Page 98 of 125 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1867

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I quite like the road policing stories in the paper. It's the only time I ever see road policing actually happening.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I quite like the road policing stories in the paper. It's the only time I ever see road policing actually happening.
    dont worry it’s happening, maybe not how you would like it.

speeding too prevelant and or easy to enforce compared to other functions.

actually having the public acknowledge that they are ultimately responsible-too hard.

i accept risk when I am on the road, it’s upto me, but then there are lots of other users and furniture I have to contend with as well.

i don’t mind tougher if your a complete idiot and endanger others, but if you are on your own then it’s your neck on the line.

when I have others who I care about in the vehicle, my driving improves.

seen plenty of tougher actions, but ocassionally making zero tolerance will get people’s backs up. Need to strike a balance and not be too zealous

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Just a Dunedin thing, same story here - https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/d...ush-road-rules.

Would actually like to get stopped to see what being "spoken to" entails but I have not seen them anywhere this week. I imagine they have found another box of ACC hi-vis vests they need to get rid of.
    And how is brushing ones teeth any differnt to lighting and smoking a cigarette, eating a pie, or a burger, drinking a hot coffee, or milo, talking to passengers, sorting out the stereo? It must be a low news day and they need to make something out of nothing.
    If the guy was doing something illiegal then they should have been given a ticket simply.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I've worked in enforcement. Everyone I worked with thought driver education needed to be better, and that roads needed to be better.

I now work in driver/rider education. I think roads need to improve, and enforcement needs to get better.

I'm seeing a pattern here.
    Driver education ??? you mean more advertisements on the tv on the simple things like ... don't drink and drive ... give way at give way signs ... and my old favourite one about the requirement that you need to stop at stop signs. Who knew ... ???

A few more billboards about how wise it is to wear (and fasten) their seat-belt.

I wont even mention speeding dangers needing more mention ... oop's I did ..

It's the simple things killing the people on our roads ... and it's been happening since the days of the horse and cart.

I bet every driver on the road knows somebody (be friend, family member, or a complete stranger) that they saw the accident report for, be it on TV or in the papers. So you can't tell me those that died on the roads ... didn't know it was dangerous.

The large majority of road accidents are caused by a driver doing something on the road that was bloody stupid.

In all the years of road enforcement ... all the enforcers wanted "More education on the dangers of road travel" ... and the "education" is
    largely ignored.

And people are still dying on the "Better" roads. It is really murder out there. Kill a family on the road and you get a few years in jail. THAT fact is the "Education" people know.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    I just came across this throwaway statement in an otherwise unrelated article. Has anyone heard anything about this and what they're specifically focusing on?

"In line with police focusing on motorcyclists this month, a number of motorcyclist were also pulled over and spoken to"
    The last few years there was a campaign for September being Motorcycle Awareness Month, yellow banners people could put on FB profile pics etc etc. However, the website isn't up, and the domain is pending release, so looks like it's not happening this year. www.motorcycleawareness.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps it's time then for road policing policies and practices were changed then. The current ones aren't working or even (apparently) noticed by even the former enforcement members. .. Has it changed much since you were in the job .. ???

Perhaps instead of (or as well as) a fine ... a period of road safety courses pertinent to their offenses. Or jail.

And if they're sent to jail ... make them do the road safety courses in jail. I'm sure they'll remember then.

Funding and education ... win win all round ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I glazed over as soon as I saw the name John Hamilton. He's a former detective, who is bad with conflict.

So he picks the low hanging fruit, to prevent having to confront people.

For example, when the law on obscured number plates was changed to target anti social road users, he went and took over 100 photos of cars belonging to Mr and Mrs Average with a bike rack on the back, and wanted to post out tickets for obscured number plates.

The management think he's the bees knees as he has no idea what discretion is, and they aren't brave enough to straighten him out.

He loves the noisy exhaust tickets, as it's mostly young males, who he isn't scared to deal with.
    Well Good on him I say....

Cause as a previous long distance trucker on some of our worst roads, that mr and mrs average
    With bikes on the back usually do dumb passing moves whilst no doubt fatigued from a ‘race’ on public roads in another town some distance away.
    The flasher the SUV the more entitled to overtake in dumb places.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    And how is brushing ones teeth any differnt to lighting and smoking a cigarette, eating a pie, or a burger, drinking a hot coffee, or milo, talking to passengers, sorting out the stereo? It must be a low news day and they need to make something out of nothing.
    If the guy was doing something illiegal then they should have been given a ticket simply.
    I think half the distraction is people hiding the activity and looking for cops instead of driving.
    People that txt n drive now hide their phone in lap looking down.
    In the good ol days you could hold it in front of you FEEL the key pad and reply yes no or ok while still looking at the road.

I do know of several professional truck drivers that have rolled units over reaching across cab for sandwiches etc.... There’s one crash spot on Taupo Rd that suspiciously coincides with the same time where you would finish eating a burger or cheese and onion toastie at 2am....

I remember my professional trainer when doing car licence deliberately having non car conversations and telling me to enjoy the scenery as being super focused on just the road is fatiguing in itself. And he is right.

We live in a world of Karen’s tho so we all be doing something wrong lol

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    The vast majority of people who get tickets at 55 on a 50 kmh area, their speed would have been reading closer to 60 at the time they were checked. Not that anyone ever admits that.
    I'm not sure what the speedo reading has to do with anything, no one is obliged to have their speedo reading matching the speed limit.

