Page 6 of 214 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Back on Post #52,
    Been going over the turbocharger thing again and getting to slowly understand it, seems like a good idea cutting out the losses associated with driving a turbine and rotor, still looks like some idea from cuckooland but it obviously is reality, it works and is up and running !

BTW, UNSTUCK
    Deutschland is Germany, Nederland is Holland, and the video narrator is probably speaking German (Deutsch) in a Swiss dialect.
    But don't quote me!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Another scrapbook snippet from around 1963, - haven't heard much about it since!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirtless Piston 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	306256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirtless Piston 002.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	306257

Anybody out there want to try doing a rebore?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Another scrapbook snippet from around 1963, - haven't heard much about it since!
    Have heard of skirtless roller bearing pistons being used in high speed applications, but know nothing about it really.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Another one I had tucked away - There is virtually no info on this unique engine, at least not on the net anyway. So in order to save it from extinction, I'm trying to make sure it is on the net!
    However, this seems to be the only half decent record of it left, at least in the public domain, (haven't checked for a patent yet), but you never know.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wardill Engine 001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	306259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wardill Engine 2 001.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	306260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wardill Engine 3 001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	306261

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Another one I had tucked away - There is virtually no info on this unique engine, at least not on the net anyway. So in order to save it from extinction, I'm trying to make sure it is on the net!
    However, this seems to be the only half decent record of it left, at least in the public domain, (haven't checked for a patent yet), but you never know.....
    What the..........

That is some pretty radical thinking for sure.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Exercycle
    However, this seems to be the only half decent record of it left, at least in the public domain, (haven't checked for a patent yet), but you never know.....
    The Wardill is in Irving's Two Stroke Power Units - which is probably out of print. My copy seems to be the first edition dated 1967 - no idea if it was ever reprinted.
    quoting old Phil..."There is probably no possible combination of piston,crankshaft or valve arrangement which has been overlooked, a rather sobering thought for any budding inventors"...
    For more odd two strokes he recommends C F Caunter's The Two-Cycle Engine - also probably long out of print.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Glad to hear that there is some stuff on it still around.
    There are a few sites around which sell online copies of old long forgotten books and a while ago I downloaded one (from around WW1 up to near WW2) on two strokes - all deflector piston types. Unfortunately I'm still trying to locate it, I haven't found it - but I will!

I'm not really into collecting (as a collector) to be honest, I only collect the stuff I'm interested in at the time. However,the time has come to share what I do have before those who consider it junk consign it to the tip. While I've still got breath in my body, it won't be going there!
    Being a fitter & turner type I have tended to collect more than my fair share of junk over the years

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    WilDun, you be careful, when we had to clean up my dad's place we sent 100 ton of steel off the property. He was a bit of a buldozer collector. We gave away as much as we could ( to the right people ) but still ended up with 40 ton of to scrap. I kept one of the little Cat D2's here, start it ( petrol starter engine ) up from time to time and just drive it around the back yard.
    I came home from that exercise and disposed of all my projects exccept the few I thought I might finish.

Bike
    motocompo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirtless Piston 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	306256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skirtless Piston 002.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	306257

Anybody out there want to try doing a rebore?
    The Wabco suspension compressor in the boot of a X5 BMW has a piston Conrod assembly like that.
    They suffer from massive bore wear just below tdc where the piston rocks, even just as an air compressor.
    It would have been an epic fail as a combustion engine.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The Wardill is in Irving's Two Stroke Power Units - which is probably out of print. My copy seems to be the first edition dated 1967 - no idea if it was ever reprinted.
    quoting old Phil..."There is probably no possible combination of piston,crankshaft or valve arrangement which has been overlooked, a rather sobering thought for any budding inventors"...
    For more odd two strokes he recommends C F Caunter's The Two-Cycle Engine - also probably long out of print.
    Also....
    The Wardill engine gets a guernsey in both the Third and Fourth editions of "Two-Stroke Motor Cycles" printed by Iliffe & Sons. The Fourth edition also includes a good cross section drawing of the engine.
    http://www.classicmotorcycleforum.co...hp?topic=477.0

Wardill was a motorcycle produced between 1927 and 1928
    • A attempt was made to adopt a separate pumping cylinder, instead of relying upon crankcase compression to perform the function. A pumping cylinder was formed around, and concentric with, the working cylinder, the pumping piston having an annular form, with the working piston and its cylinder passing through the centre. The working piston fastened to a connecting rod driven from the crankshaft, as in standard practice, but the pumping piston was was supported by two rods, each eccentrically mounted from the main shafts either side of the big-end throw. This arrangement was neat and compact, and the engine performed well under racing conditions. The complete machine, on sale in 1927, had a 346cc engine, chain drive and an Albion three-speed gearbox.
    http://cybermotorcycle.com/euro/wiki...-and-Sons.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails article_whatHappenedToWardill.pdf   article_anotherNovelTwoStroke.pdf  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately the link on that page is dead. Shame.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Unfortunately the link on that page is dead. Shame.
    But if I only knew an forum administrator who could trace dead links
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    WilDun, you be careful, when we had to clean up my dad's place we sent 100 ton of steel off the property. He was a bit of a buldozer collector. We gave away as much as we could ( to the right people ) but still ended up with 40 ton of to scrap. I kept one of the little Cat D2's here, start it ( petrol starter engine ) up from time to time and just drive it around the back yard.
    I came home from that exercise and disposed of all my projects exccept the few I thought I might finish.
    Is it a narrow gauge one? I sold one a few years ago and it went that way somewhere.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Blah

Great to see all this stuff coming up here which would not have otherwise been known about! - this thread seems to be a great outlet for all things combustible (internal mostly).
    Seems most of us are interested in all sorts of engines and machinery which is great! - This whole forum (Kiwi Biker) is really very good I must say.

HUSA, & GRUMPH - Glad you have all that extra stuff on the Wardill, I tried other places and the info was very scarce indeed - at least it's on the net now!

FLETTNER, - Doing laps on your little CAT could do nicely as a substitute for the Kawa when you get older! - you could use it to test your experimental engines on! (starter motors)

I've decided that things need to be leaving my (super saturated) garage now instead of building up. - (anyone want a Honda Gyro? - you know, the little 50cc three wheel scooter which allows you to lean)?
    My original plan was to use it as a substitute for a bike, as I just can't afford to fall off anymore, but I would have to ride it on the footpaths as a mobility scooter, or in traffic which isn't ideal! - Unfortunately it's just taking up space now.

Bike
    motocompo
    Is the Gyro the model with the roof & windscreen with wiper?

Thread Information