Page 141 of 213 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 3183

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    suzuki
    just seen a bike today hand made that literally when they lifted the sheets of it gave me goosebumps, think the britten is cool, this thing is several steps up from it, just mindboggling and i've seen a lot of bikes in my life. no clues sorry, the team is not far from finishing and want to get it sorted before stuff gets out and dilutes it's impact

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    and the lengendary flat four watercooled shaft drive gold wing that was a groundbreaker in 1975was new and amazing
    But that was dumbed down for the general public because it was considered too exotic & complex and took 12-13yrs to get back to original form & capacity.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    just seen a bike today hand made that literally when they lifted the sheets of it gave me goosebumps, think the britten is cool, this thing is several steps up from it, just mindboggling and i've seen a lot of bikes in my life. no clues sorry, the team is not far from finishing and want to get it sorted before stuff gets out and dilutes it's impact
    Were either of the Appel brothers involved?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    That looks like Doug Fairbrother sitting on the GRT bike - he used to race at Te marua speedway back when I was riding there.

Someone in Greytown has some bike smarts - There was a backwards Harley (engine backwards in frame) to get the drive onto the other side, so a modern gearbox (IIRC it was a 6 speed kawaski 900 cluster) could be used, there was a feature about the bike in Streetbike magazine years ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6187.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	786.8 KB 
ID:	335633 1234567890
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Oh no! all my hopes and dreams gone, in one fell swoop!
    Simply looks to me like the Greytown guys decided to get into BEARS racing rather than trying to make a single competitive in F3 after alky was banned.

I have some sympathy for that approach.

Bike
    Various things
    Someone in Greytown has some bike smarts - There was a backwards Harley (engine backwards in frame) to get the drive onto the other side, so a modern gearbox (IIRC it was a 6 speed kawaski 900 cluster) could be used, there was a feature about the bike in Streetbike magazine years ago.
    It was the late Gary McPhee from Carterton (the mayor at one stage), and it was a GPX750 gearbox. Cool bike, and he was a very talented engineer.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    It was the late Gary McPhee from Carterton (the mayor at one stage), and it was a GPX750 gearbox. Cool bike, and he was a very talented engineer.
    Whatever happened to the bike?
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Various things
    Whatever happened to the bike?
    I'm not sure mate. Could prob do a bit of digging if you'd like.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Husa's too young. I didn't get to Manfield club meetings - only the Nationals and the WSB rounds. I'm assuming it didn't appear at those as I would have remembered it as being in the class my Kawasaki's were dominating at that level (modest cough)

There are a few guys on here from that area who were Manfield regulars in that era and should know more.
    I'll PM a couple and see.
    Damn tooting i am far to young.
    When you look through the web site Mike Moore linked in the correct mannner it has some nice pics of the bike though.
    Also the foundry patterns
    Webpage last updated 13 years ago.

http://www.cdd.co.nz/cdd_grt_more_pics.htm
    http://www.cdd.co.nz/cdd_grt.htm
    http://www.cdd.co.nz/cdd_electronic_fuel_injection.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I'm not sure mate. Could prob do a bit of digging if you'd like.
    Only interested in that I recall the article from Streetbike and it seemed like a pretty good idea. It was a long while ago and I guess the bike has been either carted off to the tip or resurrected as a "proper" Harley.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Only interested in that I recall the article from Streetbike and it seemed like a pretty good idea. It was a long while ago and I guess the bike has been either carted off to the tip or resurrected as a "proper" Harley.
    I remember my father telling me he watch some animals at RNZAF Woodburne sawing the gearbox off a Vincent twin crankcase, so someone fit a 5 speed Harley one in the late 80's when they clearly should have beeen refusing to commit such a gross travisty of engineering.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I remember my father telling me he watch some animals at RNZAF Woodburne sawing the gearbox off a Vincent twin crankcase, so someone fit a 5 speed Harley one in the late 80's when they clearly should have beeen refusing to commit such a gross travisty of engineering.
    Hey, the old man made a bit of cash sorting Vincent clutches and gearboxes for Whiting and Waltho - they didn't want to do it. Ian Whiting had a healthy dislike of Vincents despite being an agent. It was justified too. An 80's hardly gearbox was probably better than the OE Vincent - and possibly better than the horribly expensive Quaife 5 speed conversions that Surtees commissioned...

Bike
    husaberg
    Hey, the old man made a bit of cash sorting Vincent clutches and gearboxes for Whiting and Waltho - they didn't want to do it. Ian Whiting had a healthy dislike of Vincents despite being an agent. It was justified too. An 80's hardly gearbox was probably better than the OE Vincent - and possibly better than the horribly expensive Quaife 5 speed conversions that Surtees commissioned...
    Whist it may be better it was still a travisty to saw up a intact Vincent crankcase then.
    Snr Whitting was a very nice fella. Where was the origional shop.
    I remember reading irving mused if you could see inside a running vinny twin you would have seen sparks comming of the cams.

Anyway here is something oddball

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...n/1846944.html
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    Original shop was Cashel St, just west of Barbadoes intersection. Next door to the pub on the corner - the Provincial ? All gone now post quakes.

I was working further down Cashel St when the first Honda 750/4 arrived. Walked down to look at it in my lunchhour - and Ian fired it up for me.
    Very nice guy.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Original shop was Cashel St, just west of Barbadoes intersection. Next door to the pub on the corner - the Provincial ? All gone now post quakes.

I was working further down Cashel St when the first Honda 750/4 arrived. Walked down to look at it in my lunchhour - and Ian fired it up for me.
    Very nice guy.
    That Honda 750 front brake was probably not the first motorcycle disc brake perhaps, but really the first disc brake to go into mass production - from memory, it was a simple single piston swinging caliper affair.

I used to work with (the late) Lloyd May in Papakura where he was a toolmaker and he decided to make a close copy of that brake and fitted it to his newly acquired 350 Yamaha racer (TR2 ?) which still had the massive front wheel drum brake.
    It all seemed to work very well, but then one day at Pukekohe something went wrong and he went straight on at the last right hander going into the main straight and through the hedge at quite high speed, He was terribly battered and bruised for a long time afterward!
    I think it was the brake that failed, he was too experienced as a rider for that to have happened any other way.
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information