In my car I travel on the open road with the cruise control set at 110kph (indicated) which means that I'm travelling at 100kph (actual) which makes seeing a police car much less stressful. In every vehicle I use I always check the speedo against a GPS reading of the speed, just so that I know what my real speed is. My car over-reads by 10%, my mother's car over-reads by 4-5%, my motorcycle over-reads by ~7%, etc.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Well Good on him I say....

Cause as a previous long distance trucker on some of our worst roads, that mr and mrs average
    With bikes on the back usually do dumb passing moves whilst no doubt fatigued from a ‘race’ on public roads in another town some distance away.
    The flasher the SUV the more entitled to overtake in dumb places.
    I'm not suggesting you are fibbing but we really need some context here.

How many years ago was that? And did the magority of those passing in an unsafe manner occur?

As I've mentioned the MAJORITY of traffic I've come across is doing 95-100kph on the open. I have never seen that sort of passing in the last eight months of being back on a m/c and having ridden around 3/4s of open (not including residential )roads in the lower North Island. In that time I've seen motorcyclists pass truck/trailer units or a long line of traffic at what I would consider stupid places. In those cases I back waaaay off in case an "incident" happens.

Oh and were you traveling at 95kph as per NZ Transport regulations when this dangerous passing occurred?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I'm not sure what the speedo reading has to do with anything, no one is obliged to have their speedo reading matching the speed limit.

In my car I travel on the open road with the cruise control set at 110kph (indicated) which means that I'm travelling at 100kph (actual) which makes seeing a police car much less stressful. In every vehicle I use I always check the speedo against a GPS reading of the speed, just so that I know what my real speed is. My car over-reads by 10%, my mother's car over-reads by 4-5%, my motorcycle over-reads by ~7%, etc.
    End of the Day whatcthe cops radar says is all that matters.

NEVER ever tell a cop you have a GPS device if disputing ticket. Most of them have some tattle tale data recording buried in them and gives probable cause for them to seize the records.
    A truckie mate found this out hard way, disputing 98 vs 96 which still would have been same ticket.
    They downloaded 300 Violations, lucky for him they messed up the court case.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I'm not suggesting you are fibbing but we really need some context here.

How many years ago was that? And did the magority of those passing in an unsafe manner occur?

As I've mentioned the MAJORITY of traffic I've come across is doing 95-100kph on the open. I have never seen that sort of passing in the last eight months of being back on a m/c and having ridden around 3/4s of open (not including residential )roads in the lower North Island. In that time I've seen motorcyclists pass truck/trailer units or a long line of traffic at what I would consider stupid places. In those cases I back waaaay off in case an "incident" happens.

Oh and were you traveling at 95kph as per NZ Transport regulations when this dangerous passing occurred?
    As I’m not a govt dept I do not respond to freedom of information act requests on past events. In this case I will entertain you.
    The limit is actually 90 and I was usually travelling g well below that when LETTING people past in SAFE areas, But there’s always one muppet coming from way back doing about 140 that has to come past regardless of safety of other people.
    You must have rose tinted windscreens in your part of the country.
    The Aussie dashcams youtube channel has a good cross section of the dangerous things truckie encounter daily.
    While the average joe might see something really mind blowingly stupid once a year a truckie would see that stuff at least weekly doing over 3000km a week easily.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    As I’m not a govt dept I do not respond to freedom of information act requests on past events. In this case I will entertain you.
    The limit is actually 90 and I was usually travelling g well below that when LETTING people past in SAFE areas, But there’s always one muppet coming from way back doing about 140 that has to come past regardless of safety of other people.
    You must have rose tinted windscreens in your part of the country.
    The Aussie dashcams youtube channel has a good cross section of the dangerous things truckie encounter daily.
    While the average joe might see something really mind blowingly stupid once a year a truckie would see that stuff at least weekly doing over 3000km a week easily.
    Not at all. Yes there are a "few" drivers that act that way but not ALL of them. Which is the point I'm making whether you like it or not.

How did you know the exact speed of the driver in your example? Did you have a speed mesuring device on the back of your truck?

You are definitely one eyed not unlike those riders who always refer to cars as tin tops or cages. Which I have done when I was younger.

I see a pattern here....

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    NEVER ever tell a cop you have a GPS device if disputing ticket. Most of them have some tattle tale data recording buried in them and gives probable cause for them to seize the records.
    Well, I know the way home from work without needing a GPS. The last time I went somewhere else in the car and did use GPS I again confirmed that the car over-reads by 10%. It just means that when I'm in the car and it tells me the speed, I do a simple mental calculation to interpret what it says - 110 means 100, 55 means 50, 77 means 70, etc. So if a speed sign I pass says 70 then to be within the law I should do no more than 77 on my speedo and once I hit an open road speed limit area then I'm OK up to 110 on the speedo.

I definitely wouldn't want to hand over a GPS to the police for them to have a snoop through.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The last few years there was a campaign for September being Motorcycle Awareness Month, yellow banners people could put on FB profile pics etc etc. However, the website isn't up, and the domain is pending release, so looks like it's not happening this year. www.motorcycleawareness.co.nz
    We had a plan for regional events, but Level 2 put paid to that.

We are now onto Plan F the previous ones having been overtaken by the pandemic.

Thread Information