Page 15 of 214 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Those were very successful engines - a bit "busy" as you say, also much more economical than the Pratt & Whitney radials.
    I think they were used on the Bristol Beaufighter, Bristol freighter,Wellington bombers, Stirling bombers, maybe the Halifax and the Sunderland flying boat. the most powerful of that line was (I think) the Centaurus as used on the Hawker Fury/Sea Fury, which was reputed to be the fastest piston powered aircraft ever.
    When Air New Zealand (TEAL in those days) brought in the Short Solent flying boats for the Tasman run the government in it's wisdom decided to use Pratt & Whitney engines instead (probably to get a good deal from America by using war surplus engines more than for any other reason).
    I heard somewhere that when there was a headwind on the way to Sydney they sometimes only just made it with the amount of fuel they carried, whereas the Bristol sleeve valve engines could have made it easily.
    Luckily the passengers of the day weren't aware of the situation and probably also good that they were flying boats!
    Some of the Lancasters used them as well when RR was having trouble supplying the fighters tanks and bombers. supposedly they never gave any trouble until the last 2000HP versions, 38 liters I think.
    Here is an other pic of a sleeve engine a bit more detailed I wonder if a Plated queeze form alloy cermanic liner would work better than a steel liner where's Neil.

A model one wow
    http://www.agelessengines.com/sleeve.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Neil's busy on the bucket foundry forum thread with the RR Merlin!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I notice that when you look through the You Tube videos after watching the ones posted, the last one you looked at remains on the post.

Anyway, I see that someone's experimental sleeve valve engine is based on an old Briggs & Stratton.

The good old Briggs is useful for just about everything, it's seems to be just about the most used and cheapest solution there is for developing an experimental engine.

Bike
    husaberg
    I notice that when you look through the You Tube videos after watching the ones posted, the last one you looked at remains on the post.

Anyway, I see that someone's experimental sleeve valve engine is based on an old Briggs & Stratton.

The good old Briggs is useful for just about everything, it's seems to be just about the most used and cheapest solution there is for developing an experimental engine.
    Google is intuitive they will also recommend stuff in this feature based on what you actually have also watched in the past.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I'm watching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5378.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	399.5 KB 
ID:	313161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5324.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	718.0 KB 
ID:	313162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5323.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	313163  

Bike
    husaberg
    This is what I was talking about with the liners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squeeze form liners.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	313164
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    This is what I was talking about with the liners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squeeze form liners.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	313164
    Husa, must say those liners are a very interesting concept (and available too).

Neil, I thought you might have tried it all out on a Briggs first, but I guess in your case it's easier to build from scratch than try to modify anything.
    BTW, Is there a story behind the 'beam' layout? - there must be, (we won't say a word!)

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Mayflower Engine:-
    This engine I had entirely forgotten about was being touted as the engine of the future - that was around 2000 - 2001.
    It seemed to die along with of its originator, Dr Joe Erlich who died in 2003 and who designed and built some good two stroke racing bikes in the early sixties and actually gave the Hondas a run for their money - with Mike Hailwood aboard!

The Mayflower engine has a very interesting linkage system which can make some radical changes to the stroke, but unfortunately this video is the only real description of it I have found recently.

Can't seem to get the link to work as yet from this site, but just punch in "Mayflower Engine" and the video will be at the top of the list (probably).

Bike
    husaberg
    This engine I had entirely forgotten about was being touted as the engine of the future that was around 2000 - 2001.
    It seemed to die along with of it's origiDr Joe Erlich in 2003 who designed and built some good two stroke racing bikes in the early sixties and actually gave the Hondas a run for their money - with Mike Hailwood aboard!

This engine has a very interesting linkage system which can make some radical changes to the stroke but unfortunately this video is the only real description of it I have found recently.

NUtps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeVlJn3TzN
    You might need to work on that link?
    Right click on it and chose the embedded media option and paste it in.

I guess this is what you mean Dr Joe had a history of er...... borrowing other peoples engines. From Puch MZ and others.
    Name:  enveng.png
Views: 71
Size:  37.9 KB
    http://www.docscipark.com.au/ee_tech.html
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes that might be true (and so did Suzuki), but at least he did try and if he hadn't done that, we wouldn't have seen or heard of it because it was hidden behind the Iron curtain!
    In the case of Suzuki, they probably would have handed out big dollars for Ernst Degner to "obtain" the secrets of MZ.

BTW is Lindsay Stirling keen on bikes and engines too? - or has you tube a bit haywire for you too?

Bike
    husaberg
    Yes that might be true (and so did Suzuki), but at least he did try and if he hadn't done that, we wouldn't have seen or heard of it because it was hidden behind the Iron curtain!
    In the case of Suzuki, they probably would have handed out big dollars for Ernst Degner to "obtain" the secrets of MZ.

BTW is Lindsay Stirling keen on bikes and engines too? - or has you tube a bit haywire for you too?
    No that was the closet pic google could find to what you tried to link linked I left it as there was a Stirling engine (and I would also ride her)
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    No that was the closet pic google could find to what you tried to link linked I left it as there was a Stirling engine (and I would also ride her)
    And what class would that be in? to me, looks like it would be a works ride, you sure you could handle that?

Bike
    husaberg
    And what class would that be in? to me, looks like it would be a works ride, you sure you could handle that?
    I would finish first guarantied.
    What video were you trying to link?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    What video were you trying to link?
    Just one on a small experimental sleeve valve engine based on a Briggs & Stratton,(guess).
    I copied the link but each time it just came up with something else, so I gave up.

EDIT, Sorry, I see now that it's the video you posted anyway, as you can see, the inlet and exhaust ports of the original side valve engine are still there.
    (post # 211).

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    The Mayflower engine. (another try I think it's very interesting). Reckon it would be worth a try for some keen engine developer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeVlJn3TzNU

Thread Information