Page 186 of 214 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 3196

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Fireproof, pressureproof, detonationproof reeds that open at the slightest pressure differential, and with so little mass that they'll allow any rpm...
    Did you try talking to Santa about it?
    Santa said, "Be a good little Poppet..... 'cos until you get yourself off the Naughty List, you're getting S..t!":

Cheers, Daryl

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post
    Santa said, "Be a good little Poppet..... 'cos until you get yourself off the Naughty List, you're getting S..t!":

Cheers, Daryl
    At least you got a civil reply! - any time I mention poppets to the 2T boys , all I get is a terse F**K OFF NODDY

(BTW, even Santa has gone 4T as well)
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Preliminary calculations on the cam-less valves suggest that 28mm diam. Ti valves of 24g with 50kpa of boost will produce 7mm of lift in 90 deg. up to 2500rpm.....IF....
    Blowdown can reduce cylinder pressure to Zero or below. (Absolutely Zero)..and the differential be maintained during intake.
    (About the same sort of revs where they stopped using atmospheric intakes, around 100 years ago)

The Camshaft LIVES!..

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Direct Injection is off My table at present.

Lack of small compact pumps to provide 200bar is an issue.

The best that Honda can do is this Patent:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda GDI Patent pic..JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	344011

Sticking, what looks like, an automotive sized, Bosch DI pump on top of an engine.

Boldly developing New and Exciting Advanced Technology for (maybe sometime in) the Future!!!
    Or at least to stop anyone else from trying! (A Honda uniflow 2-Stroke patent pdf is attached)

Cheers, Daryl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honda Uniflow 2015 US20160032816A1.pdf  

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    F**K OFF NODDY
    Fortunately, this is the Oddball engine thread!

The Noddy bike lasted as long as the BSA Bantam!

cheers, Daryl

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post
    Fortunately, this is the Oddball engine thread!

The Noddy bike lasted as long as the BSA Bantam!

cheers, Daryl
    I was reading about rhe LE velo last night it turns out they weree called a noddy bike as the rider was meant to salute other police officers when mounted it turned out due to the hand-shift on the velo most of the time he could not so they allowed then to nod which started of the nickman noddy bike. sounded plausable.
    the orifial carb had something like 7 seperate jets in it.
    from memory it was 100 pound dearer then a bantam and about 100lb heavier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I was reading about rhe LE velo last night it turns out they weree called a noddy bike as the rider was meant to salute other police officers when mounted it turned out due to the hand-shift on the velo most of the time he could not so they allowed then to nod which started of the nickman noddy bike. sounded plausable.
    the orifial carb had something like 7 seperate jets in it.
    from memory it was 100 pound dearer then a bantam and about 100lb heavier.
    The LE Velocette was a unique bike but not exactly a ball of fire - good for pottering about on but as far as I was concerned there was not a racing part in it, (except the front forks, often used in specials) - the good old Bantams and Tiger Cubs could be turned into great little speed machines.

Velocette also made a scooter called the Viceroy which had a 250cc two stroke boxer twin engine mounted up front, just behind the front wheel - looked like it might be good, but by that time Velocette were on the slippery slope ....

Triumph also made a scooter called the Tigress which used the four stroke 250cc parallel twin engine originally designed for the Sunbeam motorcycle which was aimed (unsuccessfully) at the American market. - The Tigress was actually a good scooter, it had unusual front forks (resembling conventional forks with twin legs) but which were turned through 90 deg. making it a unique one sided setup and easy to remove the front wheel - It actually handled better than many motorcycles of the day! (I owned one for a short time).

Might try and dig up some info on all these machines, unless Husa beats me to it of course ........ Husa - you there?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    The LE Velocette was a unique bike but not exactly a ball of fire - good for pottering about on but as far as I was concerned there was not a racing part in it, (except the front forks, often used in specials) - the good old Bantams and Tiger Cubs could be turned into great little speed machines.

Velocette also made a scooter called the Viceroy which had a 250cc two stroke boxer twin engine - looked like it might be good, but by that time Velocette were on the slippery slope ....

Triumph also made a scooter called the Tigress which used the four stroke 250cc parallel twin engine originally designed for the Sunbeam motorcycle which was aimed (unsuccessfully) at the American market. - The Tigress was actually a good scooter, it had unusual front forks (resembling conventional forks with twin legs) but which were turned through 90 deg. making it a unique one sided setup and easy to remove the front wheel - It actually handled better than many motorcycles of the day! (I owned one for a short time).

