Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 2,836 to 2,837 of 2837

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    Hey Will,
    Hope all goes well with you and family,why would anyone want to move from paradise elsewhere?This bit of thread was started from Kevin Cameron's article stating the twin piston 2stroke is the future F1 engine,,Surely it must howl and spin trillions of RPM's to keep the spectators from napping..so a steady state engine wouldnt be what he is writing about..Are we talking the same engine or am I missing something??
    Cheers, John

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    Hey Will,
    Hope all goes well with you and family,why would anyone want to move from paradise elsewhere?This bit of thread was started from Kevin Cameron's article stating the twin piston 2stroke is the future F1 engine,,Surely it must howl and spin trillions of RPM's to keep the spectators from napping..so a steady state engine wouldnt be what he is writing about..Are we talking the same engine or am I missing something??
    Cheers, John
    John,
    It's long story associated with grandkids health problems so very necessary - not what we want to happen of course!

No, not specifically about racing, more about the survival of the two stroke in every aspect of it's existence! - and to be honest I actually only sat down and read through Kevin Cameron's article properly a couple of days ago, so any thoughts from me on this subject are not based on that, but still good news! - I have been (very) slowly working through all this stuff for many years and when I heard of F1 etc taking an interest I have been reviewing things once more..... and I don't expect that anything I think will have much of an impact - I'm just a very interested party i guess!!

The kind of sound we want is really what we become accustomed to I guess - the old "steamies" had to lose their longing for Choo Choo noises, the old racing guys had to forget the sound of the old slow revving singles, so what's really different?

We don't need to incorporate racing rules and sounds etc into our everyday real life (rejuvenated) two stroke design, but we still want to! - we find it hard to change from designs "tainted" by the racing rules which have been deeply ingrained in us! - racing is good, but the real everyday world is a different situation!
    So lets break out and explore the big wide "real world"! - Racing is great, no doubt about that, but it's more about personalities than engine noise! - you can hardly even hear the sound of the engines on TV! and when you do hear it, it's not exciting like the sounds in sixties were anyway!
    I watch it all the time but we do put up with (for example) a mandatory 250 cc single four stroke putting out less HP than the 250 cc racers of the sixties (eg the Moto Morini from around 1963 - 65, a single cylinder Italian 250cc four stroke capable of beating the Honda fours)! - that's all in the past. - we could ask ourselves, is that really the way to go? - We have however been accepting that for a while and of course its still good racing! .... so perhaps the "retrograde" step of going back to 3 cylinder supercharged two strokes (in the big real world) isn't really so silly after all!
    Freedom of speech is important but if what we say is considered incorrect by our peers, they will quickly put us right.
    P.C. will eventually destroy our right to tell the truth.

Thread Information