Page 77 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1867

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    I can't believe I am about to this.... but here goes. Was I the only one who heard (on radio) that the "101 is speeding and you will be stopped" was not gonna happen and that the police had reverted back to 104? I put it down to the issues convincing a judge that the driver was doing 100.5 and not 100.4 where rounding up or down (Swedish Ronding) would happen to decide if it was spot on 100 or 1k over at 101. But that was only my assumption.

So as much as I hate all this (see my earlier posts in this thread) I will defend the police re the "nothing has changed" and it was always 104kph.
    I was told by a cop on the road after that radio message that "no tolerance" was very much still on.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    20+ years at the freezing works plus one or two other jobs over the years certainly gave me an understanding of human nature, when I left there I had no expectations that people outside the works were any different.

And KB again proves that people are the same everywhere.

One common theme: When you're a cop people think you've been one from the time you left school.... and if one or two cops blot their copy, say something the non-cops don't agree with or similar? - then the rest of them must be just the same.

THAT is an aspect of human nature. ces't la vie
    And yet you (the police in general that is) still expect to get the road toll town to unrealistic levels. A zero road toll is a pipe-dream.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    I can't believe I am about to this.... but here goes. Was I the only one who heard (on radio) that the "101 is speeding and you will be stopped" was not gonna happen and that the police had reverted back to 104? I put it down to the issues convincing a judge that the driver was doing 100.5 and not 100.4 where rounding up or down (Swedish Ronding) would happen to decide if it was spot on 100 or 1k over at 101. But that was only my assumption.

So as much as I hate all this (see my earlier posts in this thread) I will defend the police re the "nothing has changed" and it was always 104kph.

They said on a 5 minute segment on the news, the zero tolerance was not being adhered to, and in a couple of radio interviews.... So the majority of drivers, who don't watch the news or don't listen to talkback radio, were none the wiser, the advertising kept up with the speeding is a crime, 101km/h is speeding blah blah blah etc. I read the herald, I look on stuff, I didn't find an article about their policy retraction. I listen to several different radio stations, none of which have ever said a message from the police saying they retracted their policy. I watch tv, again most channels, never once saw mention of police not adhering to zero tolerance.

How would the commerce commission take this case if, instead of the police, it was briscoes. Briscoes advertise for a couple of weeks "Huge sale, 75% off teaspoons", briscoes then sees they would go bankrupt for selling teaspoons at such ludicrously low prices, so they go on a talkback show, retract the sale, get a mention on the news, then keep advertising "best prices on teaspoons!". The briscoes lady would get assfucked into bankruptcy in fines.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I was told by a cop on the road after that radio message that "no tolerance" was very much still on.
    Was that while he was giving you a ticket?

I tend to just jump in or on a vehicle and operate it myself. I don't feel the need to log onto Stuff, The Harold or switch on the telly or phone Briscoes to check the daily speed enforcement policy. Nah, I just get out there & do it. Living on the edge I think is what Cassina calls it.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    They said on a 5 minute segment on the news, the zero tolerance was not being adhered to, and in a couple of radio interviews.... So the majority of drivers, who don't watch the news or don't listen to talkback radio, were none the wiser, the advertising kept up with the speeding is a crime, 101km/h is speeding blah blah blah etc. I read the herald, I look on stuff, I didn't find an article about their policy retraction. I listen to several different radio stations, none of which have ever said a message from the police saying they retracted their policy. I watch tv, again most channels, never once saw mention of police not adhering to zero tolerance.
    in our neck of the woods they're doing up the main street with new seal 50kph is now 30kph not around people doing 30kph around people still doing 30kph not dropping down to 20kph... as you see in the big places or open road where the holiday nutters are...
    rule of thump is get in your car,truck or onya bike & drive, then drive to the posted limit or road conditions & if you're worried about your speedo not being right... get a GPS & check it & you will most likely go I can actually go faster in most cases
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Was that while he was giving you a ticket?
    Indeed it was. The lack of tolerance didn't matter on the day though. Biggest thing that annoyed me on the day was that I'd passed about six other cops while doing the same speed and none of them batted an eyelid.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Chicken and egg story really. It's not just the police that have the "us & them" mentality. It seems to pervade almost the whole of society.
    We all are product of our upbringing....

In the military units where I got mine, respect couldn't be demanded....

it had to be earned....

consequently, saluting for instance ,was optional.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    GSX1300R
    One common theme: When you're a cop people think you've been one from the time you left school.... and if one or two cops blot their copy, say something the non-cops don't agree with or similar? - then the rest of them must be just the same
    It's not about the average officer, nor is it disrespect for the work they do.

This all started when one of your big wigs got their 5 mins of media fame. His negative attitude, demeanor, and ranting set the tone for what followed. The Road safety aspect got forgotten due to the way the message was delivered.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Yep. All the billboards (and media reports) I've seen/heard leading up to, and during this holiday season, said stuff like "anything over the limit is speeding" and "if you're over the limit expect to be stopped" so focusing on whether one would or wouldn't get a ticket for 101 is semantics on the part of police isn't it?

For Joe Public who ventures out onto the big road only a few times a year...the stage is thus set for an already nervous type of driver to focus on the wrong thing perhaps? Add a few impatient/aggro/frustrated drivers who get annoyed with the above...

Kinda feel for the decision makers at Police HQ though, for it's gotta be hard to steer a course the public will buy into, and thus get results. Or has the road toll simply got to the point we should stop pouring endless resources into a diminishing results arena?
    Well I cant argue that point, dont listen to the radio, work shifts so 'MI-SKY' is my friend. Dont buy newspapers.... BUT! See the zero tolerence {anything over 100 is speeding} etc, etc billboard posters all over wellington region. Please also note, that in none of their posts have the resident Popo actually stated directly 104..... 'nothing has changed, etc' is INFERENCE', just like the 'INFERENCE' of ticketing on their campaign.
    Joe public will hear/see the inference and behave accordingly, remember these adverts and wording are written by 'experts' not your local 'beat noddy'.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    We all are product if our upbringing....
    True. Also true is that when we reach adulthood we are responsible for ourselves and can't afford to blame our upbringing for how we act and what we think. If we do we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    remember these adverts and wording are written by 'experts' not your local 'beat noddy'.
    Yeah, expert spin-doctors.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Who I try to ignore...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Who I try to ignore...

I ignore my boss sometimes, he can't do my job.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    We all are product of our upbringing....

In the military units where I got mine, respect couldn't be demanded....

it had to be earned....

consequently, saluting for instance ,was optional.....
    Navy?.....
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Like that fuckhead from Monash university who seems to be the Australia & NZ talking head on "road safety"! The road toll is too high in rural WA so his solution? Drop the limit from 110 to 90 over the entire state! Ignore the fact that most (sealed) rural roads have 6m of seal, about 1.2m a side of pea gravel (and I mean small round peashaped gravel) then a row of old trees - which tend to stop you dead in your tracks, literally. And, he says, it should be rigidly enforced - no tolerance! It's bad enough going up the coast to Broome at 110 k limit for the 2300kms each way. being restricted to 90 would be ludicrous - luckily the State government has told this prick to fuck off - but it's only a matter of time.....
    Anyway - aren't radars/lasers only actually accurate to +/- 1.5kph @ 100?
    The whole thing seems to be an exercise in obsessive pedantry to me.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information