Page 3 of 213 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Must say the thread has got off to a great start, hope it keeps up the momentum!

SABLE,
    Regarding the Commer TS3,

http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/TS3.htm

I remember those well from when I was a kid! - they were noisy as hell going up hills with a heavy load aboard. Some of the guys who drove them found that you could disconnect the governor mechanism and they wound them up to some pretty amazing speeds! However a lot of them developed quite a rattle as the bearings in the rocker assemblies wore out, no doubt brought on by the rough treatment dished out!

Seems that they were also very economical on fuel (diesel in this case) - not something that can be said for your average two stroke, so some people also fitted them in boats and I believe they performed well in that role.

I finally managed to cadge a ride in one (ie Commer truck) when I was about 16, it was probably a 100 mile journey - I found it to be an unbelievably smooth running engine and surprisingly, not really noisy in the cab.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    The Hooper Favill engine seemed to have quite a lot of promise and it really interested me when it first came out, but I guess two strokes were not being looked on favourably at that time, so it virtually disappeared from the scene.

Thanks for all those pics and articles on it - much better than all the grotty yellowing examples I have in my old scrapbook.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    As to the uniflow engine, if you imagine two split single engines head to head, one of them turned 180 degrees. So one cylinder fills to to bottom while the other cylinder fills bottom to top, simple. Makes for a clean cylinder fill every cycle, the next version on from this engine ( A 440cc ) can be seen running in a jet boat, video on youtube. Many hours of running at full load, this video taken on the first and second time it was ever run under load ( in the water ) first in the Waikato river to see that it would in fact run under load and later in the video the boat is at a lake ( back of Huntly ) the very next day. So you don't get to see full throttle until near the end of the video.
    http://youtu.be/uiXsPkP9jvw

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Regarding the TS3 Commer noise.
    Some years ago I worked for Meat Industry Research at Ruakura. We needed a large volume air displacer that would pull a reasonable vacuum ( to suck sheep brains out, I kid you not! ), I found an old Wade super charger off a TS3 that we decided would do the job for our prototype test machine. I coupled the super charger up to a five horse electric motor. The moment it was switched on, instantly came back that sound of the Coca-cola Commer delivery trucks I used to hear grinding up the road to our school. That noise you hear from the commer exhaust is the pulses generated by the supercharger with it's high bypass air flow to purge the cylinders when both inlet and exhaust ports were open. Well I thought it was interesting any way.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    The Hooper Favill engine seemed to have quite a lot of promise and it really interested me when it first came out, but I guess two strokes were not being looked on favourably at that time, so it virtually disappeared from the scene.

Thanks for all those pics and articles on it - much better than all the grotty yellowing examples I have in my old scrapbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    this is one that could have, should have, would have,,,,, but true to the Brit bike industry???

The stepped piston 2T engine developed by Bernard Hooper for Norton, The Wulf 500, of which, one was made!!
    This was from the links associated with it.
    BERNARD HOOPER ENGINEERING LTD
    http://users.breathe.com/prhooper/mcycle.htm

STEPPED PISTON MOTORCYCLE ENGINE DEVELOPMENT

The original motorcycle engine projects centred on the twin cylinder Wulf and Wulf II engines, however a recent project aimed at providing reduced environmental impact for a motorcycle application has been under consideration. This has led to the following single cylinder stepped piston motorcycle engine project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp150cs2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	306081
    The primary objective of this project has involved a demonstration of the low oil consumption characteristics of the stepped piston engine. The support enabled the design and build of a single cylinder 150 cm3 SP engine and this is shown above as a modification to an existing motorcycle crankcase and gearbox assembly. The original 125 cm3 crankcase scavenged "base" engine can be seen below.

Name:	ccs2teng.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	306079
    Original Engine used for project basis

Results from the project are very encouraging even at this early stage of development. Many conventional crankcase scavenged engines operate at an equivalent fuelil ratio of 50:1 at full throttle. Operation below this level often causes catastrophic engine failure. The stepped piston engine operates on neat fuel with lubricant supplied from the sump as per four stroke engine practise. If we consider the total fuel consumption as a ratio against the total measured oil consumption then data for comparison with conventional crankcase scavenged two stroke engines can be generated. The stepped piston engine has so far been demonstrated to run at levels approaching 200:1 at full load or in other words a 75% reduction in oil consumption against typical precision oil feed pump metered two stroke engines. The following bar charts show some of the results from the motorcycle engine project.