Might try and dig up some info on all these machines, unless Husa beats me to it of course ........ Husa - you there?
    I think the Viceroy was a little smaller 200cc? nope 250cc
    appears to be 2t
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EJCyD3PXYAEwWVp.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	344016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1964 Viceroy engine with milled fins-4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	344017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viceroy engine,sectioned.1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	344018
    http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/20...-to-small.html
    there was also a convention bike called the Valiant that used what appeared to be a OHV LE engine.

Name:	Velocette-1957-Valiant-Engine-Diagram.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	344019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Velo_Valiant1 jpg.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	344020
    There was a guy in NZ that put a tigress into a Cub or 3TA chassis it looked rather nice.
    the viceroy and the later Le had a conventional box from what i read the hand shift on the LE was meant to make it easier for a car driver to learn to shift (i doubt it was)
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2u3jlz
    Sunbeam S7

Name:	SunbeamS7-43.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	344022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunbeamS7-41.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	344021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	album_pic.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	344023

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

https://www.pressreader.com/australi...81625306417441
    The 250cc Triumph Tigress (which used the engine from the Sunbeam S7 above) was often criticised, but was really a good design (if it had been properly de-bugged) - unfortunately it just arrived at the wrong time!
    The BSA/Sunbeam version came with the BSA Bantam 175 engine installed in it.

Name:	p-18816-1965_Triumph_Tigress_250_165_1_L_Side.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	344024

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...0forks&f=false
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Husa, I see you are about to hit 9999 posts - do try to make it on this thread! !
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Husa, I see you are about to hit 9999 posts - do try to make it on this thread! !
    Go Husa....the 10K Oddball...
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Oddballs are very welcome here!

Name:	Viceroy engine,sectioned.1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	344027

The Viceroy engine was well conceived with lots of positive features, it deserved further development.

Case Reed induction was bleeding edge in the 70/80's let alone 1950/60's.

A water-cooled, racing version would have been So easy for Velocette. Beat the TZ by 10 years.

Husa, does 9999 mean you go back to Zero?

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    husaberg
    Triumph 2t i never seen.

Name:	triumph 2t 1.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	344028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triumph 2t 2.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	344029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trumph 2t 3.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	344030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truoumph 2t 4.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	344031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truiumph 2t 5.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	344032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB3Z8457-9304.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	344033
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Interesting stuff - never before heard of that engine, - must say the Tiger cub looked a lot better with its original engine!- trouble is, the Poms (or at least the Pommie big wigs ) just flatly refused to believe or understand that they could be beaten!

They became desperate and tried anything but didn't have the cash to develop anything properly - All Britain's cash went to rebuild Japan and Germany ( ie in paying back the Americans for the stuff they got during the war (lend lease) and America immediately investing it in those two countries - the Russians and the British both had a hard time after the war, except that Russia had more resources to help them recover! - that's how I see it anyway!

Velocette I do believe had a potential winner there in the Viceory, but they folded like all the others so it never had a chance. I remember trying to buy a barrel and piston when the Viceroy was (supposedly) in production - I tried to buy them as new spares but just got a letter to say that they were unable to supply the spares I required for my scooter! - ( I had thought it would make a good starting point for a 125 racing engine). - but that's what things were like in those days!

ADDITION: - I was only interested in the engine of course, but was just having a browse on the Viceroy and came to the conclusion that they are UGLY looking beasts!! - funny thing is though, the Black ones actually look not too bad! .......Velocette not too hot on styling I must say. so, 9 out of 10 for the engine, ..... 2 out of 10 for styling!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    The 2 Stroke Triumph article loses some credibility with the 'chore horse' reference.
    The Chore Horse was a 4 Stroke side valve, like a Briggs & Stratton, with a canted cylinder,
    (probably to side step a patent).
    Re: the 1967? Triumph Two Stroke. Why? Why? Why?, for God's sake, didn't they just update the Ariel Arrow engine.
    Twin Carbs, Alloy cylinders, 5 speed box, then rename it Triumph (or BSA, AJS, Norton, etc, etc, etc.) And put it in a conventional frame. Development cost = $SFA
    That's what a 1959 Yamaha YDS-1 looked like, FFS! (and pretty much, every one, ever since).

(Miss)Management with too many Ego's, brand loyalties (and dis-loyalties) and Head in Arse, Bulldog, pigheadedness, I guess.

It's pretty obvious how the Japs left them behind.

Three Rousing Cheers, for (what was) the British Motorcycle Industry. Daryl

Thread Information