Page 169 of 214 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3197

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    I think there's a bit of a parallel between Altec and Norman Hossack's early bikes, in that lots gets said about the front and the unconventional rear ends get somewhat ignored.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hossack swing arm.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	340487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_tt2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	340488  

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by guyhockley View Post
    I think there's a bit of a parallel between Altec and Norman Hossack's early bikes, in that lots gets said about the front and the unconventional rear ends get somewhat ignored.
    Yamaha according to the blub in a road test of the tilting three wheeled Niken say they found when it was tested on a Motogp bike it could corner 5km faster in the dry and more of a difference in the wet than the conventional set up. the extra weight and width and aero drag slowed it down on the straights though (plus it had three wheels so it wasn't ever going to be bloody legal anyway)
    Yes i laughed too first time i saw the pics of it, but i think its quirkyness is growing on me. much like Uma Thurman or Velma from scooby doo.
    but seeing how it works there might be more of them in the future even if it just gives us cheap single sided forks to dress up the Friday night specials to go along with the fashion accessory high exhaust and single sided swingarm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	niken.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	340490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019_Yamaha_Niken-8.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	407.8 KB 
ID:	340491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	we-now-know-what-tic-9.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	340489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha-niken-top-speed.png 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	340492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NIKEN_steering_linkage.jpg 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	340493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 22.07.50.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	340494

The link at the frount called the Ackerman steering principal was invented and patented in 1818. (thats not a typo either)
    The Yamaha has the 850 Three cylinder out of the MT09 so with 115 Hp and a R1 gearbox it should keep up with traffic okay.
    I remember how much fun top gear had with the leaning car even Jezza who hates bikes
    Said Never had so much fun in a car.

Well the way i see it the niken is a far better set up.
    Throw another set of wheels on ther rear like an ATV and a simple body and run it up Pikes Peak or Cadrona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I turn my back for a moment and when I turned around and looked in again there had been some sort of Tsunami of bike information! Guy, I hope that you have left some stuff in your archives for later! and please don't encourage Husa to spill his guts as well ..... too much information for guys like me and it will take me bloody months to fight my way through it all! - and because I haven't gone through it all I would like to have my recollection confirmed re: the Nessie front end. ... is it entirely based on the original DiFazio suspension and hub centre steering?
    BTW, Nessie sure looked Messy!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    I must say that I think that the Niken front end design, despite the obvious & known advantages of a twin wheel front end, to be absolutely hideous. Compare to the relative elegance of the TriCity or the MPS, where the suspension is between the wheels, not outside.
    My opinion only though.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    I must say that I think that the Niken front end design, despite the obvious & known advantages of a twin wheel front end, to be absolutely hideous. Compare to the relative elegance of the TriCity or the MPS, where the suspension is between the wheels, not outside.
    My opinion only though.
    Mine too, Ken.

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Walter Kaaden at MZ reportedly commented that he knew a 2T exhaust was getting near the right dimensions when it couldn't be put on the bike without dragging, burning the rider, or requiring the relocation of some other major component (including the rider).

Somewhat like this Zabel RGV special:

Attachment 340390

cheers,
    Michael
    It can be ridden, here's the proof!
    With bigger cylinders the length can be a problem, see the TZ350Gs. The Tularis is absolutely fantastic, but, by my reckoning it wouldn't be legal to race in the UK unless they've changed the rule about exhausts not protruding beyond the back of the rear wheel.
    Then again we used to have a rule about keeping your feet on the footrests...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zabel RGV Page 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	673.9 KB 
ID:	340510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zabel RGV Page 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	718.9 KB 
ID:	340511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zabel RGV Page 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	819.6 KB 
ID:	340512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zabel RGV Page 4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	819.9 KB 
ID:	340513  

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    I turn my back for a moment and when I turned around and looked in again there had been some sort of Tsunami of bike information! Guy, I hope that you have left some stuff in your archives for later! and please don't encourage Husa to spill his guts as well ..... too much information for guys like me and it will take me bloody months to fight my way through it all! - and because I haven't gone through it all I would like to have my recollection confirmed re: the Nessie front end. ... is it entirely based on the original DiFazio suspension and hub centre steering?
    BTW, Nessie sure looked Messy!
    Sorry, Wil, injured ankle so forced to sit down with my feet up. MRI scan on thursday, not looking forward to it. Apparently it's got to be the full body, just for one bloody ankle! They sent a form - one of the questions was "Have you EVER had any metal fragments enter your eyes eg while drilling or grinding". So no worries!
    I believe Nessie was based on DiFazio's HCS. There's a few of his front ends around here, but I now live about 30 minutes from where his shop was so not surprising, really.

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Yamaha according to the blub in a road test of the tilting three wheeled Niken say they found when it was tested on a Motogp bike it could corner 5km faster in the dry and more of a difference in the wet than the conventional set up. the extra weight and width and aero drag slowed it down on the straights though (plus it had three wheels so it wasn't ever going to be bloody legal anyway).
    I don't know if there's any proof but pub talk is that lots of TTWs get crashed. It's supposedly the old risk compensation thing, people think the things are uncrashable so they push them further then find out there is a limit.

