Page 194 of 214 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 3196

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    There are several advantages to piston compressors. First, they can be used to balance the engine. Second their delivery is pulsed and can be timed to arrive at the cylinder at the right time. One of the very first two strokes took advantage of all this in 1878.

Lohring Miller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1878 Clerks_engine.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	345802  

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    There are several advantages to piston compressors. First, they can be used to balance the engine. Second their delivery is pulsed and can be timed to arrive at the cylinder at the right time. One of the very first two strokes took advantage of all this in 1878.
    Don't you love the simple but highly efficient carburetor de-icing system? The exhaust ports blow straight into the carb bellmouth .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ceci View Post
    The use of a piston pump is not only limited to one function.
    In addition to supercharging, it can be used at the same time to make a layered load, with the best direct injection method that works "pneumatic" on mopeds and UAVs.
    Ceci
    Pretty sure Ken Seeber would know something about that, he worked for the company which invented and developed that system. (Orbital Australia).

Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Don't you love the simple but highly efficient carburetor de-icing system? The exhaust ports blow straight into the carb bellmouth .
    Frits,
    Yes - I know - joke!
    But ..... Not so long ago (on some of these threads), we were discussing the benefits of having hot exhaust gases coming back into the cylinder from an expansion chamber to enhance and heat the charge for HCCI! ...... what? !
    This guy thought way over 100 years ahead! - He decided to push hot air in ! ..... as opposed to what we had drummed into our heads (ie that cold air at the inlet was the way to go!) - how could we be so wrong? ....... so there!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Ceci
    Pretty sure Ken Seeber would know something about that, he worked for the company which invented and developed that system. (Orbital Australia).

:
    Thank you very much WilDun, you already mentioned it to me previously that Ken worked in Orbital and he already clarified some things for me.
    Orbital uses the piston compressor only to create the layered charge, discard the supercharger option.
    In the compressor model for mopeds it is logical that it be used only for that function, but the compressor model used for UAVs can be oversized and used for supercharging as well.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Thank you very much WilDun, you already mentioned it to me previously that Ken worked in Orbital and he already clarified some things for me.
    Orbital uses the piston compressor only to create the layered charge, discard the supercharger option.
    In the compressor model for mopeds it is logical that it be used only for that function, but the compressor model used for UAVs can be oversized and used for supercharging as well.
    Yes it's good to hear Ken was discussing it with you! ...... and then one thing leads to another ...... that's development !
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Lohring Miller
    The path of the crankpin (compressor piston) is interesting - but I don't understand the 'stepped' part of the piston! - (crosshead?).

Which came first? - Did somebody copy someone else? ......... probably Harry Ricardo improved it!

Clerks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1878 Clerks_engine.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	345809 Ricardo DolphinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolphin.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	345810
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Yes it's good to hear Ken was discussing it with you! ...... and then one thing leads to another ...... that's development !
    Listening to Ken is always enriching.
    Piston pump supercharging through the crankcase is an option that can improve results on your UHV project.
    As there is no cylinder fill time diagram (the pressure on the sheets determines the time), it is a function of pumping the load

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Listening to Ken is always enriching.
    Piston pump supercharging through the crankcase is an option that can improve results on your UHV project.
    As there is no cylinder fill time diagram (the pressure on the sheets determines the time), it is a function of pumping the load
    Sorry, I assume that when you say "sheets" you mean reeds (as in reed valves)?

I don't have a project at the moment! - I just talk!!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Sorry, I assume that when you say "sheets" you mean reeds (as in reed valves)?

I don't have a project at the moment! - I just talk!!

That is what "reeds" meant.
    Ken's UHV project is a rough diamond that is about to be polished, but it is a great diamond of immense value

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    That is what "reeds" meant.
    Ken's UHV project is a rough diamond that is about to be polished, but it is a great diamond of immense value
    Yes, he's just starting out on his project and I'm keen to see how it pans out later on!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    "Which came first? - Did somebody copy someone else? ......... probably Harry Ricardo improved it!"

All the way up to the Rolls Royce Crecy, the king of supercharged two strokes. Doesn't the combustion chamber look familiar?

Lohring Miller

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crecy Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	345812

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    "Which came first? - Did somebody copy someone else? ......... probably Harry Ricardo improved it!"

All the way up to the Rolls Royce Crecy, the king of supercharged two strokes. Doesn't the combustion chamber look familiar?

Lohring Miller
    I believe that combustion chamber was a Ricardo design - I can remember that in the late fifties, Deutz (I think) were using it in their diesel engines.
    Not so sure the Crecy was ever the king - it was being groomed to become king but never got there, the end of the war being the end of its chances! (along with the Napier two stroke engines and others) - ie when jet engines invaded.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Has anyone ever heard any worthwhile reports on the (HCCI) Mazda 3 engine? - probably been on the market 6 months by now!
    I was very interested in that, but it doesn't really seem to have hit the news with any great impact (is that good or bad? - no news is good news maybe?).

Found something -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2Mt-tkJ_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNSxow3W7ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEMuOi0N2fQ
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    I have posted some stuff on this engne befire but i thing this one has some extra that might interest Neil

Name:	collet and fwhite .pdf 
Views:	58 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	345860
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I have posted some stuff on this engne befire but i thing this one has some extra that might interest Neil

Name:	collet and fwhite .pdf 
Views:	58 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	345860
    He's using a Tee Square, just how old is this ?

Anyways, it must be bullshit, he doesn't have glasses....
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Thread Information