Page 110 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 1867

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Ive done a handfull of the 1000km Longest day rides in varying weather conditions with riders i know well and enjoyed most of them, my first one i did i was not prepared well at all and it was a loooong horrible day / evening learnt lots about prep that day. The furthest so far was 1220kms a couple years back that was a tough day , 11 or so hours of mostly cold rain and a only a few hours sunny dry conditions (Cheers Nelson) .

But it is always good to catch up with the other riders at the finish and see what route they had done and how their day was.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Tales over a beer will explain all the tactics needed for that pace. The overall average speed, including all stops, was 120km/h. Once only at that pace!
    Pete is still laughing at that pace set ... it was never beaten or equaled anywhere on an organized run (that I'm aware of).

Was that the weekend I was on the Checkpoint at Haast village .. ?? I recall you arriving and asking how many were already past. My answer was none.

I saw your face light up (understatement) ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Was that the weekend I was on the Checkpoint at Haast village .. ?? I recall you arriving and asking how many were already past. My answer was none.

I saw your face light up (understatement) ...
    No, Trev, Haast was a different year. This was 2005, with the course roughly to Balclutha, Catlins, Tuatapere, Mossburn, Q'town, Alex, Dunedin, Waimate, Geraldine, Tekapo, Cromwell, and so to Chatto Creek.

Pete did look rather surprised when we arrived so early... He had a quiet word to me afterwards, about the pace.

For a number of reasons it seemed just to flow, and seemed quite safe, that time, but that was 15 years ago and attitudes to speeding and traffic density have changed since then. Fond memories, though.

The attached photo of the progress board is not to be taken as evidence of any wrong doing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6231.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	851.8 KB 
ID:	347314  

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    No, Trev, Haast was a different year. This was 2005, with the course roughly to Balclutha, Catlins, Tuatapere, Mossburn, Q'town, Alex, Dunedin, Waimate, Geraldine, Tekapo, Cromwell, and so to Chatto Creek.

Pete did look rather surprised when we arrived so early... He had a quiet word to me afterwards, about the pace.

For a number of reasons it seemed just to flow, and seemed quite safe, that time, but that was 15 years ago and attitudes to speeding and traffic density have changed since then. Fond memories, though.

The attached photo of the progress board is not to be taken as evidence of any wrong doing...
    Yes that was a dam good ride. The weather held for the most pat ... which made it easier for me. I even managed a few hours sleep in Waimate.

Pete was always worried about attracting unwanted attention from Plod. That (as far as I know) did not eventuate. The abilities of those involved however ... DID impress him.

Once I found myself attached to the tail end of a group of six going down the lower Buller gorge about 1am ... straight into a full moon. Bright enough (almost) to not need lights. The snaking tail lights at speed was epic. And as you say ... fondly remembered.

Yes ... I think those time boards always made interesting reading. I think THAT particular board STILL exists. You'll have to ask Pete about that though. His number hasn't changed ... and I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Funnily enough, the two (ahem) firsts that I managed were both on bikes that were not particularly fast as such (Honda Varadero 1000 and Aprilia CapoNord 1000) but they were easy to ride briskly for long periods, in reasonable comfort. Barry Dick once told me, in the earlier days when he was on his Kwaka thou, that his theory was that if you finished quickly, then you didn't have time to get tired. He certainly was capable of that.

Fuel strategy always plays its part, by getting the most from a tank, and on the Varadero it was just possible to eke 400km. My planned refuel in Alex (this was the year of the figure-of-eight course) was at 401km. The bike stopped on the bridge over the Clutha, with the petrol station practically in sight. Luckily, I had a 4-litre tin, just in case...

Good times!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Fuel strategy always plays its part, by getting the most from a tank, and on the Varadero it was just possible to eke 400km. My planned refuel in Alex (this was the year of the figure-of-eight course) was at 401km. The bike stopped on the bridge over the Clutha, with the petrol station practically in sight. Luckily, I had a 4-litre tin, just in case...

Good times!
    I always had a container of fuel on board. A few times I've actually given it to another rider. It tends to get a bit lonely if you have to watch the fuel gauge. I had the fuel light come on at Wedderburn on the way home one time. I coasted down Tiger Hill to get me a few hundred meters more than I might have had fuel for. I had to borrow some to get home to Alexandra later.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough, the two (ahem) firsts that I managed were both on bikes that were not particularly fast as such (Honda Varadero 1000 and Aprilia CapoNord 1000) but they were easy to ride briskly for long periods, in reasonable comfort. Barry Dick once told me, in the earlier days when he was on his Kwaka thou, that his theory was that if you finished quickly, then you didn't have time to get tired. He certainly was capable of that.