Bike
    husaberg
    Sorry, Wil, injured ankle so forced to sit down with my feet up. MRI scan on thursday, not looking forward to it. Apparently it's got to be the full body, just for one bloody ankle! They sent a form - one of the questions was "Have you EVER had any metal fragments enter your eyes eg while drilling or grinding". So no worries!
    I believe Nessie was based on DiFazio's HCS. There's a few of his front ends around here, but I now live about 30 minutes from where his shop was so not surprising, really.
    Have you had one before if you haven't make sure you get the headphones unlesss you really like weird loud electronica music.
    Some of the process at one stage was rattling my teeeth they never mentioned that . I cant inagine what having a MRI done would be like if you were anyway claustrophobic either.
    On the plus side it was better than the ultrasound i had once that made you feel like you were peeing your pants. Now thats a bloody odd feeling to have as an adult.

I don't know if there's any proof but pub talk is that lots of TTWs get crashed. It's supposedly the old risk compensation thing, people think the things are uncrashable so they push them further then find out there is a limit.
    I don't think i could ever ride one, certainly not buy one. Far to much ugly and its not a bike with the extra wheel.
    But i think if the concept was doubled up at the rear given a bit of car body work and a haf decent engine.
    it could be a good cross over seller a lot of bike riders wont buy a 3 wheeler
    A lot of car driver would like to try a bike but are too concerned re safety or there misses is. (they are the ones over represented in the crash stats to those middle aged returned bikers)
    i think a cross over that blended some of the fun of leaning etc plus rapid F1 acceleration and stopping but had an enclosed body and safety aspects of a car
    might attract a newer market to bikes lord knows the numbers are dropping. plus it might be bloody good fun.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Talking about those three wheelers, I have been interested in them for a very long time and even went to the trouble of buying a Honda Gyro - bit of a toy really so I sold it about a year later (didn't feel too safe on the road, - too small, slow and twichy, but I loved the lean!).

I should maybe explain that my neck and spine are completely frozen - C/W steel rods attached by screws (and no support for neck), so I can't even contemplate riding a two wheeler, the fear of dropping it and being laid up forever (or dead) - just too much! - could happen in even a moderate car crash I guess, but I try not to think about that!
    That's why I only talk about bikes and don't put my money where my mouth is! - please forgive me. I do not want to appear a "know it all" - most of what I say is suggestion only, feel free to point out where I'm wrong, if ever you believe that I am!

So ...... Not so sure that leaning front wheels (as in the machinery being discussed) are really necessary, as a normal car type suspension setup would work in conjunction with a leaning rear section (a la motorcycle) and would do fine - with more contact area too!.
    My feeling is that the leaning part (complete with rider etc) could still interact with the steering linkages??

Anyway, just my thoughts - right or wrong! - but I guess we still have that residual love of motorcycles in our system, we want it to look like a bike, as in Yamaha's ridiculous (looking) offering and it would seem that we just can't wean ourselves away from that!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Talking about those three wheelers, I have been interested in them for a very long time and even went to the trouble of buying a Honda Gyro - bit of a toy really so I sold it about a year later (didn't feel too safe on the road, - too small, slow and twichy, but I loved the lean!)
    I should maybe explain that my neck and spine are completely frozen - C/W steel rods attached by screws (and no support for neck), so I can't even contemplate riding a two wheeler, the fear of dropping it and being laid up forever (or dead) - just too much! - could happen in even a moderate car crash I guess, but I try not to think about that!
    That's why I only talk about bikes and don't put my money where my mouth is! - please forgive me. I do not want to appear a "know it all" - most of what I say is suggestion only, feel free to point out where I'm wrong, if ever you believe that I am!

So ...... Not so sure that leaning front wheels (as in the machinery being discussed) are really necessary, as a normal car type suspension setup would work in conjunction with a leaning rear section (a la motorcycle) and would do fine - with more contact area too!.
    My feeling is that the leaning part (complete with rider etc) could still interact with the steering linkages??

Anyway, just my thoughts - right or wrong! - but I guess, we still have that residual love of motorcycles in our system, we want it to look like la bike, as in Yamaha's ridiculous (looking) offering and we can't wean ourselves away from that!
    what i think you are ye kind od suggesting is what the carver kind of is. other than the front end.

The tilting front suspension decreases the turning radius, the more further its tilted the tighter it turns from mremorory the inner and out wheel are at different angles on the niken to account for the diferent distance traveled etc.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    what i think you are ye kind od suggesting is what the carver kind of is. other than the front end.
    The tilting front suspension decreases the turning radius, the more further its tilted the tighter it turns from mremorory the inner and out wheel are at different angles on the niken to account for the diferent distance traveled etc.
    Not really, I was talking about two wheels up front, the back end (the leaning bit) effectively still being a motorcycle and the front (in effect), being a car. The Carver concept (arguably more similar to the little Honda Gyro), never actually took off to become the complete answer - it has been around for a while now!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Maybe a nice Greeves Invacar instead?

Name:	4921021874_f2b87b42d3_b.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	340519

Bike
    Exercycle

Name:	4921021874_f2b87b42d3_b.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	340519
    Hell no - those things are lethal. made for ex servicemen who'd survived the war and were fearless....
    Derry Preston - Cobb's one finished up with a full house motocross engine in it. Mad....

Every race meeting I go to now, there's a couple of the Niken's parked for the use of officials. Yamaha here are pushing them as an alternative "normal" - to what end I don't yet know.
    Ugly bloody things.

Enjoy the MRI, Guy. The iodine base dye is almost as good as the original one used in angiograms. That gave an instant hot flush allover.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Way ahead of it's time! (looks like a disc brake up front), but then maybe my eyesight isn't so good, I thought those things with legs were pigs! :msn-wink - wouldn't be surprised if it was a 'tilter' as well :- maybe not, that muffler might get in the way.

I do remember on the way home from school having to push a guy who had stalled his - the starter didn't work due to a low battery.
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information