Page 91 of 213 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 3183

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    Exercycle
    Will - I read an article somewhere on the new TUV regs in Germany. It's not a plastic as such they're using, I understand it's resin reinforced recycled paper and cardboard being used for most interior surfaces. Including dashboards. Apparently it will decompose naturally if dumped but can be recycled.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Will - I read an article somewhere on the new TUV regs in Germany. It's not a plastic as such they're using, I understand it's resin reinforced recycled paper and cardboard being used for most interior surfaces. Including dashboards. Apparently it will decompose naturally if dumped but can be recycled.
    Sounds like a trabant body.
    Duroplast is light and strong. It is made of recycled material, cotton waste and phenol resins.
    Similar to fiberglass, Duroplast has limited possibilities for efficient disposal. As discarded Trabants began to fill junkyards, disposing of the bodies inspired creative solutions. One of these was developed by a Berlin biotechnology company, who experimented with a bacterium that would consume the body in 20 days. Urban legends, depicted in the movie Black Cat White Cat and described in a song by the Serbian band Atheist Rap, described recycling Duroplast by feeding the cars to pigs, sheep and other farm animals. In the late 1990s, the same Zwickau plant that manufactured the Trabant developed a solution for Duroplast disposal. After removing the glass, engine, and steel frame, the Duroplast shell is shredded and used as an aggregate in cement blocks for pavement construction. This was featured in an episode of the program Scientific American Frontiers on the American PBS TV channel.
    Public perception
    The use of Duroplast in Trabants and subsequent GDR jokes and mockery in western auto magazines such as Car and driver gave rise to an urban myth that the Trabant is made of corrugated cardboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'm quite familiar with the Phenolic resin and fabric material used for everything from PC boards to gears (If that's what is being discussed)and have breathed quite a lot of the machining dust) but to be quite honest I don't think it is much benefit as far as keeping the world "green" is concerned!
    I think however that the phenol itself makes a good disinfectant - we used to have a product called TCP which smelt a lot like it and which we put on our gravel rash etc. when we fell off our bikes as kids! and I noticed that ants smell like it when squashed! - which maybe explains why they like to live in switches and junction boxes etc. (where they sometimes get frazzled and blow up the electronics).
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Neil Check out the carb valve on the engine.

I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Great sound! but those things cost an arm and a leg! - you could build a complete bucket racer for the price!

If you nose dive one of those things into the ground during a "dumb thumb" moment with your transmitter/joystick,(and I've done that) then you're up for big bikkies - the two I totalled were not quite that expensive of course.

They do sound great though, (even if they are four strokes}.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Here's a 3 cylinder radial in a bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redrup radial.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	329994  

Bike
    husaberg
    I remember asking Frits if he had heard of theis engine on the ESE thread years ago
    there was a 4 cylinder 125 version as well I think it was a two stroke Scotch yoke design i beilieve meant to do 16000rpm or higher with a 50HP target
    Nothing came of it, one of many English world beaters
    This is from Mike Moores Eurospares site.

In the 1960s the English had a series of 'world beater" engines that were proposed for construction. Maj. John Treen had several interesting designs. The one he proposed for financing by a special lottery was a type of modular sleeve-valve two stroke he called the "Excalibur" (as it had an X shape to the engine). Mike Dearman has a picture of the 8 cylinder 250cc Excalibur on his site at
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	329996  
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by guyhockley View Post
    Here's a 3 cylinder radial in a bike.
    That's one I've never seen before, interesting layout!

I remember the Excalibur but have never checked out the engine construction. - I don't think it was seen much after that photo was taken.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    The picture I posted of the Redrup radial, I took a few years back in Sammy Miller's museum. One of the Treen Excalibur photos on Michael's website was from the same visit.

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar

Bike
    husaberg
    The picture I posted of the Redrup radial, I took a few years back in Sammy Miller's museum. One of the Treen Excalibur photos on Michael's website was from the same visit.
    Small world, i originally asked Frits about after something i read in an article by Brian Woolley that briefly mentioned it. it was either that or a letter to the editor about a brian wooley article he did for classic racer.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Some nice motors there. Pricey, though.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Also from my earlier visit to Sammy Miller's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Four Pot Fifty.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	330104

The crankcase was made up from layers of half inch (I think) ali plate held together with long through studs. When I went back last year the museum had put it in some unrelated, but contemporary, cycle parts to make a period special that never really existed. They did admit to it, though...
    So, 4 cylinder 50 Bucket?

Bike
    husaberg
    Also from my earlier visit to Sammy Miller's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Four Pot Fifty.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	330104

The crankcase was made up from layers of half inch (I think) ali plate held together with long through studs. When I went back last year the museum had put it in some unrelated, but contemporary, cycle parts to make a period special that never really existed. They did admit to it, though...
    So, 4 cylinder 50 Bucket?
    http://www.classic50racingclub.co.uk...ray-4-cyl.html

Nice photo of the wooller in your photo account.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3354096160_b3d127fbba_z.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	330124
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Can't believe I missed that one way back - around that time (when 50cc racing started at IOM TT in the early sixties) I was mucking around (trying) to tune 50cc Itoms for racing I was achieving around 65 mph when the first Suzuki 50 racer was probably cracking around 100! - My 125 BSA Bantam was cracking 75 mph! when the 125 Suzukis were probably capable of up around 130 mph - but all good fun.
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information