Good times!
    As I recall ... you could count the number of times you rode your OWN bike on those runs on your left hand. And still have a few fingers leftover.

The bike reviews you wrote were always very popular. And very well written.

Well done.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    As I recall ... you could count the number of times you rode your OWN bike on those runs on your left hand. And still have a few fingers leftover.

The bike reviews you wrote were always very popular. And very well written.

Well done.
    One hand, missing three fingers... It was two! Once on my ST1100 and once on my R1200GSA. Thanks to Eric Wood Motorcycles, Rodney Faulkner (Canterbury Rides), and Blue Wing Honda, there were also bikes from H-D, Aprilia x 2, Moto Guzzi x 2, Honda, and BMW x 2. Each good in its own way, but none that I'd necessarily wish to own. Except maybe the Aprilia Futura - that was an absolute joy.

Looking back, there were only two bikes from Japan, which doesn't reflect what you see on the road. No breakdowns, no tickets, no punctures.

Thanks for the kind remarks regarding the Kiwi Rider articles.

On second thoughts, it was twice on my ST1100...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    When are the new speeding fines coming in. Was being discussed elsewhere but I can’t find any news to confirm except about when the current review started.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    When are the new speeding fines coming in. Was being discussed elsewhere but I can’t find any news to confirm except about when the current review started.
    On speeding if not actually on fines. Coupla random thoughts. Currently you are walking if caught 40KPH over the limit. Don't forget the roadworks, you can lose your licence at about 75kph, 30 + 40 and a bit. So presumably in all these ever increasing 80kph areas 120kph will be the threshold of walking speed.

A related thought. In the areas that were reduced to 80kph locally, the passing lanes were removed. The gospel according to Waka Kotahi apparently says you cannot have passing lanes in 80kph areas. Interesting if the whole country is going 80kph.

I recall a former National chief traffic officer saying on TV that he couldn't understand why we were having so many head on accidents at the time. I could have assisted him with that. It was that the Police obsession with speed had created a situation where everybody (well almost everybody) was trying overtakes at 105kph. It seems we might be headed back to the future.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I recall a former National chief traffic officer saying on TV that he couldn't understand why we were having so many head on accidents at the time. I could have assisted him with that. It was that the Police obsession with speed had created a situation where everybody (well almost everybody) was trying overtakes at 105kph. It seems we might be headed back to the future.
    That's the scary part... No idea how on earth their very own policies have an impact that they'd never thought of
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    On speeding if not actually on fines. Coupla random thoughts. Currently you are walking if caught 40KPH over the limit. Don't forget the roadworks, you can lose your licence at about 75kph, 30 + 40 and a bit. So presumably in all these ever increasing 80kph areas 120kph will be the threshold of walking speed.
    Sorry for being a pedant.

A walk happens at any speed in excess of 40 kmh over a permanent speed limit. Like, 50 kmh in town, 40 kmh in town etc.

A walk happens at any speed in excess of 50 kmh over a temporary speed limit, e.g. road works.

Just a fine point, but worth knowing.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    That's the scary part... No idea how on earth their very own policies have an impact that they'd never thought of
    That's what happened when they decided to stop chasing stolen cars driven by young offenders. It was in response to young people getting killed in chases, and the public backlash that resulted.

The now apparent unintended consequence is that it has led to the rash of ram raids currently on the go, as the young offenders realise they are unlikely to get chased and caught.

It's the law.....................of unintended consequences.

Bike
    It was on the good
    A related thought. In the areas that were reduced to 80kph locally, the passing lanes were removed. The gospel according to Waka Kotahi apparently says you cannot have passing lanes in 80kph areas. Interesting if the whole country is going 80kph.
    There is nothing that says you can't have a passing lane in an 80km/h area but there is some odd assumption that everybody will be complying with the lower speed limit and thus there will be no need for them. I love that level of fundamentalism. Have you seen the speeds in 50km/h passing lanes, like Timaru, Oamaru and Balclutha?

Funny how WK are quietly backing off implementing 80km/h on their roads in a number of areas. Who would have thought there would be a lack of support?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    It was very interesting driving, as opposed to riding, up to Warkworth from Auckland recently. For those of you who never venture north of the Bombays, it is the most pointless 80 limit in NZ, as the traffic is so heavy that it's usually impossible to go any faster.

Anyway, almost no one uses the passing lanes, even when the traffic is doing less than 80. I'm not quite sure why, perhaps because of the limit, or because the traffic flows better if you don't have 2 lanes trying to merge at the end of the passing lane.

Sometime next year it will become a much quieter back road when the motorway opens, and incredibly boring to drive at 80.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information