Page 208 of 213 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3183

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    none
    Something I just encountered on that other great forum ( http://www.pit-lane.biz/t117p246-gp1...-part-1-locked ).

Nothing to do with motorcycles, but this is definitely a two-stroke:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSo34HQCac#t=1m30s

Now this has something to do with motorcycles:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piling rig.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	350072

Your thoughts please?

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Something I just encountered on that other great forum ( http://www.pit-lane.biz/t117p246-gp1...-part-1-locked ).

Now this has something to do with motorcycles:

Name:	piling rig.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	350072

Your thoughts please?
    Never interested in hammers before, but indeed from video looks like two stroke open engine with real piston, thank you Frits

But for motorcycle, some backward horizontal force occurs on arc, when the cylinder falls down and gradually changes direction from vertical to horizontal, too.

Reminds me old compressor ( engine on the paper), just because of "arc traveling" nothing more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compressor.gif 
Views:	21 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	350074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arc cylinder.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	350075  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The Russian army tried strapping those to their feet.
    And they could out-run an unequipped runner. Briefly.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    none

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    More HCCI engines. It's a four stroke, sleeve valve engine. They obviously didn't read Ricardo on sleeve valves, but because of the seal type lubrication might not be a problem.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...-20120424.html

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    More HCCI engines. It's a four stroke, sleeve valve engine. They obviously didn't read Ricardo on sleeve valves, but because of the seal type lubrication might not be a problem.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...-20120424.html

Lohring Miller
    Lohring, - just having a quick look in after a long time - I see you have not been fully sold on the EV just yet! (guess you are part way there though!)
    If we refuse to convert to electricity, then we will all be forcibly removed by those in power (or who want to be! as we are seeing in some countries today!) ...... These people in power (in every nation) have already more or less suffocated the two stroke to death, next the four stroke? - we are in a rapidly changing world - our old post war freedoms and opportunity to be enterprising quite frankly are disappearing fast! - (mine are now long gone with changing times within the family anyway!)
    Bright future! -
    Then again, I could bury my head in the sand, become an optimist and tell myself not to worry and that it'll come right, but I feel somehow that I'll need to stop myself aging in order to ever see that! ........ (What a misery guts! ) ........... Happy new year!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Will, I'm very sold on my Tesla, but I love the complexity of IC engines. Two strokes are even more fascinating since even modern computers have a hard time simulating all the aspects of their operation. However, my Tesla costs at least $100 US less to operate per month than my last IC car. For that it has used an average of 300 kW per 100 miles over the last 50,000 miles. That's around the equivalent of 100 miles per gallon. I also get the ability to accelerate from say 45 mph to close to 100 mph in the length of a semi when I pass. Autopilot makes highway driving much more relaxing, and it pays better attention to traffic than I do. Over the air updates fix most issues and improve the basic car. In contrast my wife's Hyundai needed the engine replaced because of a software glitch in the knock sensor.

I'm afraid the handwriting is on the wall, but it will take years for the complete transformation. After all, we still have horses, just not for every day transportation. Old guys like us will still love the sound of a big V8 or aircraft radial at startup.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Will, I'm very sold on my Tesla, but I love the complexity of IC engines. Two strokes are even more fascinating ............. .However, my Tesla costs at least $100 US less to operate per month than my last IC car. ..... around the equivalent of 100 miles per gallon.

I'm afraid the handwriting is on the wall, but it will take years for the complete transformation. Old guys like us will still love the sound of a big V8 or aircraft radial at startup.............

Lohring Miller
    Yes it will all be good for cities to have EV and also will be good in all the developed countries with a solid infastructure (if it's not destroyed by lunatic Presidents (many candidates for that role these days!) - There are many countries where there will never be any noticible infrastructure - and I guess the humble two stroke in another form (generator) could be beneficial! - but I recently advised my son not to get an electric car (maybe I shouldn't have) for driving up here to (Auckland - a two hour country trip) each week for a couple of days - he pointed out how cheap it would be and I said that when this thing gets in full swing the power stations (here in NZ ) will not be able to cope (we use hydro) and the price of electricity would soar! so I advised him to wait also because there were much better batteries on the horizon so then his nice new electric car would become obsolete! - He has a little old school Mazda now (which is well proven and economical) and which will serve him well in the interim! - just hope I was right! ........ But - horses for courses I guess!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    New Zealand is a lot like Oregon where I live. Most of our power comes from dams and wind in the Columbia river gorge. Most of my charging is done at home nights and is good for trips of around 200 miles if needed. I bet there's plenty of power available late at night or early in the morning for home charging.

Fast chargers are needed for trips. However, they cost twice as much as home charging. New Zealand's long narrow shape makes locating charging stations easier and there are a lot of them. See below. I usually need to stop every 2 or 3 hours to pee or eat. The car usually charges at these stops and is ready to go when I'm ready.

Take a look at the power plant of a dual motor Model 3 below. Those two red objects put out somewhere between 450 and 500 hp in my car when you need it. Imagine what commercial IC engines with this performance look like.

