Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110
Results 1,636 to 1,643 of 1643

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

  1. #1636
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    ES XTZ
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    1,208
    Ive done a handfull of the 1000km Longest day rides in varying weather conditions with riders i know well and enjoyed most of them, my first one i did i was not prepared well at all and it was a loooong horrible day / evening learnt lots about prep that day. The furthest so far was 1220kms a couple years back that was a tough day , 11 or so hours of mostly cold rain and a only a few hours sunny dry conditions (Cheers Nelson) .

    But it is always good to catch up with the other riders at the finish and see what route they had done and how their day was.

  2. #1637
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,529
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Tales over a beer will explain all the tactics needed for that pace. The overall average speed, including all stops, was 120km/h. Once only at that pace!
    Pete is still laughing at that pace set ... it was never beaten or equaled anywhere on an organized run (that I'm aware of).

    Was that the weekend I was on the Checkpoint at Haast village .. ?? I recall you arriving and asking how many were already past. My answer was none.

    I saw your face light up (understatement) ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  3. #1638
    Join Date
    12th January 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Location
    Prebbleton
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

    Was that the weekend I was on the Checkpoint at Haast village .. ?? I recall you arriving and asking how many were already past. My answer was none.

    I saw your face light up (understatement) ...
    No, Trev, Haast was a different year. This was 2005, with the course roughly to Balclutha, Catlins, Tuatapere, Mossburn, Q'town, Alex, Dunedin, Waimate, Geraldine, Tekapo, Cromwell, and so to Chatto Creek.

    Pete did look rather surprised when we arrived so early... He had a quiet word to me afterwards, about the pace.

    For a number of reasons it seemed just to flow, and seemed quite safe, that time, but that was 15 years ago and attitudes to speeding and traffic density have changed since then. Fond memories, though.

    The attached photo of the progress board is not to be taken as evidence of any wrong doing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6231.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	851.8 KB 
ID:	347314  

  4. #1639
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,529
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    No, Trev, Haast was a different year. This was 2005, with the course roughly to Balclutha, Catlins, Tuatapere, Mossburn, Q'town, Alex, Dunedin, Waimate, Geraldine, Tekapo, Cromwell, and so to Chatto Creek.

    Pete did look rather surprised when we arrived so early... He had a quiet word to me afterwards, about the pace.

    For a number of reasons it seemed just to flow, and seemed quite safe, that time, but that was 15 years ago and attitudes to speeding and traffic density have changed since then. Fond memories, though.

    The attached photo of the progress board is not to be taken as evidence of any wrong doing...
    Yes that was a dam good ride. The weather held for the most pat ... which made it easier for me. I even managed a few hours sleep in Waimate.

    Pete was always worried about attracting unwanted attention from Plod. That (as far as I know) did not eventuate. The abilities of those involved however ... DID impress him.

    Once I found myself attached to the tail end of a group of six going down the lower Buller gorge about 1am ... straight into a full moon. Bright enough (almost) to not need lights. The snaking tail lights at speed was epic. And as you say ... fondly remembered.

    Yes ... I think those time boards always made interesting reading. I think THAT particular board STILL exists. You'll have to ask Pete about that though. His number hasn't changed ... and I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  5. #1640
    Join Date
    12th January 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Location
    Prebbleton
    Posts
    446
    Funnily enough, the two (ahem) firsts that I managed were both on bikes that were not particularly fast as such (Honda Varadero 1000 and Aprilia CapoNord 1000) but they were easy to ride briskly for long periods, in reasonable comfort. Barry Dick once told me, in the earlier days when he was on his Kwaka thou, that his theory was that if you finished quickly, then you didn't have time to get tired. He certainly was capable of that.

    Fuel strategy always plays its part, by getting the most from a tank, and on the Varadero it was just possible to eke 400km. My planned refuel in Alex (this was the year of the figure-of-eight course) was at 401km. The bike stopped on the bridge over the Clutha, with the petrol station practically in sight. Luckily, I had a 4-litre tin, just in case...

    Good times!

  6. #1641
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,529
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Fuel strategy always plays its part, by getting the most from a tank, and on the Varadero it was just possible to eke 400km. My planned refuel in Alex (this was the year of the figure-of-eight course) was at 401km. The bike stopped on the bridge over the Clutha, with the petrol station practically in sight. Luckily, I had a 4-litre tin, just in case...

    Good times!
    I always had a container of fuel on board. A few times I've actually given it to another rider. It tends to get a bit lonely if you have to watch the fuel gauge. I had the fuel light come on at Wedderburn on the way home one time. I coasted down Tiger Hill to get me a few hundred meters more than I might have had fuel for. I had to borrow some to get home to Alexandra later.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  7. #1642
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,529
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Funnily enough, the two (ahem) firsts that I managed were both on bikes that were not particularly fast as such (Honda Varadero 1000 and Aprilia CapoNord 1000) but they were easy to ride briskly for long periods, in reasonable comfort. Barry Dick once told me, in the earlier days when he was on his Kwaka thou, that his theory was that if you finished quickly, then you didn't have time to get tired. He certainly was capable of that.

    Good times!
    As I recall ... you could count the number of times you rode your OWN bike on those runs on your left hand. And still have a few fingers leftover.

    The bike reviews you wrote were always very popular. And very well written.

    Well done.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  8. #1643
    Join Date
    12th January 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Location
    Prebbleton
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    As I recall ... you could count the number of times you rode your OWN bike on those runs on your left hand. And still have a few fingers leftover.

    The bike reviews you wrote were always very popular. And very well written.

    Well done.
    One hand, missing three fingers... It was two! Once on my ST1100 and once on my R1200GSA. Thanks to Eric Wood Motorcycles, Rodney Faulkner (Canterbury Rides), and Blue Wing Honda, there were also bikes from H-D, Aprilia x 2, Moto Guzzi x 2, Honda, and BMW x 2. Each good in its own way, but none that I'd necessarily wish to own. Except maybe the Aprilia Futura - that was an absolute joy.

    Looking back, there were only two bikes from Japan, which doesn't reflect what you see on the road. No breakdowns, no tickets, no punctures.

    Thanks for the kind remarks regarding the Kiwi Rider articles.

    On second thoughts, it was twice on my ST1100...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •