Page 7 of 214 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    The Wabco suspension compressor in the boot of a X5 BMW has a piston Conrod assembly like that.
    They suffer from massive bore wear just below tdc where the piston rocks, even just as an air compressor.
    It would have been an epic fail as a combustion engine.
    Yeah, I had misgivings about how good that thing would have turned out! I'd say that the transition from one ring to another (as I see it) would have been akin to using a scraper on the bore, - looks good though!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Is the Gyro the model with the roof & windscreen with wiper?
    Yes, windscreen with wiper etc. but no roof,( earlier uglier model ) not sure what year but had been used on a golf course for years without the fairing etc. on it. - they are all the same basically but later ones have different front suspension, some models have teleforks, early ones leading link, the newer ones use trailing link (as in most scooters) and have 'prettier' plastics changes.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Don't want to get too far away from the original theme of the thread, but worth a look here:-

http://www.ridesonfire.com/movie-1/h...CrjWPolLcQ.htm

Not that I ever wanted to race it of course, but looks like fun - note the ordinary three wheelers don't get around as quick as the Gyro, even with it's narrow track!

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Wonder if I could turn my trimoto into one of them, be good for a giggle.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Is it a narrow gauge one? I sold one a few years ago and it went that way somewhere.
    I believe it is a narrow gauge, dad had owned this tractor since about 1995 I think, did it all up as new, paint, stickers and everything. I thought it came from Feilding way.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I believe it is a narrow gauge, dad had owned this tractor since about 1995 I think, did it all up as new, paint, stickers and everything. I thought it came from Feilding way.
    Cool.
    Sold mine about 05 06 I think, so not the same one. Rejuvenated a D4 after that went, it had been sitting out in the rain for 13 yrs with nothing covering the exhaust so I had to smash the pistons out with a big hammer and resleeve it. But got it running fine and used it for a year before moving it on and getting a TD6 and Td9 to play with.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I was getting to them.. unstuck and will said slow down lol

Dads got on in the back yard, it has some patents on either the block or the supercharger relating to Kadencey as in Michel Kadenacy
    I was talking to my father last night, Correction re Commer engines dad has about 5 of them now.
    Next time I am around there I will take a few piccies, he said a few are in bits I would be interested to see the insides of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I was talking to my father last night, Correction re Commer engines dad has about 5 of them now.
    That'll be good to see, I've never seen the internals of one of those. I was thinking that they couldn't all have disappeared and there must be quite a few scattered around the country, at least we now know where 5 of them are!

I have read that a TS3 engine was used in England in the development of a super economical engine - not sure of the results but I do have the article on it somewhere and I'll try and dig it up later.

Bike
    1944 RE 1

The Norton Kneeler

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/16...n-Kneeler.aspx

Although this is an American site, they seem to have the best info on this machine. It had a relatively conventional Norton 350 Manx engine, yet managed 146mph in 1953!
    I can actually remember it's first race at the NW200 - Went like the clappers but ended up parked up someone's driveway half way round the circuit, after it overheated and stopped on the second lap!

We called it the "Eggshell Norton", aptly named maybe but everyone was waiting to see it. It did have some real potential, or at least would have had if they had been allowed clutch starts in those days! - can you imagine trying to bump start that thing off the grid, then trying to clamber aboard!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norton-kneeler.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	306360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norton Kneeler.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	306361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1953-norton-350-kneeler-prototypes-specials-great-britain-motorcycle-photo-car_361102271789.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	306362

Bike
    husaberg

Bike
    The pirate bike. Arr-arr!
    Heres a MODERN oddball motorcycle

A 1400cc parallel twin 4 conrod twin counter-rotating cranksaft turbo diesel motorbike made by Neander motors

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL0QyScysQk

One write up i read said it works well if somewhat noisy typical of a diesel motor
    It can run on just about any light oil like the diesel motor was originally designed to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neander 1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	306381  

Bike
    The pirate bike. Arr-arr!
    I think this guy Wolfhart mustve been smoking some strong sh!t when he envisaged this one.
    Not a motorbike engine but very odd'BALL'

Name:  Wolfhart_engine3.gif
Views: 56
Size:  175.8 KB

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wolfhart_Engine

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjVaixYy08

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribit View Post
    I think this guy Wolfhart mustve been smoking some strong sh!t when he envisaged this one.
    Maybe it'll get nowhere in this form but the principle is very interesting just the same!

For someone to get it to this stage they wouldn't have been smoking at all, ie judging by the state of some of the apprentices I (tried) to instruct - they were smoking, but in their state, they certainly could not have thought up anything like that, useful or not! - all they could ever do was wreck machinery!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbwCbBdVPg

Quite surprised this one hasn't come up yet!
    The Duke engine is well into it's development now and this has been happening right on my doorstep here in Auckland just a few miles (Kms ?) from where I live.

It seems to be a modern development of the 'axial piston wobble plate' engine used by Bristol Tramways between the wars and with modern metallurgy, it should meet with a lot more success.

It is now well advanced and working quite well it seems and I hope that they can break into the automotive or aircraft market (a daunting task).

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbwCbBdVPg

Quite surprised this one hasn't come up yet!
    The Duke engine is well into it's development now and this has been happening right on my doorstep here in Auckland just a few miles from where I live.

It seems to be a modern development of the 'axial piston wobble plate' engine used by Bristol Tramways between the wars and with modern metallurgy, it should meet with a lot more success.

The development is now well advanced and working quite well and I hope that they can break into the automotive or aircraft market (a daunting task).
    That is super cool.

Thread Information