Page 29 of 213 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    That was Michael Schaftleitner. He made gearboxes for just about everybody; was pretty good at crankshafts too.
    Yes, just checked it out - he was Austrian I believe, but is no longer with us.
    I can't seem to stop all this stuff flooding back into my mind, but it's great to be able to check it out immediately by Google before it all gets lost again!

BTW. What does the name Schafleitner actually mean? - maybe someone who makes flights for arrows, possibly??

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    What does the name Schafleitner actually mean? - maybe someone who makes flights for arrows, possibly??
    Schaft = shaft; that's right. But I don't know about Leitner. Maybe I should ask Hans Holzleitner (Hans was the Austrian Rotax engineer who developed the tandem-twin, amongst other things). Come to think of it: the Austrians seem to have a habit of using last names derived from their occupations.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Schaft = shaft; that's right. But I don't know about Leitner. Maybe I should ask Hans Holzleitner (Hans was the Austrian Rotax engineer who developed the tandem-twin, amongst other things). Come to think of it: the Austrians seem to have a habit of using last names derived from their occupations.
    Not unique to Austrians, the anglo saxons were pretty good at it too. Butcher, Baker, Tanner, Driver, Shepherd come to mind.

The Linto was not cheap. Nothing hand made in Italy is...Yes, a double up of 250 macchi singles but not done any easy way. With the cam(s) driven off a layshaft their direction of rotation was reversed as compared to the singles. If the factory could have grouind a symmetrical profile as they are supposed to be it wouldn't have been a problem...As you may gather, i've seen a few macchi cams.....Added to that a tendency for the end to break off the layshaft in the primary drive and you really have to know what you're doing to run one.
    I have seen a pic of what is undoubtedly a Linto frame with a Rotax snowmobile motor installed...Now that should have been good.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Not unique to Austrians, the anglo saxons were pretty good at it too. Butcher, Baker, Tanner, Driver, Shepherd come to mind.
    Then the Anglo Saxons originally came from Northern Europe, especially Germany (Saxony) after all! - Northern Holland and Denmark also - they didn't actually invade Britain, they just came in over time!

I have seen a pic of what is undoubtedly a Linto frame with a Rotax snowmobile motor installed...Now that should have been good.
    Husa, any chance of a picture of that one?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Schaft = shaft; that's right. But I don't know about Leitner.
    Seems that Leitner means 'someone who lives on the mountain slope' - he probably did too! so there you go, good old Google!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Husa, any chance of a picture of that one?
    It's in Mick Walker's Classic European Motorcycles. In the Austria section - under Rotax.
    caption doesn't say Linto frame - but it is.

As most know by now, my internet is at the level of a 4E Villiers and i can't post pics.

Bike
    husaberg

The Linto was not cheap. Nothing hand made in Italy is...Yes, a double up of 250 macchi singles but not done any easy way. With the cam(s) driven off a layshaft their direction of rotation was reversed as compared to the singles. If the factory could have grouind a symmetrical profile as they are supposed to be it wouldn't have been a problem...As you may gather, i've seen a few macchi cams.....Added to that a tendency for the end to break off the layshaft in the primary drive and you really have to know what you're doing to run one.
    i'd have to dig it up but at the time it was by accounts relatively inexpensive and certainly competitive they even made far more than I thought. An aussie whose name escapes me had brought one at the time for the continental circus.
    The article was written at the time it came out and was about a few privateers racing in Europe at the time. I have a feeling one was Dobbs or Dodds. (edit it was Dave Stanley who I have never heard of)
    Id thought I posted some Linto stuff but it appears I haven't. I have a feeling one Linto was speed trapped at a huge speed at either Monza or the IOM.
    They were also some that raced them in sidecars which likely accounted for why so few engines were left.
    I also suspect that the running gear esp the forks was not really up to the increased stresses. MV's have thicker walled forks
    IMO they were beautiful but I always liked Machis. I am pretty sure mr S above also made the gearbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Seems that Leitner means 'someone who lives on the mountain slope' - he probably did too! so there you go, good old Google!

Shaft in Mt = mine? Or caveman?

His modified AMC boxes were of course used by the Konig racers too, being non-unit..

As today, a Kiwi TT Industries box - could be utilized to run an ex-snow/marine 2T mill of suitable size - for a bike..

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post
    Shaft in Mt = mine? Or caveman?
    A man of many talents! - His name certainly has come a long way from it's humble beginnings in a cave on the slopes of the Austrian Alps!

Didn't realize his gearboxes were used in such a variety of machinery!

Does anyone remember Helmut Fath and his four cylinder engine, designing and developing it by himself in his garage, testing it on a car trailer out in the forest so as not to annoy his neighbours?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    No? - ah well, - I've done a "Husa" and dug it up myself!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmut-fath-urs.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	315421

http://www.letrabe.es/Clasp/helmuth-faths-urs-500/

Bike
    husaberg
    No? - ah well, - I've done a "Husa" and dug it up myself!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmut-fath-urs.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	315421

http://www.letrabe.es/Clasp/helmuth-faths-urs-500/
    That original motor was hard case note how it breathed two ways additional air from the stacks up to.
    A later version was later put into a frame for road racing (Seeley I think did the frame) pretty sure I had posted that or was going to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Yeah, late development Hispano-Suiza ( & the licenced copy, Soviet Klimov) V12 aero-mills also used an auxillary air only inlet..
    but they were 4 valve heads & ran 1 inlet rich with fuel, & the other air only, on separate cam timing..

They also ran 1 each of the paired exhaust valves - ported discretely out either side of the head, per cyl.. weird or what, eh..

Yamaha, of course, picked up on Fath's URS 90`crank, as the 'cross-plane' to fire their inline 4, V4-wise..

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    That original motor was hard case note how it breathed two ways additional air from the stacks up top.
    A later version was later put into a frame for road racing (Seeley I think did the frame) pretty sure I had posted that or was going to.
    Yeah, I think that early engine (or at least the head) was probably inspired by the Matra formula 1 engine of the day, (except that the Matra didnt have the two sets of stacks) - I could of course be wrong! but judging by where the inlet ports were positioned, I should imagine that they would have to have been modified it if it was to be used in a solo bike!

I'm sure you posted a lot of this stuff in your earlier thread but people (like me) are a bit lazy about going back to find out!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post
    Yamaha, of course, picked up on Fath's URS 90`crank, as the 'cross-plane' to fire their inline 4, V4-wise..
    Got any info on Fath's 90 deg crank? - sounds interesting if used in an inline four.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Same-same, 'cept the Fath crank was a built-up rolling element bearing item, like most 2Ts, Z1s, GS Suzukis & whatnot..
    & a bit like the TZ 750, effectively being paired twin cranks running a jackshaft.. ( wonder why Yam didn't run the 90`option on the TZ, instead of firing in pairs?)

4T 90`inline crank configuraton "sounds interesting" - just like a 4T V4, as the Yamahas do.

Thread Information