traffic volume.

Any more and plod will notice if they are about. In Otago ... they shake their finger (or fist ??) .. Hard to tell at over 120 km/hr
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    My experience last time was very similar to yours. I met a couple of riders at a checkpoint with no GPS and no cell phone signal for their maps app and said they could tag along with me.

One was on a bike with a 12 litre tank if I remember correctly so I ended up stopping a lot more often.

I also lost them somewhere after Te Kuiti as I thought they were in my mirrors, but it turned out (I think) to be a couple of riders from the 1600 ride catching up with me. In the end, I made it back with one minute to spare. My last 100 km in the pissing rain was probably my quickest of the whole day.

On one 1000 mile ride ... I found myself in Springs junction around midnight. I gassed up and braced myself for the Lewis pass ... in pitch darkness and a 30 watt headlight bulb. Another entrant stopped (CX500 turbo) I explained my light issue to him. He just said follow my tail light.

I did.

I don't remember much about the road ... or what speed I was going ... I just followed that dam tail light.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post

One was on a bike with a 12 litre tank if I remember correctly so I ended up stopping a lot more often than I needed to. They were also fairly cautious riders, even by my standards, so I ended up doing quite a bit of waiting at some checkpoints while I caught up.

I also lost them somewhere after Te Kuiti as I thought they were in my mirrors, but it turned out (I think) to be a couple of riders from the 1600 ride catching up with me.

At the last checkpoint I gave them verbal directions back to Turangi and then seriously picked up the pace. In the end, I made it back with one minute to spare. My last 100 km in the pissing rain was probably my quickest of the whole day. It was still a great day of riding though. I thoroughly enjoyed the last few hours riding against the clock.

You might have been with the guys who were waiting at the cross roads when we past through, they were waiting for one of their group - missing....

watching the time and distance counting down - had no idea if I was going to make it.

Banditbandit was there hurrying us inside.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I ride my own ride, I learnt that by myself.

have a good ride

Havelock North the weather has always been nice when I have been there.
    Great ride. 320km all up. Most of it on premo back country roads. Caught up with both bros, a nephew and Dad. My brother, Micheal. has fitted a side car to Dads R80 and modifying it so Dad, who lost a leg because of diabetes. can ride it. It'll be good to see Dad riding again. I had the R80 for 10 years but I did not like it at all. But it kept it in the family. Anyway a great day all round.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0103.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	612.2 KB 
ID:	347301  

Bike
    BSA A10
    So when you were munching on a luke warm pie at a gas station ... you were still averaging 88 km/hr.

Do the sums on the average you would need to get home 10 hours early.

Talk about WOW ...
    My maths was wrong as well 82 kmh average, I think I ate twice, most times just gas and go, I was trying to sit on 110-120 as much as possible, there were people a lot faster than me

One guy on an F1 Ducati was towed the last 150kmh behind an 1100 Katana just to finish, I'd upped my speed to 140kmh for that stretch, I passed them but they arrived within 10 minutes of me
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    One guy on an F1 Ducati was towed the last 150kmh behind an 1100 Katana just to finish, I'd upped my speed to 140kmh for that stretch, I passed them but they arrived within 10 minutes of me
    I towed a 750 honda (With a broken chain) through the Lewis to springs junction. I had a GS1000s. Ground the broken link off in a garage workshop there (It was a weekend so no workshop staff on duty). Replaced the chain with the existing joining link and he was on his way.

Two hours of work and hassle ... and not even a thank you.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    I towed a 750 honda (With a broken chain) through the Lewis to springs junction. I had a GS1000s. Ground the broken link off in a garage workshop there (It was a weekend so no workshop staff on duty). Replaced the chain with the existing joining link and he was on his way.

Two hours of work and hassle ... and not even a thank you.

...and?...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...and?...
    he wanted to be on the KB christmas card list....

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    he wanted to be on the KB christmas card list....
    No ... the honda riders Club Christmas car list. But that was before I learned they were all gay.

Bastards ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    No ... the honda riders Club Christmas car list. But that was before I learned they were all gay.

Bastards ...
    Honda m/c riders club has a car list?

Interesting.

Bike
    Quiet plodder

Bastards ...

You never know who is a Honda rider.....

they can certainly build good motorcycles and lots of them.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

Interesting.
    You didn't know that ... amazing ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

Interesting.

Christmas CAR list - with a red Cherry on the top
    they also have get out of jail free cards - who knew

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information