Name:	rloilcon.gif 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	306080

SP150cs Engine oil consumption at simulated Road Load conditions

Name:	wotoilc.gif 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	306082
    The results above were recorded for top gear Road Load conditions. Data is presented at simulated 30mph (48km/h) and 50mph (80 km/h) riding conditions. The chart below shows a comparison of our target oil consumption at full load 7500 RPM operating conditions against the measured consumption of the precision metered conventional engine

original patent pic for the wulf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wulf_III (2).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	306084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	espacenetImage.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	306083  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    Regarding the TS3 Commer noise.
    That noise you hear from the commer exhaust is the pulses generated by the supercharger with it's high bypass air flow to purge the cylinders when both inlet and exhaust ports were open. Well I thought it was interesting any way.
    Ah, so it wasn't exhaust noise! We live and learn, sometimes I wish I could hear it again, I used to love that noise (in the distance) - second only to a Manx Norton -which smelt better of course!

(Sometimes,the noise alone could have driven your brains out! ).)

Bike
    husaberg
    More stuff I had posted before on ESE...Re the SPX WULF

Name:	spxa.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	552.0 KB 
ID:	306086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spxb.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	654.4 KB 
ID:	306087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spxc.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	520.5 KB 
ID:	306088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spxd.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	712.6 KB 
ID:	306089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spxe.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	697.4 KB 
ID:	306090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spxf.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	675.1 KB 
ID:	306091  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    TS3 to the max - Napier Deltic. Designed for motor torpedo boats, also used in Brit Rail locos.

Also - Rootes were going to build a TS4, the prototypes were very successful. But then Rootes was taken over by Chrysler and management decreed that trucks had to use Cummins engines, development on the TS4 was stopped, even though it was superior to the Cummins.

Name:	delticengine.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	306098  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    TS3 to the max - Napier Deltic. Designed for motor torpedo boats, also used in Brit Rail locos.

Also - Rootes were going to build a TS4, the prototypes were very successful. But then Rootes was taken over by Chrysler and management decreed that trucks had to use Cummins engines, development on the TS4 was stopped, even though it was superior to the Cummins.
    nice
    one screaming
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzmz3ZqQIS8

different
    Last edited by husaberg; 29th November 2014 at 21:58. Reason: thank mr throuser for the vid reboot
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Managed to find a pic of the TS4 that was on low gear, I am sure the dude with Bill hohepa got 2 of the remaining 4 and brought them back to NZ.

Name:	16282_534925383246166_1273769660_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	306106  
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    And then there was the Deltic's predecessor, the Napier Lion, also a very successful engine, it was a triple bank 12 cylinder aircraft/torpedo boat/car engine!!!
    Also I believe that Moto Guzzi also experimented with a similar but 3 cylinder with the same layout.

Name:	Napier_Lion_3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	306118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napier Lion 3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	306119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napier Lion 2.gif 
Views:	67 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	306120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napier Lion 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	306121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lion2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	306122

The Guzzi is here,
    http://thekneeslider.com/images/2009...guzzi-w103.jpg

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Has that yo mobile ever been built and used? I could imagine the Black Power wanting to get their hands on one.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    BSA A10
    http://www.pivotalengine.com/
    http://www.pivotalengine.com/flashversion.html.
    [ATTACH]http://bioage.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pivotal_1.png[/ATTACH]

Name:	pivotal_1.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	306137  
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Name:	images (2).jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	306150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	306151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4529056044_525x499.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	306152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4529056041_525x350.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	306153

And you thought your 650cc single was big!

Single cylinder two stroke diesel Field Marshal tractor (post war from 1945 on) - with cartridge start if necessary. Used a lot through the fifties, - note the huge external flywheel and expansion chamber exhaust.
    They shook like 40 B**t**ds - none of your cissy balance shafts in those days mate, ie. when men were men! (read blurred vision, blurred brains,deafness, arthritic joints, - probably why it's hard to talk sense to a lot of old guys!

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post

Name:	images (2).jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	306150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	306151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4529056044_525x499.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	306152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4529056041_525x350.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	306153

And you thought your 650cc single was big!

Single cylinder two stroke diesel Field Marshal tractor (post war from 1945 on) - with cartridge start if necessary. Used a lot through the fifties, - note the huge external flywheel and expansion chamber exhaust.
    They shook like 40 B**t**ds - none of your cissy balance shafts in those days mate, ie. when men were men! (read blurred vision, blurred brains,deafness, arthritic joints, - probably why it's hard to talk sense to a lot of old guys!
    My door stop could be handy for one of those:

Name:	Piston.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	306157  

Thread Information