Page 9 of 214 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Hows my 1000cc horizontally oposed bmw boxer 2 stroke coming along?
    The one you specifically want with Plain conrod bearings...........
    Remember I are not allowed to post on the sidecar thread. (cause Warwick said I wasn't funny)
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-819071685.htm
    This gearbox is out of a crashed 2004 R1150RT. The oil has been drained and was clean. All the gears are there and everything looks tidy.
    It is a 6 speed sports box.
    Mileage was about 100k on speedo
    . (thought they would be faster than that)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	266766540.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	306589
    Talk to Neil if you want a big bore boxer......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    husaberg
    Ellwood Hybrid – Single Cylinder Reed Valve Intercooled 4 Stroke Engine

Name:	ellwoodhybrid.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	306648

All sorts of interesting custom bikes and engine projects are coming out of Sweden all of a sudden, or at least, I'm just coming across them, and John Ellwood thought we might like to see one more, it's his Ellwood Hybrid, a single cylinder, 4 stroke with reed valves, from a 2 stroke, mounted on the crankcase directing the crankcase pressure to charge the intake twice per power stoke. The exhaust stroke pumps the intake once and the reed valve holds the charge, the intake stroke pumps it the second time when it goes into the cylinder, so you have a 2 stroke like pumping action from under the piston and a 4 stroke firing cycle.

Name:	ellwoodhybrid3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	306647
    John Ellwood, who built this engine, says hybrid engines working on this principle began back in 1915. John got the idea to build one back in 1994 and he's been working on the constantly evolving project ever since.

The first Ellwood Hybrid was based on a Godden engine, commonly found in speedway motorcycles, he's also built one with a Jawa engine. The first one was converted in a pretty straightforward manner, as John describes it:

A hacksaw, drill and file were enough to slaughter the speedway engine. A bit of rubber pipe, two reed valves from an RD 350, a seal on the crankcase and a carb from a Rotax converted a relic into a Hybrid.

He has both a 500cc version which he says puts out an estimated 50 hp and a 1300cc version doing somewhere around 150 hp. The 1300 is all handcrafted and it's fuel injected and water cooled with 4 crankcase mounted reed valves, a belt driven rotary cross head valve, an intercooler and 15:1 compression.

Name:	ellwoodhybrid5.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	306649
    Ellwood Hybrid reed valve locations on crankcaseJohn has been racing the 500cc version and plans to race the 1300 in Supermono racing in the U.K. so it must run pretty well. I just think it's an interesting combination of 2 and 4 stroke technology.

John has done a lot of work without the resources of any expensive engine building facilities. I wonder how this would run if really refined and, with the right equipment, it would be much easier to determine how much extra power this setup actually provides. Definitely different.

John adds: "...here in Sweden we're having a flying kilometer race at the end of March, Bonneville Salt Flats style - only we do it on ice. I've entered the black 500 Hybrid, and will put on the laughing gas tube, to get a bit extra boost." I checked out the ice racing website and got a chuckle, there's a note, "Don't bring any salt."
    http://thekneeslider.com/ellwood-hyb...stroke-engine/
    http://ellwoodhybrid.webs.com/
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engine...YS%20FZ70S.pdf

This type of engine (more or less the same as the fullsize engine above) has been around for quite a while, this is only a tiny model aero engine, but with this cofiguration, it will easily stay with the two stroke model engines and it easily outperforms all the other model four strokes (in its class), in every way!

Bike
    husaberg

PatOP

I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Some interesting concepts you've dug up this time Husa, hadn't seen it before.

Bike
    husaberg
    Seen plenty in old mags re these never seen one in NZ
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-823714070.htm
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Seen plenty in old mags re these never seen one in NZ
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-823714070.htm
    I found one similar last year when looking for one of those for my trips up the coast. I think it was a homemade version of the rokon, but came off more mountain goat.
    I passed on the deal and just made a few mods to the trimoto, which does the job for now.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Name:	Gobron_Brillie_Engine_by_CRCavazos.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	307821

This thing was actually in production in the early part of the 20th century and used in trucks and fire engines etc. People of the day referred to it as "Gobbling Billy" I think it was British (with a French name) - this must be in Spanish, but I used it anyway because it had the best picture.

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/O...posed-Cylinder.
    This seems to be a modern day similar idea, at first when I saw it I thought it wasn't worth looking at, but I guess it has possibilities - don't think it would be much use on a bike though (unless you mounted a wheel at each end and used it for the frame as well)

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    300+hp from one module is pretty neat, put 4 or 5 together you could make a pretty grunty tractor.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Think this thread needs a good kick up the arse to get it going again! - Haven't got my boots on at the moment though.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes, I have always liked that one, very compact but I guess sealing is a bit of a problem (as it is with most designs which have departed from the old tried and true piston/cylinder/crank engines).

Turbine engines are also well proven, but up till now they have not been suitable for automotive stuff because of "jet lag" in the throttle department.
    However with the possibility of coupling them with clever electric motors for transmission, I think that the promise provided by the cleverly designed and sophisticated engines we have been discussing may eventually bite the dust - sad but true!

There's a lot to be said for simplicity, but all the complicated 'oddball' stuff is very interesting just the same!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yes, I have always liked that one, very compact but I guess sealing is a bit of a problem (as it is with most designs which have departed from the old tried and true piston/cylinder/crank engines).

Turbine engines are also well proven, but up till now they have not been suitable for automotive stuff because of "jet lag" in the throttle department.
    However with the possibility of coupling them with clever electric motors for transmission, I think that the promise provided by the cleverly designed and sophisticated engines we have been discussing may eventually bite the dust - sad but true!

There's a lot to be said for simplicity, but all the complicated 'oddball' stuff is very interesting just the same!
    Aye, too much relative velocity across sealing faces. I do like the in-built 2:1 supercharging though.

Are turbines all that efficient? I know they've made some sizable improvements lately...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Aye, too much relative velocity across sealing faces. I do like the in-built 2:1 supercharging though.

Are turbines all that efficient? I know they've made some sizable improvements lately...
    Well perhaps not, I dunno, but turbines based on common aircraft engines are used in generators for power stations throughout the world, they use fuel which is common, easily obtainable and much lower in price - they certainly won't be bothered by sealing problems!
    Coupled to the common electric motor, they've got to be the best way to go.

That's my guess anyway, but I could be wrong!

Bike
    husaberg
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information