Lohring Miller

Name:	main-qimg-fb437829dddcd53a5173fc1964589f17.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	350840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-qimg-7c2ce5df129b372da16ec530ca0ac5f8.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	350839

Name:	tesla-s-chief-motor-engineer-discusses-model-3-motor-tech.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	350841

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    New Zealand is a lot like Oregon where I live. Most of our power comes from dams and wind in the Columbia river gorge. Most of my charging is done at home nights and is good for trips of around 200 miles if needed. ...........

........ Take a look at the power plant of a dual motor Model 3 below. Those two red objects put out somewhere between 450 and 500 hp in my car when you need it. Imagine what commercial IC engines with this performance look like.

Lohring Miller
    Yes there are strong similarities between here and Oregon - especially our South Island! - I guess we are ok for power etc etc, (in the meantime) but will probably need to build new hydro plants! - but I guess someone will eventually try to give us a "good deal" on a Nuclear plant! (with lots of reassurances to clinch the deal!) and we'll take the easy way out! - however, these little islands of ours are not called the "Shaky Isles" for no reason and we do need to take notice of what happens in Japan! - BTW I use a mobility scooter and to be honest I think that electrics are excellent! - but batteries (in cars etc) still do require some attention regarding cost and durability and how to dispose of them! - but the torque and simplicity of an electric motor is unbeatable! - now, ........ we just have to find a spot for a two stroke powerplant somewhere in the equation !
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Just having the customary look in here again and nothing has moved (got to get it moving again!)

Looks like the battle between Hydrogen and Battery Storage is still on! - It seems that someone has found a way to store Hydrogen in Silica without needing to be pressurised at all and is safe to transport (much safer than most conventional fuels or lipo batteries)

it is essentially sand (somehow) containing Hydrogen, which can be released just by the addition of good old H2O!! This is then good for use in either internal combustion engines or to produce electricity from a fuel cell!
    They say it is already reality and sounds like it might be a great solution.

As always, I guess we shouldn't just dive in straight away, at least until it has been proven on actual vehicles! but here's hoping! at least it is a (last) chance to extend the life of the fast dying good old Two Stroke!

https://interestingengineering.com/i...-hydrogen-fuel

https://www.epro-atech.com/media
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    It seems that someone has found a way to store Hydrogen in Silica without needing to be pressurised at all and is safe to transport (much safer than most conventional fuels or lipo batteries)

it is essentially sand (somehow) containing Hydrogen, which can be released just by the addition of good old H2O!
    https://interestingengineering.com/i...-hydrogen-fuel
    https://www.epro-atech.com/media
    Storing hydrogen without the need to pressurize or cool it is commendable. But I can't see me refueling first with a shovel and then at a water pump. And do I have to remove the sand that is formed after extracting the hydrogen with that shovel or can I just scatter it on the street? That would be good in slippery winter conditions.

I still think the best way to store hydrogen atoms is to package them between carbon atoms: the so-called hydrocarbons; you may have heard of those.
    You can already get hydrocarbons at every gas station these days. A reformer under the hood can release the hydrogen. The efficiency will be slightly lower than that of pure hydrogen, but on the other hand the infrastructure is ready-made, which you cannot say for gaseous or liquid hydrogen. And what remains of the efficiency of pure hydrogen if you first have to produce the stuff, then cool it, compress it and transport it?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Storing hydrogen without the need to pressurize or cool it is commendable. But I can't see me refueling first with a shovel and then at a water pump. And do I have to remove the sand that is formed after extracting the hydrogen with a shovel, or can I just scatter it on the street? That would be good in slippery winter conditions.

I still think the best way to store hydrogen atoms is to package them between carbon atoms: the so-called hydrocarbons; you may have heard of those.
    You can already get hydrocarbons at every gas station these days. A reformer under the hood can release the hydrogen. The efficiency will be slightly lower than that of pure hydrogen, but on the other hand the infrastructure is ready-made, which you cannot say for gaseous or liquid hydrogen. And what remains of the efficiency of pure hydrogen if you first have to produce the stuff, then cool it, compress it and transport it?
    Everybody needs a little excercise sometime and I would prefer shoveling that stuff than trying to dig a grave for an extinct battery or be blown to kingdom come by an exploding hydrogen cylinder (that sand would probably be fine for making casting patterns in my next home foundry, in my next garage, for my next two stroke engine (but I haven't asked the boss lady yet if that's ok!) - I'm sure she will be quite enthusiastic when I explain it all to her!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1964 Vespa GS
    There's been some advancement on solar to syngas as well

https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/...ecsectitle0010
    Patrick Owens
    www.OopsClunkThud.com

Bike
    husaberg
    I was reading about the cross rotary valve it turned out he invented a new kind of way of making piston rings whist he was doing it and lost interest as that was great money spinner.
    What i would like to know is could a lab seal be used to provide a gas seal?
    i understand the rotary valves biggest issue is distortion with it seemingly being ceramics not providing the complete solution as "coates" have been working on this for 20 years.
    the early ones cooled with copious oil to lube and cool but it was dirty

Could the rotating ball housing have sodium in it to splash around to even up the heat.

Name:	1950%20Rotary%20Valve%20Engine%20Thumb.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	351561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross-valve.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	351562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross-Principle.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	351563

The two spherical ones with two valves have advantages bit maybe these are also disadvantages.

one of my first posts was a Aussie diy one i like better.

Name:	Deane head 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	351566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deane head 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	351565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deane head 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	351564
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information